Saturday 24 February 2024

John Craig, (?-5/2/1864). "deceased was a murdered man"


Alfred Cluney, late cook on board the s.s. Queen, was yesterday apprehended by Detective Farrell, on suspicion of having murdered John Craig, the late engineer of that vessel. The prisoner was apprehended in a shanty near the Water of Leith. He will be brought before the Magistrate today. The inquest on the body of Craig stands adjourned until to-morrow afternoon.  -Otago Daily Times, 4/2/1864.


The inquest on the body of John Craig, late engineer of the Queen,, steamer, will be resumed to-day. We regret to hear that the postmortem examination of the body has fully confirmed the worst fears that the unfortunate man met his death by foul means: there are extensive fractures of the skull, which were not visible externally, corresponding with the scalp wounds. Alfred Cluney, the chief cook of the vessel, who is in custody, on suspicion of being concerned in the matter, was brought up at the Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday ; and his statement will be found at full length in our police report.  -Otago Daily Times, 5/2/1864.


THE SUSPECTED MURDER OF AN ENGINEER.

There has been much interest excited respecting the probable cause of the death of John Craig, late chief engineer of the screw-steamer Queen. It will be remembered that his body was found in the Bay, not far from the Jetty, on Monday afternoon; and that it presented appearances warranting the fear that his death had been foully caused. The inquest was commenced on Tuesday at the London Tavern, Jetty street, by Dr. Hocken, the coroner, and the following evidence was then taken: —

Frank Liardet: I am a boatman residing in Melville street. About four o'clock on Monday afternoon, I was going off from the Jetty in the whaleboat Lola Montes, accompanied by four other men, for the purpose of landing passengers from the Golden Age. When about 300 or 400 yards from the jetty, I saw what I thought was a coat floating. I made for it, and discovered the body of the deceased. I took him into the boat. I found a wound on his forehead. On taking him into the boat, some money, amounting to 11s 6d, fell from his pocket, into the boat, and some other money fell into the water. On reaching the Jetty I immediately informed the police, who took charge of the body. I have seen the deceased, but I did not know him. When I first saw him in the water, he was floating away in the direction of Port Chalmers, with the wind and tide. From, the position of the body, I should judge that the deceased fell or was thrown into the water on the Anderson's Bay side of the jetty, because the wind and tide were going on the same side, and would probably have carried the body clear of it. The hands and knees of the deceased were bent and contracted.

Charles D. Ferguson: I am not in any particular employment just now. I reside at the Noah's Ark, Princes street. I knew the deceased slightly, but not by name. On Saturday evening last, about a quarter after eleven, I met him in Princes street and we went to the Imperial Hotel. He told me that he had come to town the day before, We had some drink. I know it was a quarter after eleven, because the deceased apparently referred to his watch, although I did not see the watch. He was perfectly sober at the time. Nothing but trivial conversation passed between us. We were probably 15 minutes at the Imperial. We then parted, going in opposite directions. We took the drink at the side window, and I believe Mrs McGuire served us. Early on Monday morning, while I was in bed at the Noah's Ark, but awake, I heard a cry of "Boat, ahoy!" or those seemed to be the words. I immediately went out and heard a noise like a person crying out in distress, "Oh, oh!" several times, but the cries suddenly ceased. I walked towards the Bay about 30 yards. The moon suddenly shone out. I heard the sound of oars in rowlocks, and saw a dark object in the Bay, like a boat pulling towards the Jetty, and about 500 yards from me. I then returned to bed. I should judge that this was between one and two o'clock in the morning. The moon was about three hours high. It was too dark for me to see anything beyond the dark outline of the boat and its direction. I did not hear the cries at the time I saw the boat. This incident was the subject of common conversation between, us next morning, as many heard the cries besides myself.

Alexander Hunter: I am a legally-qualified medical-practitioner, practising in Dunedin. I have this day made an examination of the body of the deceased. I found both hands firmly clenched and both elbows bent; as though in the act of defence. The right hand, over the knuckles, was much bruised, and was denuded of skin. A cut, an inch and a quarter long, down to the skull, was over the right parietal bone. It was sharp and well defined, as though done by an angular or sharp body. The right ear was discolored and bruised, and deprived of its skin. On the left brow, an inch and a half above the eye, there was a clean cut an inch and a half long. It presented an appearance as though a portion of the scalp had been scooped out, The left ear presented appearances similar to the right one. There was a superficial bruised cut on the upper lip, which was much discolored, and swollen. Over the whole neck there was much bruising with one clean superficial scratch or cut; not penetrating beyond the skin, on the left side. It was about an inch and a quarter, long. I did not see any other marks of violence on the body. The bones of the skull were not broken. It is possible that the clenching of the hands and the bending of the elbows resulted from the convulsions of a drowning man in efforts to save himself. The wounds on the head were certainly incised, and must have been done by a body possessed of an angular or cutting edge. A sharp stone, or the corner, of a pavement, or a square piece of iron or wood, might produce such wounds. A sharp instrument such as a knife, would produce very different wounds. The paddle wheel of a steamer might produce such wounds. In my opinion, the injuries described were caused before the deceased was in the water. It is scarcely possible that they could have been caused by rolling over a rough stony bottom, after being in the water. The bruises on the knuckles appear to me to be the result of a blow. I should think that these wounds alone were not sufficient to cause death. 

William Lotherington: I represent the house of A. L. Thomson and Co, Dunedin. I knew the deceased. His name was John Craig, and he was chief engineer on board the Queen steamer. I last saw him on Saturday afternoon. He was an extremely temperate man, and was a great favorite with his employers. So far as I know, he was on good terms with those under him. I paid him on Saturday, L34 wages, in L1 notes .

Patrick Bergin: I am a police constable stationed in Dunedin. At a quarter to five on Monday afternoon, a waterman reported to me that he had picked up the body of a man in the Bay. I took charge of it. On searching the pockets, I found a purse containing two L1 notes, and L2 10s 6d in coin. There was no watch. The clothes were of blue cloth, and new, and the deceased also wore new elastic side boots. There was no mud on the clothes, with the exception of a little on the right knee of the trousers. They were not torn at all, nor did the watch pocket present any appearance of having been disturbed. I saw the deceased going down the Jetty about half-past six o'clock on Saturday evening, when he seemed quite sober, and was dressed as the body now is. The wound at the side of the head was bleeding pretty freely when I first saw the body. There was a little sand at the back of the head.

At this stage of the inquiry, it was resolved to adjourn until Friday, to allow time for Dr. Hunter to make a post mortem examination of the body, and for further evidence. But on Friday the jury could not be got together, one of them having left for Melbourne, and two others being absent. There was consequently another adjournment to Saturday, when the jury met at Cooper's Family Hotel, Octagon. They proceeded to the Hospital and viewed the body, and after the Coroner had read the evidence taken at the previous sitting, the following witnesses were examined. Alfred Cluney, late cook of the Queen, was present in custody: —

William Elvin: I am second cook on board the steamer Queen. I know the prisoner, Alfred Cluney, who was the chief cook. I knew the deceased John Craig who was the chief engineer, and I was with him on board a month and twenty-five days. The three of us were in company in Dunedin last Saturday. We had all been paid off on that day, and we were each aware of it. I myself took two or three brandies, but Craig only took ginger beer before we met Cluney. We went to a house opposite Martin's Hotel, just after 12 o'clock; we went from Martin's where we had had ale. The deceased was intoxicated. Me and the second engineer went outside, saw two girls, spoke to them, and went to their house. The deceased and the prisoner came in five minutes afterwards. We were only in the house about five minutes. The deceased used abusive language to one of the girls and the landlady, who is called the "Great Eastern," told the second engineer to take back his 10s which he had borrowed of the prisoner for a "shout," and to go out. There was nothing angry between the deceased and the prisoner. Myself, the prisoner, and the deceased left the house about twenty minutes past twelve. We came down Stafford street, Princes street, and into Maclaggan street and Clarke street, where we went to another house. The deceased entered and sat down, but the prisoner and myself stood at the door. The young woman did not want us. But I begged her to let the deceased stop as he was intoxicated; and she was inclined to do so, until the prisoner said he would take us to a place where he would be treated with civility. He took us to the Caledonian Dining Rooms, where we had something to eat - bread and cheese and a glass of beer. I should suppose this would be about one o'clock. We went down to the Arcade and had oysters and ale: to the extent of 11s. The deceased paid here, as he did at the Caledonian. On our way to the Arcade, the deceased went to a man and asked if he had any girls in the house; and some words passed. We stopped in the Arcade fifteen minutes; and then went to the bottom of Rattray street. I said I must go to bed somewhere, for I was tired, and I asked the deceased to go. He said he would not, for he knew where to find a girl of his own. I believe he said he had an address, and he named, a street Wilson street. We left the deceased and went into George street. The prisoner knocked at a house, but did not get in and then we went to the Persian Dining Rooms, where we had coffee. We asked for beds, but they hadn't any. We returned to town, and went to the Royal Hotel, Stafford street. No person being up, the prisoner, apparently knowing the premises well, went to the back, and we got in, he taking me to a bedroom. He seemed to know the house thoroughly, so that he could either leave or enter without disturbing any of the inmates. I went to bed, keeping my pants on. I saw the prisoner put off his coat and vest, and light his pipe. He was sitting on the edge of the bed smoking, when I fell asleep. While he was undressing, the prisoner told me he had lent the second engineer (Davidson) 10s, and that he would go to him (in Stafford street) early in the morning, to get it. From his manner, and knowing he was an early riser, I believed he would do so. I fell asleep after this. I think this would be shortly before three. In the morning, I should think about half-past five or six, I was woke by the prisoner calling "Sam." who asked if I was going to get np and go for a stroll. He had his pants on and was smoking again, as usual. I said I was very tired and meant to sleep till eight or nine o'clock; and he dressed and went out. I was perfectly sober when I went to bed. I felt that I had had enough about ten o'clock; and I determined to have nothing more but soda water. That, and walking about made me sober — I walked it off. I did just taste the ale in the Arcade, when it came round — just put it to my lips, as I did at the Caledonian. I say that I was sober, and so was the prisoner. If the oysterman said it was two o'clock when we were in the Arcade, he would be wrong, it was not more than half-past one at the most.

By the Coroner: It would be twenty minute or half-past ten o'clock when we met the deceased opposite the Treasury. The second engineer was with him, and begged me to take hold of his (the deceased's) other arm, as he was so intoxicated. The deceased would go into various houses where we didn't want to go, and consequently he had to "shout." In the Arcade, he pulled out a roll of nine or ten notes, and that was the most I saw him show during the night.

By the Foreman: The deceased turned back Rattray street the way we had come. He was quite tipsy when we met him at half-past ten. There was nobody with us in the Arcade.

By the Coroner: Whoever has said the deceased was "quite sober," at a quarter after eleven on Saturday night, it cannot be so. The prisoner and I were with the deceased from half-past ten until about two in the morning He did not fall during that time. We got a little soda water into him now and again.

By the Foreman: When we were getting up at the Royal the prisoner spoke with that gentleman in the corner (one of the jurors.) 

By the Coroner: I don't believe, from what I saw on board the ship, that any man in town had an enmity to the deceased. He was well liked by everybody on board so far as I know.

William Doonan: I am a constable in Dunedin. I saw the body of the deceased, at the Hospital, on Thursday last. I saw him alive opposite the Provincial Hotel, at half-past two on Sunday morning. He was walking down Stafford street. He halted and asked me if I could tell him where to get a respectable bed for the night. I asked him at some length whether he had been out of town or why he was looking for a bed so late. He told me he had been in a brothel in Stafford street, where a row took place, and a mate of his struck him and cut him. I turned on my lamp and saw a wound, and a clot of blood on his left temple. I said I would show him where to find a surgeon, if he would have the wound dressed, and he said he didn't care — it was of no consequence. I recommended him to go to Osgood's, the Empire Hotel, and he went away in that direction.

By the Coroner: I thought he was capable of taking charge of himself, although he had evidently been drinking. There was a little blood on the right side of his face, but most was on the left. I am perfectly sure that the body I saw at the Hospital was that of the man with whom I spoke in Stafford street opposite Rees's cigar shop. 

Charles Ferguson (recalled): I am sure that I saw the deceased last Saturday evening. He himself referred to the time, and said it was a quarter after eleven. We went to the Imperial, and he had ginger beer and I had ale. He seemed perfectly sober. I was under the impression it was earlier than he said. He hailed me, and recalled to me that we had met three or four months ago, and he asked about some persons who were then in our company. I can't be mistaken that the deceased was the man I saw.

James Waits: I keep an oyster saloon in the Arcade. I remember seeing the prisoner at my place on Monday morning, with two other men. I think Elwin was one of them, but I'm not so sure. They had six dozen of oysters and a bottle of porter. It was about one o clock; they remained ten minutes after having the oysters, and then left. I think all of them had had drink, but none of them was drunk. I was quite sober. 

By the Coroner: The third man was dressed in dark clothing, and seemed a seafaring man: but I did not take particular notice of him. He paid me 11s, giving me a note. He called me into the bar and asked what was to pay, and at that time he had a note in his hand, so that whether he had a roll of notes or not, I don't know. 

By the Foreman: I'm not sure as to the time. It might have been half an hour later or earlier than I have stated. 

Sarah Ann Bryers: I live opposite Martin's Hotel, but don't know the name of the street. I have seen the prisoner. He came to my lodging after we had got home from the theatre. There were three others, Elwin being one of them. Mrs Mason, the landlady, was not at home at the time; but she came in with a young lady called Lizzy and another lady, whom I think is called Annie, but I've only been here since Friday. They came in directly after the gentlemen. One of the men asked for drink; but Mrs Mason had been insulted by him, and she got up and gave him back the half sovereign he had given her, and told him to go out. It was the gentleman who is supposed to be killed. He called her very bad names. The prisoner said, "When you insult one of us, you insult all," and he went out, with Elwin and the man supposed to be killed. The fourth man, who said his name was Davidson, stopped until one o'clock on Sunday afternoon. I am sure he did not leave the house till that time. No one of the three men returned during the night or next morning, to talk to Davidson about money. Davidson said he had borrowed half a sovereign from his mate (the prisoner) and they would think it strange, but they had behaved so badly that he would not go with them, and he apologised to Mrs Mason for their behaviour. I am positive that between the time the three men left and nine o'clock on Sunday morning, the prisoner did not come back to the house and speak to Davidson. There was nothing like fighting in the house at all. The man who is supposed to be murdered was the only one of the four who was drunk. I did not see any cuts or blood on any of their faces. I can't say that it appeared to me that the prisoner was the leading man of the party. 

By the Coroner: They seemed perfectly friendly in the house. The fourth man did not take out any money in the house, and I did not see him with a watch. Mr Davidson said the man had been chief engineer of the Queen; and that he had taken his place. I think the three men were not in the place more than ten minutes. I did not see which way they went.

Catherine Mason: I am wife of George Mason and I live in Stafford-street. I cannot identify either the prisoner or Elwin. There were four men in my home when I got home last Saturday night, from the theatre. There were four men. One of them used very very bad language. I told him I would not allow it, and he got worse, so I opened the door and said, "This is my house, go." Two of them jumped up and went, and the fourth remained. He told me that the man who used the bad language was a very decent fellow and engineer of the Queen, only he had had drink. I have not been to the agents of the City of Hobart to engage a passage to Melbourne. Not I, indeed; I have five children, and I couldn't leave them. I did not hear any noise or quarrelling except just what I have told you. I am quite certain that no one of the three who left came back to the house next morning. I locked the door and had the key.

Ann Nolan: I live next door to Mrs Mason, in Stafford street. I don't know the prisoner except by seeing him at the Detective Office. I was in Mrs Mason's house on Saturday evening, and saw four men there. I left them there. I think one of them was intoxicated, but I should not know any of them. I did not hear any ill words or quarrelling. I went while they were in the house, but I heard them go out in about ten minutes.

Margaret Russell: I live with Mrs Mason. I think I have seen the prisoner before. I believe he was at Mrs Mason's about ten minutes to one on Sunday morning, with three other gentlemen. The man I think was the prisoner and two others left, because Mrs Mason told one of them to go, and they said they would go with him. The man had used some very bad language, and Mrs Mason would not take money for drink from the man who afterwards stayed all night. I did not hear any quarrelling or see a blow struck. 

By Mr Ward: The prisoner seemed on perfectly good terms with the other men.

John Walker: I am a fisherman. About half-past one last Sunday morning I was sitting on the steps of the front door of the Provincial. A man came up and said "What have you got?" I said, "Some oysters, some fried fish, and some potted head." He said "Give us a shilling's worth." and I did. I looked up, and seeing his face bleeding, I said, "Why you've been fighting." "Never you mind." he said "take your shilling." He dropped a sixpence, and I picked it up and offered it to him but he said "Keep it yourself." and I did. The man went down as I going round the corner. Immediately afterwards a policeman came up and told me it was time I was at home, and I went away shortly after. The man was perfectly capable of taking care of himself. I've seen the body of the deceased at the Hospital; but I can only say that the man I spoke to was something about the same size. The blood was running down his face; but if the deceased was the man, he got knocked about a good deal after I saw him. 

Ellen Day: I live in Clarke street. I saw the prisoner between one and two o'clock last, Sunday morning. The prisoner, with Elwin and another man, came to my door and wanted me to let them stay. I refused. The man who is not here, shoved past me and sat down. Elwin asked me to allow the third man to remain there, but I refused, and then the prisoner took hold of him and pulled him out, Elwin was sober and the third man was drunk. I don't know how the prisoner was. I did not see any blood or bruise on the third man's face. The three men seemed quite friendly. 

Alexander Hunter: I have made a post-mortem examination of the body of the deceased. On proceeding to examine the brain, I found that there was a fracture of the skull commencing above the right ear across the whole frontal and coronal suture to the corresponding point on the left side. The whole frontal section of the skull was separated from the back part. I could have put my finger between the parts, and it was evident that there had been very great force applied, that some angular weapon had been used, and that the blows had been repeated again and again. It is a notc uncommon result, where great violence is used, that the skull is fractured at a point not coincident with the blow which fractures it, and hence we did not discover the fracture when we simply examined the wounds. On the right side, there were splinters of bone an inch long, and the base of the skull was also fractured, there being a good deal of effusion on the 1eft side. It was as though the face had been cut right off. On the right side of the heart. I found a good deal of fluid blood, the left being comparatively empty. The lungs were not gorged, but there was a good deal of serous effusion in both cavities of the chest. The liver was quite sound. The stomach contained a little fluid, but was very nearly flaccid. Decomposition had not begun. It never does internally until the epidermis has begun to give way, and when I saw the body first the skin was as firm as mine. Possibly the body had been more than 18 hours in the water, but from the state of the skin I should say from 12 to 18 hours. I have no hesitation in affirming that the deceased was a murdered man: that he was murdered before he was put into the water: that he might have breathed once or twice after he was put in: but that such blows as were inflicted would in most cases be sufficient to cause instant death. The injuries to the head caused death, and they must have been inflicted before the body was put into the water. One of the external wounds was certainly inflicted by the blow which fractured the skull. I believe the skull was fractured with a blunted angular weapon, of iron or heavy wood. It. might be within the region of possibility that if the deceased fell over the wharf and lighted on his head upon the gunwale of a boat, the principal fracture of the skull might have been caused; but there is comminuted fracture on the right side, and such a fracture is not at all likely to be caused by a single blow or concussion. I weighed the probability of such a thing as has been suggested; but I came to the conclusion that it was not likely in this case. 

By Mr Ward: Blows from the paddle wheel of a steamer would account for what I saw on the head of the deceased; but I do not say that it is at all likely the injuries were so caused. It is possible that he might have fallen from a steamer, got the blows from the wheel, and been killed at once. Most assuredly the deceased did not walk about and talk to a policeman after be suffered the fracture which I saw. 

Sub-inspector Morton stated that there were no other witnesses in attendance; but it was believed that the Queen would be in by or before Monday, and he would suggest on adjournment to that day. 

Mr Ward said that it was a great hardship that Cluney should be kept longer in durance. There was not a tittle of evidence to connect him with the murder. Indeed, it was by no means proved that any murder had been committed. The Coroner thought, seeing there was great suspicion as to the cause of the deceased's death, and that a man had been arrested, it would be only right that he should remain in custody until the inquiry had been completed. He quite agreed that at present there was not much that could be said to affect Cluney.

Sub-inspector Morton: I have been told, Sir, by Capt. McLean, that the prisoner has been imprisoned three months for striking a man with a weapon; and he also struck the policeman . 

Mr Ward: Really, it is not fair to introduce any foreign matter in such a case. 

Sub-inspector Morton: It shows what sort of a man he is; and that is one of my reasons for asking for a remand. 

Cluney (with vehement indignation): Do allow me to speak, sir. It's not true! I never did get three months for striking a man, or for anything else. If I did, may God strike me dead where I stand! I'm brought here and condemned without a cause. I say it is too bad altogether. 

Mr Ward again urged that there was no proof at all that the deceased had been murdered. 

Dr Hunter admitted that blows from the wheel of a steamer would account for all he saw. 

Sub-inspector Morton believed the steamer with the mail arrived up early on Sunday morning; and the deceased might have fallen into the water and been struck by one of the wheels of the boat. 

Mr Ward thought it quite possible, the steamer coming up about the time when the deceased was shown to have been near the Jetty, the deceased was attracted by the whistle and went down. Being an engineer, he would be very likely to attempt to go on board; and being intoxicated, he might very easily mistake the position of the boat. 

Sub-inspector Morton said that, on the other hand, it was just possible that Cluney might have left the room at the hotel into which he found his way so easily, have followed the deceased, and assaulted him on the Jetty. 

The Coroner, without for a moment expressing any suspicion that Cluney was guilty, thought that the purposes of justice would be best served by his being remanded till Monday.

Cluney: May I be allowed to say a few words, sir? Do allow me. 

Mr Ward advised him not to speak. The inquiry was adjourned until four o'clock to-day, at the same hotel.  -Otago Daily Times, 8/2/1864.


THE FUNERAL OF JOHN CRAIG.

(To the Editor of the Daily Times)

Sir — My attention has been drawn to the following paragraph in your notice to-day of the funeral of John Craig: — " On the arrival at the Cemetery, it was found that the clergyman who had arranged to attend had not made his appearance; after waiting some time messengers were dispatched in search of the reverend gentleman, but without success." Permit me to state the cause of my absence. Having been requested to consent to the interment of John Craig in the Church of England Cemetery, I willingly complied with Mr Thomson's request, and fixed an hour for the funeral on Friday last. Shortly afterwards the undertaker, Mr Murray, informed me that in consequence of the postponement of the inquest, the funeral could not take place at the hour named. Late on Saturday night he again called on me, and told me that it was necessary that the body should be interred that evening. To this I replied that I was too unwell to attend myself, and that it was too late to obtain a substitute, but that if the funeral could be postponed till the following Monday, I would either myself be present, or ask one of the vestry to read the service for me. At Mr Murray's request I wrote a letter to the Coroner stating what I have written above, and gave it to Mr Murray to deliver to him. Not having received any reply to my letter, or any farther communication from Mr Murray, I concluded that the funeral had taken place on, Saturday evening. My surprise was great when I read what appeared in this morning's "Times.'' While expressing my great regret that I was not present at the funeral, my absence, Sir, was not caused; either by unwillingness on my part to attend, or forgetfulness of the day and hour fixed. Had I been told that the funeral had been postponed till Monday, most certainly I could and should have been present, or had one of those "messengers who were despatched in search of the reverend gentleman" called at the Parsonage, he would have probably found him at home, and, if so, most willing to accompany him. at once to the cemetery. I am, &c,

E. G. Edwards The Parsonage, 9th February.  -Otago Daily Times, 10/2/1864.


Alfred Cluney, chief Cook of the Queen, steamer, was last evening released from custody. It will be remembered that he was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the death of John Craig, late chief engineer of the boat, and that the Resident Magistrate remanded him, pending the verdict of the Coroner’s Jury. He was present during the inquest on Saturday, and again yesterday ; and at the request of the jury the Coroner accepted his own recognisances, for his appearance before the Resident Magistrate this forenoon, when he will, no doubt, be formally discharged. At the sitting yesterday, Captain Francis, and Davidson gave evidence which showed that if poor Craig was murdered, robbery was not the inciting cause. It was suspicious that Craig having received £34 on the Saturday preceding the Monday when his body was found, only £4 10s. remained in his purse, and that a watch, which he was known to possess, was not in his pocket. Capt; Francis proved that a silver watch and £l7 in notes were left in the deceased's berth; while Davidson stated that the watch was the only one he had known Craig to possess, and that the deceased told him on the Saturday night that he had lent £l0 to a friend. But the verdict of the jury was an open one — that the deceased died from fractures of the skull, there being no evidence to show how those fractures were caused. 

The Coroner told Cluney that, as far as that Court was concerned, he left it without the slightest stain; and we have no doubt that the Magistrate will to-day show that he believes what Cluney said when first brought up, “You’ll find me innocent. Sir.” 

Feb. 9. The remains of John Craig, the late engineer of the s s. Queen were interred at the instance of Messrs. A. L. Thomson & Cd. Yesterday, in the Church of England burial ground at the cemetery. The funeral was attended by several gentlemen to whom the deceased had been known. On the arrival of the melancholy cortege at the Cemetery, it was found that the clergyman who had arranged to attend had not made his appearance; after waiting some time messengers were dispatched in search of the reverend gentleman, but without success, and ultimately the burial service had to be read by Captain John Robertson, of the Marine Board.  -New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian, 17/2/1864.


Southern Cemetery, Dunedin.  DCC photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment