Monday, 5 October 2026

Patrick Lynch, (1884-14/6/1897). "I did not mean to shoot you"

FATAL GUN ACCIDENT.

(BY TELEGRAPH. — PRESS ASSOCIATION.)

Invercargill, this day. 

On Saturday four boys went out of Otautau to shoot rabbits with one gun. They were tramping alongside the river, Patrick Lynch being in advance, McIvor and Norman McRae behind. The latter was carrying the gun, when it was in some unexplained way fired, and Lynch received the charge at close quarters in the hips, smashing the bone and tesring away the muscles. He died in the Rivorton Hospital yesterday.  -Auckland Star, 15/6/1897.


Otautau. — Elsewhere we publish a full report of the inquest touching the death of Patrick Lynch, the victim of the recent shooting accident. Deceased was interred on Wednesday, the funeral being a very large one, great sympathy being felt for the parents. Poor Pat was well liked by his schoolmates. All the school children attended the funeral, and placed a large number of wreaths on the grave, where the Rev. Father Walsh conducted the last rites.  -Western Star, 19/6/1897.


INQUEST.

An inquiry was held at Otautau on Wednesday forenoon, 16th inst, touching the death of Patrick Lynch, aged 13 years, son of Daniel Lynch, blacksmith, Otautau, who died at the Riverton Hospital on Monday last from the effects of a gunshot wound received on Saturday 12th inst. Mr A. R. Hare, J.P., acted as coroner, and a jury of six was sworn, Mr Robert Campbell being elected foreman. The inquiry was conducted by Constable Joyce. The first writ ness called was.

Daniel Lynch, father of deceased, who deposed that he recognised deceased as his son, 13 years of age, and a native of New Zealand. He left home without his knowledge, and was not accustomed to firearms. He was conveyed to my house on Saturday last about 1 p.m. suffering from a severe gunshot wound. Was then conveyed to the Wallace Hospital by direction of Dr Baird, and died there on Monday, 14th. Was present at his death. Asked him how it occurred, but he did not reply. 

Norman M. Macrae, 15 years of age, son of John MacRae, schoolmaster, Otautau, deposed: I remember Saturday, 12th inst. I saw deceased that day a few yards from my father’s house, in company with John Seatter, George Coyle, William McIvor, James McIvor, and his brother, John Lynch (all boys). We remained speaking for a while. John Seatter left and we went over to McIvor’s cowshed. Saw a double barrelled gun (produced) there. James McIvor left to look after his cows, and said in a general way “Take the gun along.” Deceased took the gun, and went with John Lynch, his brother, and myself to Mr McIvor’s barn. Left the boys William McIvor and George Coyle at the Cowshed. We went as far as the shed then to the willows, four of u, McIvor. carrying the gun, who loaded it with cartridges. No ducks being there we all four went across the Otautanuriver. Before getting to the Otautau river McIvor took the cartridges out. Four then went to the Jacob’s river, McIvor carrying the gun. Three of us went on McIvor’s horse to cross the river, and the deceased remained this side with the gun. We got off on the other side of the river, and James back on the horse for deceased. Shortly after we four met again at the foot of the hill near Ringway. When we met, James McIvor was carrying the gun loaded. A few minutes after he fired, and shot a rabbit and taking out the cartridge re-loaded the right barrel. Deceased then took the gun and on being asked to shoot a seagull flying past, refused. McIvor then took the gun, fired, and wounded the seagull. Deceased again took the gun, fired the other barrel, and killed the seagull. McIvor then took the cartridges out, tried to load the gun, but the cartridge was too big. Took it out with a knife, put in another one in, and that fitted. I took a cartridge out of my pocket and loaded the other barrel. McIvor held the gun all the time. Then he gave the gun to me, and the four of us started down the river. Deceased walked four or five yards in front of me, to the left; McIvor about a yard in front, to the right; and John Lynch behind me. I was carrying the gun horizontally, muzzle slightly down, but pointing in direction of deceased. McIvor handed the gun to me with both hammers down. I might have lifted the left hammer, but do not remember doing so.

After that the shot suddenly went off, and I saw the deceased fall. I made no remark at all. Have heard that a rumour is going about that I said “I will shoot you, Paddy.” The remark would have been heard by the other boys if made. I deny making any such remark. After deceased fell. I dropped the gun and went up to him. The deceased said, “Oh my leg,” or something like that. I took his trousers down and saw a wound on the left hip, not bleeding much. Not having a handkerchief, I put a cap McIvor gave me on the wound to stop the bleeding. Deceased said “Take my boots off,” and I told Johnny to do so. I said, “Oh, Paddy, I did not mean to shoot yoo.” Deceased only replied, ‘‘Take the cartridges out of my pocket.” I took them out. McIvor did not stop long after deceased fell, but went at once for a horse and returned. McIvor and I went for the doctor. McIvor stopped at the barn and told me to tell the doctor he was there, and would take him back to the scene of the accident. I then ran to Dr Baird and told him, and then went and told my father what had happened. Did not cover up deceased before leaving him. Was in a hurry to get the doctor. I then went down with Mr Lynch, father of the boy, in a cart. When I arrived Dr Baird was there, attending deceased. Shortly after he was taken home. James McIvor proposed to us boys to come along to shoot at the cowshed in the morning and said, “Norman, go and get your cartridges.” I went back and got eight cartridges. I had proposed to purchase a singlebarrel breech-loader from Mr Fyfe. Showed the gun to my father, who got advice as to its being safe. Did not buy it. Bought eight cartridges once and five another time from Mr Acheson. 

The boys James McIvor, 16 years, son of Mr J R McIvor, Otautau, and John Lynch, 9 years, a brother of the deceased, gave almost the same statement as above except McIvor who said that both hammers of the gun were down when he handed it to MacRae and saw a minute before the shot went off that both were down, but said that MacRae could have cocked the gun while carrying it without his knowledge. The boy Lynch said that just before the shot went off, the left barrel was full back cock. Both said they did not hear MacRae say, “I will shoot you, Paddy,” or anything like that. Macrae and deceased were good friends, and they believed the shot went off accidentally. 

Robert Seatter, carpenter, Otautau, deposed: I remember Saturday last. Met Norman MacRae who told me he had shot Paddy Lynch. I understood Dr Baird had gone to attend deceased. I followed up the cart to the Otautau stream, and told them the road to go. After the deceased arrived home, I took the gun out of the cart. It was a breach-loading double-barrel, I opened it, and found the right barrel loaded, and an empty cartridge in the left barrel.

Am used to firearms, and consider the gun a safe one as far as I know.

William Stephen Baird deposed: I am a duly qualified medical practitioner residing at Otautau. I remember Saturday last. It was reported to me at 12 o’clock that deceased had been shot. I went to the scene at once. Examined the lad, and found a large wound on the left hip not much bleeding. Considered it better after giving him morphia not to do anything till getting him home. I saw him home, examined wound, and found that the thigh was fractured, and a charge of shot was lodged underneath the skin outside the thigh. Did what was necessary, and ordered his removal to the Riverton Hospital, I accompanying him there. Dr Burns and I entertained very little hope of his recovery.

Constable Joyce deposed: At 2.30 p.m. on Saturday, I heard that deceased was shot. I immediately went to the house and found the boy lying on a table in the kitchen. Was told Dr Baird was in attendance. He was suffering a good deal and did not feel inclined to speak. I asked him how it happened, he replied “I do not know, I was in front.” I did not press for any more seeing the boy suffered and believed from what I heard the affair was purely an accident. I could not trace reports as to conversations in the township respecting statements made that MacRae said “I will shoot you Paddy,” meaning deceased. This statement was, as far as I could ascertain, that of boys, and found it was merely an unfounded report, the lads, as I ascertained, were good friends. 

A verdict “That deceased came to his death on Monday, 14th June, 1897, from the effect of an accidental gun-shot wound on the 12th June, 1897” was returned.  -Western Star, 19/6/1897.


Otautau Old Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment