Tuesday, 4 August 2026

William English, (1822-17/6/1880). "I can no longer exist"

Shortly after dusk last evening a boy passing along Water street observed someone lying stretched out inside the porch of the Colonial Bank building. On examination it proved to be the body of a man just dead. The body was taken to the Hospital, where it was refused admission, and after being taken to the Adelaide Hotel was subsequently removed to the Empire Hotel, where an inquest will be held tomorrow. The deceased, whose name was William England, was about fifty years of age, and has for many years practised as a surveyor in Dunedin. Beside the deceased was found a small stopper bottle containing oxalic acid.  -Evening Star, 15/6/1880.


INQUEST.

An inquest was held at the Empire Hotel, Dunedin, on Wednesday, before Dr Hocken, District Coroner, on the body of William England, which was discovered lying in the porch of the Colonial Bank on Monday evening.

The following is the main evidence adduced: —

Archibald Hill Ross, of Princes-street, deposed that he had known the deceased over twenty years. Deceased was a native of Ireland, and would be about 58 or 59 years old at the time of his death. England had been married, but was separated from his wife. He was a Roman Catholic and followed the occupation of a Civil Engineer and surveyor. He had not left any property. Deceased was addicted to drink, and had suffered from delirium tremens. When he was last dismissed from the Public Works Department owing to his drunken habits, he went into witness's shop, and said he would cut his throat. Last saw England alive about two months ago, when he mentioned that Mr Grant, of Granton, had given him 10s. Witness did not think England had been in a sane state of mind for some years. When witness was living in the bush 15 years ago England came to his place with a brace of of pistols, and was then completely insane. England seemed to have been quite mad after taking drink. He was always brooding and melancholy. Witness did not remember having seen England smile. England was so frequently in a state of chronic drunkenness that he became melancholy. It was about two months ago when he told witness that he would cut his throat. England had been an inmate of the Benevolent Institution, and shortly after leaving that he promised to do well for himself. About fourteen years ago England spent L200 in drink within three weeks, and then became quite insane. He formerly occupied the position of District Surveyor at L350 a year and field allowance. Drink was the cause of his downfall. As a professional man England had but few equals, and certainly no superiors.

Frank Manley, a youth, deposed that while going along Water-street on Monday evening he heard deceased moaning in the porch and informed a constable.

Constable Stewart said deceased was alive when he found him. He sent for Dr Reimer, who, on his arrival, said deceased's blood was in circulation. He was conveyed to the hospital, but died before reaching it. Witness found a bottle containing strychnine in deceased's pocket, and also the following letter: —

Cox's Temperance Hotel, Maclaggan street, Dunedin, 14th June, 1880.

My Dear friend, — I am so nervous that I can scarcely direct my pen, but I could not well do what I am forced to do, without saying a word of farewell to my last friend.

I can no longer exist. I know not where to lay my head at night, or to find the price of a meal to appease the constant pain of hunger. You can have no adequate idea of the abhorrence with which I regard the idea of suicide, yet I am compelled to this course as the only one open to me. I am old, disabled from rheumatism, and cannot under the most favourable circumstances expect a long lease of life. If my mind were free as to the morality of the act, I would have no hesitation as to what I should do; but seeing myself so pressed by insuperable difficulties, I have no alternative. — Yours in death,

W. G. England.

 P.S. — I have seen some people since I have written the first part of this note, and I see no hopes for me. Oh. David, it is dreadful to think that a man in the full possession of all his intellectual faculties should be compelled to do what I am going to do. It is horrible. Yet, what can I do? Nothing but that is left to me. Even as if all these things were not enough, the conditions of life in New Zealand are enough to discourage anyone to endure life here. Pity me, your poor friend, W. G. England. 

David Grant, of Granton (Taieri), said he had known the deceased for many years. Witness met England in town about six weeks ago, and spoke to him. England then said he had had nothing to eat for a whole week before that. Witness said it was very hard times surely and gave England half-a-sovereign, and said, "Go away and get something to eat; do not drink it." Witness further said to England, "If you have no means of employment, and no means of existence, you had better come out with me on the farm for three or four weeks, and see if any thing turns up." England then went with witness and remained on the farm at Outram for three weeks, and then he said, "I think I will go back to town again." Witness replied, "Please yourself." England did not give any sign of contemplating suicide. He seemed to be rather low spirited. He was very temperate while he was with witness. Witness did not believe England when he said he had had nothing to eat for a week.

Other evidence was given as to where deceased lived, his habits, his being in want of funds and in low spirits.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased had committed suicide while in a state of temporary insanity by taking poison, the nature whereof there was not sufficient evidence to show.

The following rider was added to the verdict: — "The jury are of opinion that the Coroner's Court and a morgue for the reception of dead bodies awaiting inquest are urgently required in Dunedin, and they trust the proper authorities will consider the matter without delay."  -Clutha Leader, 18/6/1880.


 

Southern Cemetery, Dunedin. DCC photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment