Tuesday 9 April 2019

The SS "Victory"



Local Intelligence.
STEAMER "VICTORY." We regret to learn that the Inter-Colonial Royal Mail Company's fine s.s. "Victory," met with an accident on Wednesday night. She left Otago about an hour before dark with a strong gale blowing from the N.E., and ran ashore soon after 6 o'clock in Wickliffe Bay, this side of Cape Saunders. Fortunately she went ashore on a sandy beach; had she struck upon the rocks a mile higher up in the Bay, in all probability the lives of all on board would have been sacrificed. As it is, the passengers and mails were safely landed, but we understand the vessel is so high upon the Beach, there being only 4 feet water at low tide, and so embedded in the sand, that there is no prospect of her being rescued from her present unfortunate position. 
Capt. Bowden, of the "Prince Alfred," and Mr. Young, Agent for the Company, proceeded to the wreck on Thursday, and we learn that the mails were safely conveyed overland to Portobello and thence put on board the "Prince Alfred," to leave Otago for the Northern Ports and Sydney yesterday evening.  -Otago Witness, 6/7/1861.

SS Victory aground - sketch by J Wakelin.



News of the Week.
(FROM THE DAILY TIMES.)
Some specimens of quartz have lately been picked up by Captain Toogood, of the Victory, and others who have visited Wickliffe Bay, along the shores of the lagoon which extends some dis tance inland, not far from where the Victory now lies. Some of the specimens are said to contain small specks of gold, and, from the quantity of quartz which is exposed on the surface, it is presumed that it may be the outcrop of a reef which is there concealed by the silt and driven sand. As a number of men will be on the spot, employed in the removal of the Victory, it is likely the locality will soon have a thorough overhaul.  -Otago Witness, 5/7/1861.

LOSS OF THE INTER-COLONIAL ROYAL MAIL STEAM SHIP VICTORY.
The loss of this fine steamer, which took place on Wednesday evening last, will be considered a serious misfortune by most of the inhabitants of Canterbury and Otago. The s.s. Victory, 501 tons, 180 horse power, commanded by Captain James Toogood, was the finest and fastest boat belonging to the company. This was her first trip after having been taken off the Melbourne route for some three months past, so that there was a reasonable probability that the English mail would have arrived here in future with greater punctuality, and more in accordance with the spirit of the subsidy. Perhaps the most unfortunate part of the affair is that she appears to have been lost from want of common care. Of this however the public will be able to form a better opinion when all the facts connected with the loss of the vessel are made known. We subjoin an extract from her log, by which it appears that she left Port Chalmers at 4 p.m. on the 3rd, that the pilot left her at 4.45 off the heads; that within three miles of the shore, in thick weather with a strong wind blowing on shore, the captain went down to tea, apparently about 5 p.m., having left the ship in charge of the third mate, with instructions to keep a good look out. In the mean time the chief officer relieved the third mate, who gave him the captain's orders. Prom this time the vessel must have been going out of her course and hurrying full speed to destruction, for at 6 p.m. she ran on shore full speed, in a small inlet called Wickliffe bay, where she now lies deeply imbedded in the sand. So slight was the shock that a cup of coffee in the hands of a passenger was not spilt. At 1 a.m. the passengers and mails were landed in safety; and it was expected that the cargo, which was light, would be got out. The vessel had sunk about 7 feet in the sand by the following morning and no hopes were entertained that she would be got off. Preparations were being made to strip her and it was thought that her engines would most probably be saved. We are not aware whether she is insured up to her full value, but that is most probably the case. It is to be hoped that the company will charter another vessel at Melbourne to bring.the English mail of next month down in the usual course, so that we may not suffer the inconveniences of delay for more than one occasion.
[extracts prom the s.s. victory's log ] 
"Port Chalmers, July 3, 1861, p.m.; strong winds from the N.N.E. with rain. Pilot came on board at 3.30. p.m; took the ship to sea at 4 p.m.; the pilot left the ship at 4.45 p.m. Otago heads (or Taroa); bore S. by W. 1/2 W. lost 11/2 miles, run a S.E. course for 7 or 8 miles, and then altered the course to S.S.W expecting that course to take the ship about three miles outside of Cape Saunders; I then told the third mate to keep a good look out whilst I took a cup of tea, and if the ship drew anything in with the land to let me know directly, the ship being at that time in a good position. In the mean time the chief officer relieved the third mate, and gave him my orders. At about 6 o'clock the ship took the ground in Wickliffe bay, a sandy beach. I ran upon the bridge and put the engines full speed astern; I could not find the chief officer for about ten minutes after the ship struck; the engines were kept full speed astern for 1 1/2 hours and everything was done to get the ship off but without effect, there being a very heavy sea on at the time. The sea broke in the stern windows and broke the steering apparatus; put a large sail over the stern to keep the water out. At 1 o clock a.m. lowered the starboard life boat down and landed the passengers and mails without any accident.
"James Toogood, Master s.s. Victory."  -Lyttelton Times, 10/7/1861.

Sales by Auction
SALE BY AUCTION.
On Account of whom it may Concern. 
Messrs YOUNG & M'GLASHAN are instructed to Sell by Auction, in the WEEK AFTER NEXT, on the Beach in Wickliffe Bay, on Account of whom it may Concern, 
The Cargo of the s.s. "Victory," Comprising: — 
16 Quarter-casks Brandy 
1 hhd. Wine
8 bales skins
8 casks, Tallow
&c. &c. t . 
Also, The ship's Anchors, Chains, Cables, Boat and about 300 tons of Coals.
Together with Ship's Stores, Wines, Ales, Preserved Meats. 
Also, The Hull of the s.s. "Victory," as she now lies on the strand in Wickliffe Bay, along with her Engines, Boilers, Lower-masts, &C, &C.
The Day of Sale will be fixed in next Week's Advertisement.  -Otago Witness, 13/7/1861.

SALE BY AUCTION. 
On Account of whom it may Concern. 
MESSRS. YOUNG & McGLASHAN are instructed to Sell by Auction, on WEDNESDAY, the 24th inst., on the Beach in Wickliffe Bay, on Account of whom it may Concern, The Cargo of the s.s. "Victory," Comprising: — 
16 Quarter-casks Brandy
1 hhd. Wine 
39 bales wool
1 bag wool
8 bales Skins 
8 casks Tallow &c, &c. 

Also, The ship's Anchors, Chains, Cables, Boat and about 300 tons of Coals 
Together with Ship's Stores, Wines, Ales, Preserved Meats 
Also, The Hull of the s.s. "Victory," as she now lies on the strand in Wickliffe Bay, along with her Engines, Boiler's, Lower-masts, &c, &c, 

The following is a portion of the CABIN FURNITURE, &c, ex S.S. "VICTORY" to be Sold by Auction on WEDNESDAY NEXT for whom it may concern:—

PLATED GOODS. 
Table, Dessert, Gravy, Mustard, Egg, Sugar and Tea Spoons 
Large and Small Forks
Dish Covers and Dishes
Candlesticks 
Soup, Sauce, and Punch Ladles 
Wine Strainers 
Tea and Coffee Pots and Cream Jugs 
Toast Racks 
Sugar Tongs and Basins 
Meat Skewers 
Nut Crackers 
Knife Rests 
Crushers 
Fish Knives 
Cruet Stands 
Bread Basket and Plate 
Brushes 
Inkstand 

CROCKERY. 
A large assortment of Breakfast, Tea, and Dinner Services, &c. 

LINEN, BEDDING, &c. 
Blankets, Sheets, Counterpanes, Pillows, Pillowslips, Table-cloths, Napkins, Towels, Dusters, Damask Curtains, &c, &c. 

GLASS, &c. Decanters, Tumblers, Champagne and Wine Glasses, Water Bottles, Lamp Globes and Chimneys, Celery and Pickle Glasses, Salts, Preserve Dishes, &c. 

CUTLERY. Ivory and Bone-handled Carvers — Dinner, Dessert, and Bread Knives — Ivory-handled Steel, &c. &c. 

SUNDRIES. Ottomans, Settee Covers, Cushions and Pillows, Medicine Chest, Brussels Carpeting, Looking Glasses, 4 Handsome Plate-glass Mirrors, 6 Splendid Oil Paintings, Brass Rods and Hooks, Knife-cleaning Machine, Paraffin and Candle Lamps, Table Fiddles, Fire and Deck Hose, Gutta Percha Fire Buckets, Mast-head and Side Lights, Compasses, Camp Stools, Steelyards, &c. &c. &c. 

N.B. — The " Victory " having been recently refitted in Sydney at considerable expense, all her gear, fittings, and general outfit are of the very best description, and need no further recommendation from the Auctioneers.

The "Victoria" will leave the Jetty for Portobello at 8.30 a.m. 

Sale to commence at 12 o'clock, on the Beach in Wickliffe Bay. 
Substantial Refreshments provided.  -Otago Witness, 20/7/1861.

News from the South
 An enquiry into the cause of the wreck of, the s.s. Victory, is being conducted. We regret to find that the chief mate, who was in command at the time, is stated to have been drunk. The vessel is comparatively uninjured, but as the requisite facilities for getting her afloat are not obtainable, she is about to be sold.   -Hawke's Bay Herald, 27/7/1861.

RESIDENT MAGISTRATE'S COURT, July 10, 1861.
INQUIRY INTO THE LOSS OF THE S.S. "VICTORY."
Our readers will readily recollect that the "Victory" was wrecked in Wickliffe Bay, between Otago Heads and Cape Saunders, on the .evening of the 3rd of July instant, on her passage from Port Chalmers to Melbourne with the homeward English mail. 
A complaint having been preferred by the Captain against George Hand, the chief mate, under section 239 of the "Merchant Shipping Act, 1854," that he (the mate) being in charge of the vessel, by reason of drunkenness and breach of duty, deserted his charge, which thereby tended to her immediate loss, the investigation commenced to-day on board the wreck, before John Hyde Harris, Esq. (the Resident Magistrate), Charles Logic, Esq. (Receiver of Customs), and Captain Thomson (the Harbour Master.) Mr. Graham attended for Mr. Gillies as Counsel for the Captain; the Mate had no professional assistance.
The first witness called was the Captain, James Toogood, who deposed as follows:— I am master of the steam-ship "Victory." Have commanded her since the l6th day of February, 1860. The accused was shipped on board the "Victory" as chief officer, about three months ago. Mr. Clarke, the manager of the Company, engaged him. He came on board at Sydney. He has only made one voyage with me in her. We arrived at Port Chalmers, from Canterbury, on the 1st July instant; and left again on the afternoon of the 3rd, about half-past three o'clock. The pilot left the ship about twenty minutes past four o'clock. It was raining at the time, with a strong wind blowing from the N. N. East. It was rather hazy. Affter we cleared the Heads the weather became a little clearer. After the pilot left, I steered outside of the Heads until the lighthouse bore S. by West half-west, distant about a mile and a half. It was then a quarter to five o'clock. I then steered the vessel S. E. half-east, for as near as I could guess, seven miles. The nearest point of land I could then see was about two and a half miles off. This point is the northern part of Cape Saunders. I then steered S. South-west by standard compass, in order to take the vessel three miles clear of Cape Saunders. I then gave the course to the third mate (Thomas Sampson). I expected the chief mate was on the forecastle securing the anchors. I told the third mate to take charge until the chief mate relieved him, with strict orders that if the vessel drew on towards the land, to give me immediate notice. I then went down into the cabin to tea. It was the chief mate's watch. About a quarter of an hour or twenty minutes after I had gone below, the vessel struck. I immediately went on deck and to the bridge, and telegraphed to reverse the engines, which was done without effect. No one was on the bridge when I went up. I did not see the chief mate until about ten minutes afterwards. He was then coming up the bridge ladder — the one at the fore part of it. I asked him why he was not on the bridge. He replied that he had not taken charge, and that he had not been on the bridge. About a quarter of an hour or twenty minutes afterwards, he stated in my presence, and in the presence of the chief engineer and of the third mate, that he had received charge of the vessel from the third mate. I accused him of being tipsy, which he denied. He could hardly stand. I then called the saloon passengers together for them to see him, and they all declared him to be drunk. There were six of them — Mr. Ewen, Mr. Graham, Mr. Dapper, Mr. Woods, and two others whose names I do not know. I told him to go to his room, and to consider himself under arrest. The last time I saw him before the vessel struck was when the pilot left the ship. I did not at that time observe that he was the worse for liquor. When the ship leaves harbour, after the anchors are stowed, it is the chief mate's duty to set the watch and the look-out. He had at the other ports we touched at done so. When I found that by reversing the engines, and going full speed astern for about an hour and a-half, I could not get her off, I ran her up-on the beach as far as I could, in order to save life and property. All the steering apparatus gave way, and the cabin windows were burst in. About midnight we lowered a boat, and began to land passengers, mails, and baggage. The vessel struck about 6 o'clock. Ever since that time every exertion has been used to save and land all the movable property in the vessel. All hands are engaged in that work at present. The officers of the vessel can obtain any amount of spirits from the Providore by paying for it. There is little or no probability of the vessel being got off again with the appliances to be obtained here. She is embedded in soft sand to an average depth of about 8 feet. I called a survey as soon as possible after the wreck occurred. The opinion of the Surveyors agreed with that I have just expressed. Had the vessel struck half a mile above or below where she is, in all probability every soul on board would have perished.
Cross-examined by the Accused — I have called you some times from the bridge to my cabin to point out the track to you, but not at night, as far as I can recollect.
[The following cross-examination of Captain Toogood was taken on Friday the 19th]:— Captain Toogood, cross-examined by Mr. Cook. — It was half-past three by my watch when I left Port Chalmers. A boat got adrift after we started from the Port. I do not think that more than five minutes were employed in recovering the boat. We were not detained by towing the "Lalla Rookh." The pilot left at twenty minutes past four, by my watch. I had not been on board, more than half an-hour before we left the Port. I saw the mate when he returned from the Port; I spoke to him. I did not perceive anything wrong with him at that time; and going down the Harbour, he called out to me that the anchor stock was broken. I afterwards spoke to him about having a new stock. I remember the Pilot and Captain Blacker leaving the ship. From the time the vessel left the Heads till the accident happened, I calculated she was going at the rate of nine knots, the ship struck aground, as nearly as I can recollect, about five minutes to six o'clock. I had been in the saloon about a quarter-of-an-hour, when the ship struck. I gave charge to the third mate when I went down, expecting that the first mate and crew were on the forecastle. I had seen him there performing his duty before it got dark. I do not know whether there was a look-out, but it was the mates' duly to see that there was one. I do not consider it my duty to see that the watch was set. It is usual to have a look-out at the bow of a steamer going along the coast. I think, on the night in question, a man on the bridge would have seen danger before a man on the bow. The third mate is responsible for the safety of the vessel, during the time he may be on duty on the bridge. I consider the third mate was responsible on the night in question, during the time he had charge of the ship. I went on deck immediately the ship struck and to the bridge. I can hardly say how I felt when I felt the ship strike. The third mate has no certificate of competency. I have made three or four voyages on this coast. I know the compasses of iron vessels on this coast are likely to get deranged. I consider it to be the imperative duty of the captain of an iron ship to examine the state of his compasses on every opportunity. My compasses were examined in Melbourne in January last and adjusted. We had them touched up in Sydney. I navigated the ship by standard compass. On the night in question, I depended upon the look-out more than the compasses. After steering about seven or eight miles, I altered the course from S.E. 1/2 E to S.S.W. by standard compass. This was about twenty minutes to 6 o'clock. It is my opinion that steering the last-mentioned course it would take me past Cape Saunders. I think from the position the ship is now in, she must have been acted upon by the current. I do not think the vessel was so far out as I expected she was when I left the deck. I had no reason to suppose that the accused was in liquor before the vessel struck.
Re-examined for. Prosecution— The chief mate's watch is from 4 to 8 o'clock. The whole time  from the time the vessel left the Heads until she struck was part of the chief mate's watch. The third mate being in charge, it was no part of his regular duty, but undertaken temporarily until the temporarily until the third mate relieved him. On the night in question a person on the bridge might have seen land two miles off.
By the Court.— At, the time I went below I had every reason to believe that the vessel was in the  position I indicated at that time. I think the difference of position that I believed the vessel to have been in, and the one she really was in, when when I left the deck was derivable from the fault of the compasses and the action of the Current.
THOMAS SAMPSON, on being sworn, said: — I am third mate of the steamship "Victory;" I shipped on board the "Victory" as boatswain, on, 7th May, 1860, I was appointed third mate on the 10th June last, the vessel was lying at Sydney at the time; we left Port Chalmers on the evening of Wednesday, 3rd July instant, between four and five o'clock, and got to the Heads about dusk; I recollect the Pilot leaving at the Heads. About three quarters of an hour after the vessel left the Heads the Captain requested me to take charge; the Captain's order was "Sampson, the course is S.W. by S. half S., and the compasses are near alike, and should the ship be likely to draw in with the land call me immediately;" I answered "Very good, Sir;" the Captain said, "Mr. Hands is gone down to get his tea;" it was the Chief Mate's watch, but I took it whilst he got his tea, expecting him to relieve me when he came from tea; between five and ten minutes after I had taken charge, the Chief Mate came and relieved me, I was on the bridge at the time; I said, "Well Mr. Hands have you had your tea; "he replied, "I have had one cup;" I said, "If you have not finished, go and get it;" he said, "Oh, never mind, I'll manage;" I said, "the course is S.W. by S. half S.;" he said, "Very well;" I said the orders are if the ship draws in with the land call the Capt. immediately; he said, "Very well." I saw the dim outline of the land, as I thought, at the time I gave him the charge, and I said to him, "Do you think that is the land?" he answered, "No! no fear;" I then told him to keep a good look-out for her, and then left him on the bridge, to get my tea; I did not observe at the time whether he was the worse for liquor; it was very dark; I could not see his face; I had left him about seven or eight minutes when the vessel struck; I immediately ran on deck and on to the bridge, and the first man I saw there was the Captain; I did not see the Mate there; he was not there; I had been on deck after the vessel struck about four or five minutes before I saw the Mate, who was then with the Captain and Chief Engineer on the bridge; the Captain was charging him with drunkenness and neglect of duty; he said he was not drunk, and that the charge of the ship had never been given into his hands. When I gave the vessel in charge to the Mate, the land on the beam was about a mile and a-half off, as near as I could guess. Immediately after the vessel struck the engines were reversed and put fit full speed astern, without avail.
Cross-examined by the Accused — At the time you relieved me I did not notice (as I before stated) whether you were the worse for liquor, but when I saw you afterwards with the Captain and the Chief Engineer on the bridge after the vessel struck I cannot say you were sober; I mean by that that you were the worse for liquor. 
Joseph Jacob, being sworn, said — I am a seaman on board the "Victory." I remember the vessel leaving Port Chalmers on the 3rd inst. I took the wheel at the Heads after the pilot left. We were about half a mile out. The captain was in charge at the time. At dark the captain instructed me to steer S.W. by S. half S., and nothing to windward. I kept the course the captain gave me until the vessel struck. After the captain left me I received no further instructions.
Cross-examined by the accused. — When the captain came to the wheel and gave the course, he said, "How's her head?" He was going to give me the course S.E.: almost before the words were out of his mouth, I said her head was S.W. He immediately corrected himself, and said, "I meant to say S.W. by S. half S." I saw land on the starboard beam all the way from the Heads, and I saw it on the port bow about half a minute before she struck.
Paul Staley, being sworn, said: — I am chief engineer on board the "Victory." I remember the 3rd inst, the day the vessel left Port Chalmers. I was in the cabin at tea when the vessel struck. I immediately went to the engine-room, and reversed the engines at full speed astern. They were kept so, going at intervals for about an hour and a half, but without avail. After finding there was no probability of getting her off, the engines were put ahead at full speed to drive her up on the shore. About half an hour after she struck I went on deck, and saw the chief mate by the engine-room companion alone. He said that the captain had accused him of being intoxicated, and of having run the vessel ashore. He said he did not think any one could say that he was intoxicated, or to blame for what had occurred. Afterwards I heard Mr. Hand admit to the captain that he had taken charge of the vessel from the third officer. I believe him to have been intoxicated at the time he was speaking to me at the companion. The reasons I give for forming this opinion are, that he could neither speak plainly nor stand steadily.

Donald Bremner, being sworn, said — I am second mate on board the steamship "Victory." I remember the day the vessel left Port Chalmers, the 3rd inst., about 4 o'clock. After the pilot left, I went forward and got all secure about the decks for the night. I sent the third officer on to the bridge to keep a look-out while I and the chief mate went to tea. It was the chief officer's watch on deck. I was below when she struck. I then immediately went on deck, and on to the bridge. The captain was there, but the chief mate was not there. I then went and got the boats prepared for lowering, and fired the guns and some rockets. I heard the captain calling for the mate, and a few minutes afterwards the mate came forward, but I could not tell where he came from. I was close to him. He was the worse for liquor.  -Otago Witness, 27/7/1861.

Tuesday, July 16, 1861.
The enquiry was resumed this day at the Resident Magistrate's Court, before the Resident Magistrate, his Honor the Superintendent, Capt. Thomson, Chas. Logic, J. P. Taylor, and Arthur Hogue, Esquires, Justices of the Peace.
Mr. Graham, as before, appeared for the Captain.
Mr. Cook, who now appeared for the Mate, objected to the information on the ground that it did not state the offence. It was accordingly amended, and Mr. Cook thereupon claimed to have the witnesses, who had already been examined, produced and re-examined, to afford him an opportunity of cross-examining them, — this was assented to by the Bench, but as those witnesses were not in attendance to-day the following evidence was taken : —
John Alexander Ewen, sworn and examined by Mr. Graham, said: — I was a passenger on board the "Victory," from Port Chalmers to Melbourne. I recollect the vessel leaving on the evening of the 3rd inst. I recollect her arriving at the Heads about sundown. About one hour after leaving the Heads the vessel struck. I was in the cabin at the time. I immediately went on to the poop. I believe I went on the deck afterwards. I could have distinguished any person on the bridge at the time. The captain was the only person I saw there. About two minutes afterwards I saw the captain on the poop and heard him exclaim "where is the mate." He did not answer. I did not see the mate until he was brought into the saloon, about a quarter of an hour after the vessel struck. I believe the captain brought him into the saloon in order that the passengers might see if he was drunk. I believe him to have been intoxicated. I thought so from what I saw of him at the Heads, but the ship bumping as she did might have made him reel more. I can distinctly swear that he was not sober. I believe the mate to have been in such a state as to render him unfit for the clear performance of his duties. The captain was below at tea when the vessel struck.
Cross-examined by Mr. Cook: — I have no means of fixing the precise time at which the vessel left the Heads. I remember the mate taking a boat with some men in it when the "Victory" was lying at anchor in Port Chalmers. There were two boats left the "Prince Alfred" for the "Victory," one of which the mate was in charge of. There were men in the boat, and a considerable quantity of luggage, with a heavy gun. I left the "Prince Alfred" in one of the two boats. I arrived at the "Victory" after the mate. I first saw the mate on board the "Prince Alfred." There was a goodly number of people on the deck of the "Prince Alfred," chiefly composed of the crew. I was not present when the mate spoke to the captain or officers of the "Prince Alfred." He seemed stupid. I next saw him on the deck of the "Victory," but I did not see him doing anything. I saw him on the poop when the pilot left, and I then believed him to have been drunk. I had sailed in the "Victory" on a previous occasion from Wellington to Lyttelton, and I think she was going on the night in question at a speed of ten knots an hour, if the same pressure of steam was then on that had been used between Wellington and Lyttelton. It was not a very dark night. The weather at the Heads was Hazy, but it was clearer when the vessel struck. I could not see the land clearly. 
By the Court: — He seemed more unsteady at the Heads than when I saw him at the Port. He lowered the pilot into a boat from the stern of the ship. I was fearful, from the state in which the mate appeared to be at the time, that some accident would happen. I observed the mate shake hands with the pilot before he left the vessel. There was a certain indescribable something connected with the parting between the mate and the pilot which attracted my attention as being unusual, which I attributed to the state the mate was in at the time.
Malcolm Graham, being sworn, said: — I was a passenger on board the "Victory" from Port Chalmers to the Bluff. The vessel left Port Chalmers about 4 o'clock on the afternoon of the 3rd inst. We arrived at the Heads about dusk. The weather at that time was thick and hazy, with rain. About an hour after we left the Heads the vessel struck. We were at tea at the time. All immediately ran upon deck. The captain ran on to the bridge and ordered the engines to be reversed, but without avail. In a few minutes after, the captain came forward to the poop where I was standing, and called out for the mate. A few minutes elapsed before the mate appeared. Shortly after the captain charged the mate with being drunk, which he denied. The captain then requested all the passengers to go below to see the state the mate was in. When below, one of the passengers requested the mate to walk along the deck, which he did, but was very unsteady, he was evidently the worse of liquor; he spoke very huskily and thick. 
Cross-examined by Mr. Cook. — I cannot state precisely the time at which the "Victory" left the port. I cannot state that it was not a quarter past 4 when we left the port. We were detained some time after we left the port by a boat which had got adrift. This was shortly after leaving Port Chalmers. The weather began to clear soon after we left the Heads. I saw the mate return from the "Prince Alfred." He had men with him in the boat, and some luggage. I afterwards saw the mate on the poop of the "Victory." He appeared to be doing his duty by assisting to get the vessel under weigh. I heard nothing about the anchor being broken. I did not see him speaking to the captain. I did not see him in the fore part of the vessel. I did not notice the condition of the mate when I saw him on the poop. I do not recollect seeing the mate again until after the vessel struck. The chief engineer was at tea with the others in the cabin. I saw the mate and the pilot have a glass of grog together at the Heads. I had been below about half an hour before the vessel struck. There was no commotion amongst the passengers when the vessel went ashore. I think the captain had been below nearly a quarter of an hour when the vessel struck. The mate appeared to come from forward of the poop when I first saw him, but I do not know where he came from.
John Louden, sworn and examined by Mr. Graham, said: — I am pilot, at Otago Harbour. I remember taking out the s.s. "Victory," on the 3rd inst.; I recollect seeing the mate on board at the Port and also when I left the vessel, — he appeared to me when we were going down the harbour to be worse of liquor; he had just enough to do him good, but he was not drunk; he could walk steadily; the Captain requested me to go below and get a glass of grog before I left; the mate went with me and he also had a glass of grog with me. When I left the ship he appeared to me competent to take charge of the ship. I have been a Master of iron steam vessels on this coast; I have found that little dependence can be given to the compasses, — both compasses are affected owing to local attraction; I never trusted to the compasses when near to land, but depended upon the lookout. If a vessel was steered outside Otago Heads until the Lighthouse bore S. by W. half W., distance about 11/2 miles, then steer S.E. half E. for about seven miles, then steer S.S.W., that course would, in my opinion, take a vessel three miles clear of Cape Saunders.
Cross-examined by Mr. Cook — I do not remember the precise time at which we left the anchorage at Port Chalmers, I think it was about 4 o'clock, it might have been after that time; I think we were about half-an-hour or 40 min. going from the Port to the Heads, when I left the vessel; I know the place where the vessel is now stranded; the distance the vessel would have run had she taken the course I have described, would, as nearly as I can judge, have been 11 or 12 miles to the place where she now lies. The distance from Tairoa's Head to Cape Saunders, along the coast, is, as near as I can judge, about seven miles; outside a line connecting Waikouaiti with Cape Saunders, and at a distance from Tairoa's Head of about three or four miles, a current sets in to the North, within that line the current runs about S.E. and N.W., the inner current is not sufficiently strong to affect a powerful steamer; I consider the vessel was in a perfectly safe position 10 minutes before she struck; she must have been two miles from the land; if the course before stated had been kept, the vessel ought to have been more than two miles off the land at that time; either the course had been altered or the compasses must have been wrong; a vessel may go safely round Cape Saunders within a stone's throw off the rocks; I am quite certain that on the night in question the land could have been seen four or five miles, and that soundings were not necessary if a good lookout was kept; whilst I was piloting the vessel I gave directions to the Mate, which he obeyed; I saw the Captain speaking to the Mate; the accused assisted Capt. Blacker into the boat when I left the vessel.
By the Court. — I was not previously acquainted with the accused.   -Otago Witness, 27/7/1861.


Port Chalmers

Mr. Scott proceeds to Wickliffe Bay on Monday with the Samson steamer, the barge Brothers, and greater part of the apparatus to be employed in the floating of the steamship Victory. It has been arranged between Captain Toogood and Mr. Scott that a messenger will be despatched from the vessel to the Heads, so as to intercept the Samson there, and give information of the state of swell in the bay, upon which the immediate execution of the work will depend. If the report is favorable, the Samson will proceed round, and the powerful chain which is to be used will be floated towards the shore, so far in that at low water it can be connected with the vessel's cables, and when that is done the Samson will steam outwards, paying out the chain until its full length is reached, when the ponderous anchor will be dropped. The chain will be floated by a number of casks, which are already fixed to the chain, about two fathoms apart, and communication with the shore will be achieved by discharging from a cannon a ramrod with a line attached. An experiment was made with this gun the other day, and it is expected to answer the purpose thoroughly, the adoption of such an expedient being rendered necessary in consequence of the heavy surf which usually prevails on the beach at the point where the Victory lies.   -Otago Daily Times, 30/7/1862.


Original Correspondence.
LOSS OF THE S.S. "VICTORY." 
To the Editor of the Otago Witness.
Sin,- — Will you permit me through the columns of your impartial journal to offer a few remarks in reference to the recent investigation into the loss of the steam-ship "Victory."
It is not my intention to occupy your space and waste my own time in repeating the unfounded assertions cast upon me by the Counsel for the Chief Officer, as I well know that that gentleman's obvious duty was to exculpate his client, — a feat impossible of performance except by finding a substitute. Accordingly, I being the most likely person to suit the occasion, was selected as the victim. But, Sir, I am not going to complain on that score. I have to take exception to some observations which fell from the Resident Magistrate in his summing up. And this I do in vindication of my own character as a Ship Master, and to remove erroneous impressions which such observations cannot fail to create. The said gentleman states that "reprehensible practices were allowed, and that unwarrantable carelessness and laxity of discipline prevailed on board the "Victory," Now, Sir, with all deference to the Justice's decision, I submit that the evidence adduced did not justify so sweeping a condemnation. Where was the breach of discipline? The Chief Officer drank too freely and became intoxicated! What amount of discipline will prevent men when they are so disposed from getting in that state? In the Royal Navy, where the discipline is of the strictest character, how often is it necessary to punish for the same offence. In the Army the case is the same. In short, if a man is bent upon drinking it is next to an impossibility to prevent him. "The Chief Engineer's conduct in leaving the Engine-room without waiting to see a competent officer in his stead, may be cited as a proof of laxity of discipline." I deny the force of that argument. The fact of his sending for an officer to relieve him proves the prevalence of discipline: and his not waiting till the arrival of such officer, although to some slight extent culpable, does not prove laxity of discipline. If an officer in the Royal Navy, or in the Mercantile Marine, does not fulfil his duty to the letter, it is not thence inferred that unwarrantable carelessness and laxity of discipline prevail in the ship. It is by no means common in steam-vessels for the Engineer to come up from the engine so as to take his tea, a meal that does not ordinarily occupy him more than five minutes, and for other necessary purposes, without leaving an officer in charge. 
Mr. Staley in sending for an officer to relieve him exercised an amount of caution not generally practised in many steam-vessels. His absence from the Engine-room on the occasion in question was in no way concerned in the disaster, for if he and fifty more like him had been there, their united strength and skill could not have averted it. He was only one minute's distance from his post, and that for but a very brief period, and if the Resident Magistrate can cite a case in which this state of things was productive of serious consequences, his knowledge of such matters exceeds mine. My leaving the deck I suppose was considered an act of unwarrantable carelessness. The testimony of the only Ship Master examined justifies my so doing, and his opinion I am sure would be endorsed by any nautical man who would take the trouble to acquaint himself with the merits of the case. But besides unwarrantable carelessness and laxity of discipline, reprehensible practices prevailed on board. These reprehensible practices on examination, I think, will be found to dwindle down to one practice — the pernicious system of providoring. I infer that that system is the "reprehensible practice" alluded to, from its receiving such severe and unqualified censure towards the close of the Resident Magistrate's address. With all due respect, Mr. Editor, for the decision arrived at by the Bench, I must state my conviction, that had they better understood the workings of this pernicious system, they would have spoken of it in very different terms. Their reasonings were merely theoretical. I can speak from experience, and do here affirm that during the whole time that I was Captain of the "Victory" since her arrival in the colonies, I never saw a single case of drunkenness on board, except the one just punished; and the pernicious system was the one adopted and carried out from the time of her arrival in the colonies until she was wrecked in Wickliffe.Bay. This is a stubborn fact that no amount of theoretical speculation will upset. It is not for me, Mr. Editor, to cumber your paper with explanations as to how the pernicious system evolves so desirable a result ; but such is the result, not only of my experience, but of that of others who have seen the system fairly in operation. I am not going to assert that the system is free from all objections ; but I do most emphatically assert that it is not conducive to intoxication; and this probably accounts for the rare occurrence of accidents, to the Company's vessels. That any of the crew who desired it had a glass of grog occasionally I freely admit. I did not deem it necessary to debar them entirely from that gratification, as there are times at sea when, notwithstanding what total abstainers may say to the contrary, a glass of spirits is of great service; but my injunctions to the Providore were never to give too much, and I have never had occasion to complain of their being disobeyed. The Company do not sanction the sale of intoxicating beverages to the crew: for, in their agreement with the Providore, it is distinctly stated that the Captain and officers are to be charged at no more than a certain per centage above original cost. As for the crew, my instructions from the manager are that they are to have no grog except at my option. While on this subject, I may state that the Australasian Steam Navigation Company have Providores, and other Companies, in their vessel, and it has never been complained that the system encourages drunkenness. The Inter-Colonial Royal Mail Company adopted the same principle, and no complaint on that score is ever urged against it; but, unfortunately for the latter, one of their chief officers indulges to excess, and forsooth the system is denounced as pernicious.
I may be considered a partizan of the Company in mentioning these facts; but in whatever light my conduct may be regarded, I deem it my duty to defend my own name and the interests of the Company when I see them unjustly assailed. 

In conclusion, I would express a wish that the public would read, mark, and digest the evidence adduced at the recent investigation before they come to the conclusion that reprehensible practices were allowed, and that unwarrantable carelessness and laxity of discipline prevailed on board the ill- fated "Victory." 

I am, Sir, Yours respectfully, James Toogood, Master. Dunedin, August 2, 1861.  -Otago Witness, 10/8/1861.


We have had a dark side to the picture as well as a bright one during the month. The Victory, the finest vessel of the Coleman company has been wrecked, evidently from the grossest carelessness. Fortunately she was run high and dry on a sandy beach in Wickliffe Bay, a few miles from the Otago Heads. The first mate under whose charge the vessel was when the unfortunate accident occurred, has been convicted before the Magistrates of being intoxicated and neglecting his duty, and sentenced to three month's imprisonment.  -The Colonist, 13/8/1861.


Town and Country News

We desire to call the attention of the public to a very promising scheme to further the recovery of the s.s.Victory lately lost near Port Chalmers. We understand that Mr. Scott is confident of being able to get her off at a very moderate expense. If the estimate in the prospectus is to be relied upon, and it certainly appears reasonable enough, the vessel when refitted will be worth at least four times the capital expended on her, in other words each £5 share will be saleable at £20, to say nothing of the profits the vessel will at once be in a position to make as a first-class passenger steamer. We understand that tenders have been invited from the Banks for the Government account, and that the terms offered by the Bank of New Zealand were such as to induce the Government to open an account with that establishment.  -Lyttelton Times, 25/1/1862.




THE FLOATING OF THE S.S. VICTORY
As previously reported, Mr. Scott, engineer, has arrived from Sydney with his appliances for the removal of the steamship Victory from the strand in Wickliffe Bay. The following particulars of the means to be employed by Mr. Scott arc given by the Sydney Morning Herald of the 21st ult.: —

"It will be in the recollection of our readers, that this vessel ran on shore in Wickliffe Bay, about seven months since, on her passage from Dunedin, and where she has been lying imbedded in the sand ever since; but we are happy to state that there is every prospect of this fine ship being again afloat. The difficult task of removing her from her present helpless position has been undertaken by Mr. Scott, whose skill and perseverance has on former occasions been successfully tested. Mr. Scott is well known in this city, as connected with the laying down of the A.S.N. Co.'s Patent Slip at Pyrmont, and also for the strenuous exertions he made in endeavouring to float the steamer William Denny, which vessel got on shore near the N. W. Cape of New Zealand. The means employed on that occasion consisted of a series of hydraulic blocks, which principle will be again resorted to, only differently applied. Mr. Clark, acting manager for the Intercolonial Mail Company, on receiving intelligence of the accident to the Victory, was most anxious to purchase the vessel and endeavor to get her off for the benefit of the company, but, in consulting Lloyd's agent on the matter, found he could not do so; she was therefore abandoned, and ultimately sold to parties in Dunedin for £570. After a lapse of four months, Mr. Clark ceased his connection with the Intercolonial Company, and, acting on behalf of her present owners, made arrangements with Mr. Scott to float her. The Victory, as before stated, is laying on a sandy beach, perfectly free from rocks for a distance of half-a-mile with a six feet rise of tide. Twelve hydraulic cylinders are in course of manufacture by Messrs. P. N. Russell, each cylinder capable of lifting 150 tons; these are to be fastened to the ship's side by strong ironbark timber placed vertically, each timber or upright taking three angle irons properly secured and strapped, giving an equal strain on all parts of the hull. The heel of each hydraulic lift will rest on a movable sand shore, showing a surface of from 50 to 60 feet. The engines on board the steamer, all of which are in excellent working order, will then be applied, to the hydraulic-lifts, and the vessel be lifted from her bed and propelled forward, at the same time, as illustrated in the action of walking in the human frame, the sand-slides will then be shifted forward, and the same process continued until the vessel is sufficiently afloat to be hove off to moorings, which will consist of 300 fathoms of two-inch chain, attached to heavy anchors laid down in eleven fathoms water. To prevent the vessel coming home, strong purchases will lead on board from the moorings, on which a heavy strain will be constantly kept by means of the ship's engines, which will naturally induce a forward motion, as the hydraulics act. Fortunately, the steamer lies in a well-sheltered position, the wind, during the winter months, being off shore; Mr. Scott anticipates being enabled to commence operations in about a month, and should his plan prove successful,, of which he appears sanguine, it will reflect the highest credit on his skill and ingenuity. It should be stated, that the ship is perfectly sound, not a single rivet having been started.  -Otago Daily Times, 12/7/1862.



We learn, from an authority likely to be well informed, that it was confidently expected that the s.s. Victory would be got off last evening. Our information is to the effect that the vessel had been slewed round with her head to the sea, and that the large cable has been made fast to her bow; so that, with a tolerably high tide, it should be easy to warp her off. We should mention that, when this heavy cable was laid down, the shore end of it was 70 fathoms, or 420 feet from the vessel; so that, to have got it on board, she must have been shifted at least 420 feet. The other end of the cable is fast to an anchor of three tons weight some considerable distance out.  -Otago Daily Times, 11/9/1862.

NARRATIVE OF CURRENT EVENTS FOR TRANSMISSION TO MELBOURNE.
There has been no intelligence of the two missing steamers, the Comet and the Citizen, and it is much to be feared that they have foundered. Mr Scott has met with a severe disappointment in connection with the floating of the s.s. Victory, in Wickliffe Bay. A few days ago the steamer was actually afloat, with her head well out to sea, and steam was being got up, when the chain cable to which she was riding snapped, and she drifted ashore, where she now lies in a worse position than before.  -Otago Daily Times, 27/11/1862.

TELEGRAPHIC DESPATCH.
(FROM OUR PORT CHALMERS REPORTER.)
Port Chalmers, Nov. 28, 1862.—Time, 8.30 p.m,
Recovery of Victory is hopeless. She is now lying only visible two feet above water at full tide, and at low water daylight can be seen through her. Has broken in two near the main gangway. Has burst her decks. Is full of water and filling with sand. Doubtful if anything can be saved, Captain Toogood has left Wickliffe Bay, hopeless as to another attempt; and Mr Scott, who went round to-day, will no doubt return.    -Otago Daily Times, 29/11/1862.


ABSTRACT OF SALES BY AUCTION. THIS DAY.
J. Daniels and Co, at their rooms — Galvanised iron, limber, lime. On the Old Jetty—Potatoes, bran. Sale of timber at Cleve and Co's, postponed. 
F. Moss and Co, at their rooms — Hull, gear, fittings, and machinery of s.s. Victory, corned beef, sherry and ginger wine, sugar, soap, candles, ironmongery, bedsteads, bran, colonial oats. quicksilver, wooden houses, timber, bricks, lime, ale, hams, flour, bran. 
E. De Carle and Co, at Messrs Lazarus' Bonded Store— Ale.   -Otago Daily Times, 3/12/1862.

The sale by auction of the s.s. Victory as she lies at Wickliffe Bay, took place yesterday, at the rooms of Messrs F. J. Moss and Co. There was a fair attendance of bidders, the sale appearing to have excited considerable interest, but all evinced, at first, considerable timidity, and the first bid was only £5. Soon, however, the bids began to improve, and the competition to increase, and the vessel, with all property on board belonging to her, was at length knocked down at £200.  -Otago Daily Times, 4/12/1862.

Auctions
PUBLIC AUCTION, At Noon, on WEDNESDAY. 
SUNDRY Articles belonging to S.S. Victory, including— Crockery ware, Brass-work, Saloon fittings of all descriptions, Doors, Mirrors. &c. &c. &c.   -Otago Daily Times, 21/12/1862.

THE FLYING MIST.
Mr. Scott, C.E., has had another mishap at Wickliffe Bay. The scheme of floating the Victory having come to an unfortunate termination at the very moment he had succeeded in overcoming all the engineering difficulties, the vessel was abandoned by the company formed for the purpose of recovering her, and, along with some others, was bought by Mr. Scott.
Having subsequently visited the scene of the Flying Mist, and resolved upon an attempt to float her, he proceeded on Monday morning, 22nd December, to Wickliffe with the barge or small schooner Favorite, and, having taken her into the lagoon, proceeded to load her with a small engine belonging to the Victory, and a number of other appliances, the value of which could not be less than £600.
Having received tier cargo, the Favorite was being pulled out over the bar on Tuesday afternoon, when, most unfortunately, one of the men on the port side slipped his oar; the vessel fell off in the sea again; and before she could be brought up, she was among the breakers, and was soon driven on the beach. Mr. Scott, who was on board, and the bands employed, had necessarily a narrow escape of their lives, getting ashore only with difficulty and the little vessel has been totally wrecked, while everything in her has been lost, so far as can at present be ascertained.  -The Colonist, 2/1/1862.

Auctions
TO be Sold by Public Auction, at Port Chalmers this day, at 1 p.m. 
Two boats, chains, warps, sails, blocks, saloon fittings, crockery, and other articles saved from the s.s Victory.  -Otago Daily Times, 24/1/1863.

Gimbal-mounted candle holder from the SS Victory, Portobello Museum.

FOR SALE. 
THE Undersigned has for sale, and will forward them to Wellington, if the purchaser should require them here, the following articles:— 
Oscillating winch and boiler attached, complete, 5 horse power.
One hundred and forty fathoms chain, l 3/8, 1 1/8, and 2 inches. 
Cooking apparatus, capable of cooking for 200, in first rate condition. 
A nine inch Europe hawser, and hydraulics. 
They are part of the s.s. Victory, and are now lying at Port Chalmers, having been recovered from the wreck. 
JAMES DUNCAN, Master Brig Remark.   -Wellington Independant, 28/3/1863.



SS Victory, 1867.  Artist unknown, held by Portobello Museum.

The Otago Institute (excerpt)

Taking our way across this neck, and then across the wet flat of Papanui, of course at low tide, it is easy to arrive at the sand banks on the Wickliffe Bay side. Proceeding towards the ocean we find two distinct series of dunes, one of a much older date than the other, covered with green turf, while the one nearest the sea is only the usual loose drifting sand, The beach at Wickliffe Bay is about two miles in length, a line of sand hills running all the way. Though composed of such a loose material as dry sand, these hills maintain a character of permanence which is wonderful. For instance, when people were working at the wreck of the Victory steamer, some seven years ago, a sort of telegraph was erected on the top of one of the hills, which retains its contour and elevation very much the same to this day; and any one looking at the long line of hills which mark the ocean beach near Dunedin, must have remarked how permanent they are, very little, if any, change having occurred in their general appearance for many years.   -Otago Daily Times, 18/6/1870.


The winter gales of August have played havoc with the wreck of the old steamer Victory at Wickliffe Bay (reports the Dunedin Star). The boiler has now quite collapsed, and very soon the whole remains will be lost to sight in the sand. The Victory went ashore at the bay in 1861. She was laden with diggers from Australia, but not a life was lost. She was refloated a few days after the mishap, but went ashore again for good on a blind roller. The old boiler must have been good material to have stood the buffetings of heavy seas for sixty years.  -Poverty Bay Herald, 23/9/1921.



THE OUTSKIRTS OF DUNEDIN.
A TRAMPER’S PARADISE. Written for the Otago Daily Times

By E. V. B.  (excerpt)
From the Pyramids we make our way over to Wickliffe Bay, there being no definite route, and tramp along the beach. At the south end we see a piece of iron framework, resembling a half-buried wheel — all that remains of the steamship Victory, which was wrecked here in July, 1861. The Victory was bound from Lyttelton to Port Chalmers, and ran ashore, through the chief officer mistaking Papanui Inlet for Otago Harbour. She was refloated, but the heavy winter seas brought her even higher on shore and broke her to pieces. No lives were lost, and her cargo reached Dunedin safely. It is for this reason that the shore of Wickliffe Bay is sometimes spoken of as Victory Beach. We return home round the edge of the inlet, over the Wickliffe Bay road to Lower Portobello. and thence to Dunedin.  -Otago Daily Times, 4/5/1929.
Photo by D A De Maus, from the Hocken Library.


Dot's little folk (excerpt)

Then there is the Victory wrecked on the sandy beach of WickliffeBay. When the tide is out, and if the water is reasonably smooth, one can wade out to this wreck and clamber over the barnacle-encrusted remains, chiefly large slabs of the bulkheads. Many a memento has been taken from this vessel in the past, and the story of its attempted salvation reads like a romance, when followed in the pages of " Shipwrecks—New Zealand Disasters," by Ingram and Wheatley. Best wishes to the Little Folk. TAMATI (Dunedin).  -ODT, 23/8/1937.


Article image
AN OLD WRECK EXPOSED AT WICKLIFFE BAY
Occasionally at a very low tide the remains of the steamer 
Victory, which went ashore at Wickliffe Bay on July 3, 1861 — 78 years ago — are still to be seen. She was a new vessel of 501 tons, and had been placed on the Melbourne-Otago-Canterbury run earlier in the same year.  -Otago Daily Times, 13/6/1939.

The remains of the "Victory" have mostly disappeared over the years, either sinking into the sand, succumbing to storms and wave action or being "souviniered" by visitors.  One piece is still visible.

A selection of photos taken during a visit to the wreck, during a "supermoon" low tide in February, 2018.

From the DCC webmap/aerial photo.










No comments:

Post a Comment