Sunday 1 September 2019

A Leith Valley Tragedy - Mr and Mrs Edward Loft.




LOFT AND CO. 
BOOTS for the New Year. Go to LOFT & CO.'S, where you will find the best assortment. 
BOOTS that are good and cheap and will wear well. — See our immense stock of Children's Boots and shoes, from 1s -Loft and Co., Arcade. 
LOFT & CO.'S Stock of Ladies' Kid and Levant Boots is good and fresh, Only just opened, and being heavily stocked, are offering the whole at very low prices. Only see them.
LOFT & CO'S Stock of Men's Goods will be found very large, English and Foreign Sewn Boots and Shoes, with and without cloth tops, specially adapted for holiday wear. 
LOFT & CO.'S Stock of Their Own Manufacture is large, and every pair is guaranteed to wear and give satisfaction. Men's Lorne Shoes, l0s 6d; Men's Balmorals, l1s 6d; Men's Bluchers, 8s 6d 
For good smart Shoes try our own make.


FOR BOOTS and SHOES, all makes and sizes, go to LOFT & CO., 9, 10, and 11 Royal Arcade.  -Otago Daily Times, 1/1/1884.


"They had a boot shop in the Arcade where apparently both husband and wife worked.  Tragedy overtook the Lofts, after he and his wife had a row one Sunday.  Loft fired at her with a shot gun but she was not hurt and ran to Reynold's house.  He followed later but someone had sent for the police, and Sergeant O'Neill and Constable Miller arrived. Loft was talking to Reynold when the police came.  The two men were near the gate to Loft's place and the police advanced.  Loft said they would never get him so just as they were almost within reach he shot himself dead by putting the gun to his head.  Later in the afternoon an express arrived and his body, covered by sacks, was taken along the top road and down Leith Valley to town. It is thought Mrs Loft carried on the business for a time after her husband's death."


Davidson, in his unpublished history of Leith Valley,  might have heard the story of the Lofts at second-hand, for there is a slight discrepancy in his version.  The weapon used was not a shotgun - however, contemporary newspapers corroborate most of his story.



TRAGEDY AT DUNEDIN.
ATTEMPTED MURDER AND SUICIDE

[Per Press Association] DUNEDIN, Sept. 9. A shocking tragedy occurred in the Leith Valley this afternoon. Edward Loft, the proprietor of a large boot shop, his wife and niece were visiting some property near the water-works, when Mrs Loft made some remark to her husband about his drinking again. Loft, who seems to have been drinking heavily of late, immediately pulled a six-chambered revolver out of his pocket and fired at his wife. The first shot struck the steel in her stays, and glanced off, but the second went through her left lung and out at the back. In putting up her arms to defend herself Mrs Loft was struck by the bullets on the thumb and fore finger, which are shattered. The niece, Miss Bury, aged 17, interfered, and Loft seized her and tried to throttle her, but both she and Mrs Loft got away, and took shelter in Mr Reynolds' house. They sent for assistance, and Loft remained outside, making no further attempt to do harm. On two constables arriving, they went in search of Loft. When they got within fifty yards of him, he put the pistol to his mouth and fired. 
Death was almost instantaneous. Mrs Loft was removed to her home, but though she may live two or three days, she is not expected to recover. 
The niece, Miss Bury, is in no way injured. So far as is known, the parties were on good terms, and except the remark made about drinking, there was no cause for the action of Loft, who is believed to have been suffering from delirium tremens.  -Star, 10/10/1887.

FURTHER PARTICULARS.
Yesterday afternoon a dreadful occurrence took place at Woodhaugh, a well-known Dunedin tradesman making a murderous assault on his wife and then taking his own life. The chief actor in the affair was Edward Loft, master bootmaker, and proprietor of the People’s Boot Shop in the Arcade. It appears that Loft and his wife, accompanied by Mrs Loft’s unmarried cousin, Emma Bury, started yesterday morning for a walk to a farm called the Cedars, at Wakari, about halfway between the Water of Leith and the Halfway Bush, This farm was the property of the Lofts, but had not been worked for some time past. There was nothing unusual in their undertaking the walk, it having been a custom with Loft and his wife to go out there for a sort of family picnic on fine Sundays. From what Miss Bury states, it seems that on arriving at the farm she and Mrs Loft went for a stroll round the place while Loft went to drive some cows that had trespassed on the garden. Loft at this time was quite rational in his behavior, and seemed to be in his ordinary state of health, excepting that he was evidently nervous and irritable from the effects of a drinking bout. While he was away the luncheon was unpacked, and on his rejoining the ladies the three were about to sit down and partake of the refreshment, when Mrs Loft said to her husband “What do you want to drink to-day for,” or something to that effect. That was the only remark Miss Bury heard. Without a moment’s notice, Loft thereupon drew from his coat pocket a revolver, and, saying “Take that,” fired two shots at his wife. One of the bullets penetrated her right breast, passed through the lung, and came out at the shoulder-blade; the other struck the steel busk of her corset and did no damage. Horrified by what she had seen, Miss Bury ran out of the farm-house and took to her heels across the paddocks, followed by Loft. As she started to run, she noticed that Mrs Loft was endeavoring to leave the house by the window. Loft soon overtook Miss Bury, and, throwing her to the ground, got his hand on her throat. The girl quickly lost her senses, and knows nothing of what occurred until, on recovering consciousness, she saw Loft and his wife close to her; the would-be murderer now doing all he could to, succour his wife, and evidently anxious to do what he could to repair the mischief he had done. Miss Bury offered to go and fetch water from a drain that was running close by, and Left gave her his hat to carry the water in; but fear impelled her to run off to the nearest house, Mr Reynolds’s, instead of going back. Having heard Miss Bury’s account of the occurrence, Mr Reynolds and his son hurried in the direction of the spot indicated, and met Mrs Loft, who, though almost exhausted, was making what efforts were still possible to get away from the farm. Mr Reynolds and his son carried her into their house; and the son then went off to give the alarm to Sergeant O’Neill and two constables who were on duty at Woodhaugh. Mr Reynolds meanwhile went towards Loft, who asked how his wife was, said that it was drink that driven him to commit the deed, and remarked “If she is dead I will blow my brains put.” Loft was at this time brandishing the revolver, and was apparently in a very excited state of mind. A few moments only elapsed after Loft had ceased speaking when Sergeant O’Neill and the constables were observed approaching rapidly. The instant he espied them, while they were yet about sixty yards off, Loft without hesitation placed the muzzle of the revolver in his mouth and fired, falling on the spot where he had stood, and expiring a few moments afterwards, without uttering a word or making the sign of a struggle. 
Dr Maunsell, who was on the spot very quickly — indeed, before Loft shot himself — has made the following statement of what he knows in connection with this sad affair:— “I was told of the tragedy by telephone, and as my horses were already harnessed in the trap at the door, I lost no time in proceeding to the scene. When I got to Reynolds’s place Loft was close to the house. He was talking very rapidly about someone having been shot, and he had all the appearance of a man in delirium tremens. I could not tell from what he said whether he had shot the woman himself, or whether someone else had done so. I asked him where Mrs Loft was, and he told me she was in the house. I went into the house, and found her lying in a pool of blood. She was shot through the right lung. The ball had entered below the right collar-bone, and come out at the blade-bone behind. She was bleeding very profusely at the time, and also vomiting blood; but was quite conscious. I stopped the bleeding at once, and sent a man away for an express to take her to the Hospital, She, however, objected strongly to be taken there, and at her own request she was conveyed to her home down the Valley. While I was in the house at the farm the police arrived. They asked where Loft was. I told them he was outside, and warned them to be cautious, as a man had come in and told me, that Loft was loading his pistol. As the police were going up to him he put the pistol into his mouth and shot himself. I did not see him do that, but I went out immediately afterwards and found he was not quite dead. On examining him I found that his front teeth were knocked out, and that his spine was fractured. The bullet was lying just under the skin at the back of the head — between the head and the neck. The ball had fractured the cervical vertebrae. I found that a bullet had grazed Mrs Loft’s hand, tearing the skin from the forefinger and the thumb. She had also been struck with a bullet on the left side, but the ball had evidently hit one of the steel ribs in her stays and glanced off. She told me that she and her husband generally visited the farm on Sundays. This morning, when they left to go to it, her husband seemed quite right. She mentioned, however, that he had been drinking very heavily for the last week. I think there is very little chance of Mrs Loft’s recovery. She is now in her own home, where she is very comfortable, and will receive every attention.” 
Loft arrived in New Zealand about fourteen years ago, and some five years since sold his business and went on a trip with his wife to the Old Country. On returning to the Colony he started in the boot trade at Oamaru, and subsequently resumed business at his original premises in the Arcade. Mrs Loft, who is highly spoken of by those who know her, was nearly always to be seen at the shop during business hours, attending to customers and generally taking an active concern in the business. Miss Bury has been in Dunedin only about six months, and lives with her family. She is not seriously injured by Loft’s’ violence. 
Such are the leading facts of this dreadful occurrence, so far as they were ascertainable up to noon to-day. Further particulars may probably be disclosed at the inquest, which takes place at three o'clock this afternoon. At 2 p.m. to-day Dr Maunsell informed us that Mrs Loft was a good deal better. 
THE INQUEST On the body of Edward Loft was held at the Woodhaugh Hotel this afternoon at three o'clock, before Mr. Coroner Carew and a jury of six, of whom Mr Daniel was chosen foreman. Inspector Weldon watched the proceedings on behalf of the police. The jury having viewed the body, the following evidence was taken:-
Emma Bury: I am a single woman, and lately lived with my cousin, Jane Loft, in Clark street, North-east Valley. My cousin was married to Edward Loft. I recognise the body in the next room as that of Edward Loft. He brought me over from Melbourne about five or six months ago, and I had been staying with him ever since. He carried on business as a boot manufacturer in the Royal Arcade. He owned a farm at Wakari called The Cedars. My cousin and Mr Loft used to go on a Sunday to see the farm. I had been once before with them; yesterday was the second time. Deceased, Mrs Loft, and myself went, leaving North-east Valley just as the church bells were ringing for morning service. We walked up, and reached there just before twelve. There was no one living at the farm. We all went into the house, and had lunch in it. We then went outside, and Mrs Loft and myself gathered flowers. Mr Loft was with us all the time. We went into the bush on the farm, getting musk. Mr Loft left us saying that he was going to chase some cows out of the garden. We had seen three or four cows in the garden as we went on to the farm. He returned to us in ten minutes or a quarter of an hour, and we all went down to the house together. My cousin was kneeling down putting flowers into a basket, and she asked him what he wanted to drink for. He had been drinking on the Saturday. I had not heard anything said about drink at that time. Mr Loft looked as if he had had drink, but it may have been that he was excited. He replied “Take that,” took a revolver out of his pocket, and fired two shots at my cousin. She got up and ran towards the window after the first shot, and then he fired a second shot. The door was closed, and it was as I turned to run out that he fired the second shot. She ran to the window. I got outside and ran across the paddock. Mr Loft overtook me, threw me down, and tried to choke me with his hands. I know nothing after that until I got up. When I got up I could not see Mr Loft. I went in the direction of the road that leads from the farm to the district road, and then saw my cousin sitting against the bank with her hand to her head covered with blood. Mr Loft was sitting with her, doing nothing — just leaning over as if he felt sorry. When I saw him I tried to run to get assistance. He overtook me and brought me back to my cousin, telling me to sit down. I asked him to let me go for water. He wanted to go with me. I said that someone had better stay with my cousin. When I thought I was going for water I asked him what I should get it in. He gave me his hat — a round, soft, cloth hat, which I think would not hold water. He told me I was to go to the drain, I went in the direction of the drain, and, when I got there, looked round and saw him stooping over her. I walked through the drain, so that he could not see me, and ran to the nearest house. I there saw Mrs Reynolds and her two daughters, also some men who were in the house. I told them what had happened, and two of them went down to bring Mrs Loft in. Mr Reynolds was one of the men who went. I saw no more of Mr Loft after that. During the week Loft had been in the habit of going out to get a glass, but not to get tipsy. I have seen him tipsy, but not during last week, until Saturday. On that day he went out about a quarter to eleven, and returned about seven o’clock at night. He seemed then to be very tipsy. My cousin used to say that he used to drink — that she could smell it on him; and I think he used to drink. Before we left to go to the farm Loft seemed to be in a very good temper; he was kind all day, kinder than usual. He talked sensibly enough. I did not see him take any drink yesterday, but my cousin thought he had had some. We took no drink with us. Did not hear him speak just before he fired the second shot. He did not say anything to me when he threw me down. He seemed as if he had had drink or something — he was different to usual. He kept taking us to very peculiar places on the farm, all amongst the trees. My cousin asked him what he wanted to take us there for, and he replied “Oh, come back.” Did not notice whether his hands were unsteady. Have seen the revolver before; he used to have it hanging over the kitchen mantelpiece. He has had the revolver for about four years. He carried it to the farm about a week ago, saying he wanted it to shoot birds and rabbits. We had not seen the revolver from the day he took it away until yesterday. When he took me back to my cousin he seemed sorry, but did not say anything. There have been quarrels at times between my cousin and her husband, but he never struck her but once. That was a few weeks ago. It was not a serious blow. My cousin hit him back again. I do not know what the quarrels were about. He used to bring up quarrels for nothing; if we spoke to anyone in the shop he would quarrel. He used to show jealous in respect to his wife; if a gentleman customer said anything to her he would go up and want to know what was said. The last time I saw anything of that sort was the week before last. His fits of anger did not last long, and he would then be quite nice again. We all had breakfast together yesterday morning. He always ate his meals. By the Jury; I did not see him take any drink to the farm.
Dr Maunsell: At about four o’clock yesterday afternoon I got a telephone message from Woodhaugh to proceed there at once, and in consequence went there. On arriving at Woodhaugh I was directed to a house, where I found Mrs Loft. Before arriving at the house I saw the deceased standing on a newly-made road, close to the fence. He seemed like a man suffering from delirium tremens, and was talking tome in a very excited manner, I asked him what had occurred, and he pointed to the house. I did not make out what he said, but understood him to mean that someone in the house had been shot. I proceeded at once to Mr Reynold’s house, and there found Mrs Loft lying on the bed in great agony. Her clothes were saturated with blood. On removing her upper garments I found a wound in the upper part of the chest, about two inches below the right collar-bone. This was like what would have been caused by a ball from a small revolver. There was another wound below the right scapula at the back, which in all probability was caused by the same bullet. On the opposite side of the chest, over the region of the heart, there was a black mark like a bruise. This would in all probability have been paused by a bullet having struck the stays. She had a very strong pair of stays on at the time. The skin shewed an extensive bruise, but no penetration. The flesh on the thumb and forefinger of the left hand was lacerated and bruised. In all probability this was caused by a bullet. Mrs Loft was cold and almost pulseless. She had lost a tremendous quantity of blood. I heard the report of a pistol, and on going out saw Loft lying on his back on the ground. He was almost dead, and was lying about 100 yards distant. He breathed once or twice, and then expired. I examined the body, which was bleeding extensively from the mouth and from the nose. Four of the teeth in the upper jaw were blown away. The mouth was full of blood, and part of the roof of the mouth was blown away. Lifting up the head I found that the spine was fractured. A bullet could be distinctly felt under the skin at the back of the neck close to the skull. It was similar in size to the bullets in the revolver produced. The wound was in all probability self inflicted. When I first saw Loft as I was driving along the road I thought from his manner that he was suffering from delirium tremens.
James Reynolds, farmer and laborer: I live on the farm next to the one owned by the deceased, whom I knew. About a quarter past three o’clock yesterday his niece came down to my house, and from what she told me, I and my two sons went up to Mr Loft’s farm. When half way across the grass paddock I saw Mrs Loft staggering across. Just as we reached her she fell down. We carried her into the house. I did not at that time see anything of Mr Loft, but half an hour afterwards he came and called to us across the fence. He beckoned for us to come up to him, and I and one of my sons went up to him. He asked if his wife was alive, and, putting the revolver to his mouth, said “If my wife is dead I’ll blow my brains out.” He said it was drink that had caused it. I then saw the doctor coming, and went down to the house. I think I was the last who talked to Loft. He made the remark that he had been up at the house doing a little writing. He looked much wilder when he came down to my house than when he went up in the morning, for he was laughing when he was going up. While we were talking there was a stone fence between us. He did not let us get closer to him, and as soon as we moved he moved further up the bank. He did not mean us to get hold of him. He did not seem to be angry. 
By the Jury: I judged from his actions and his words that he was sorry for what he had done. When he came down to the fence he said that he had three chambers of his revolver still loaded. I was not afraid of him, and on open ground would have tackled him, but had no chance of capturing him as he was on higher ground than I. If I had attempted to climb over the fence he would have blown his brains out. 
The Jury returned a verdict of “Suicide while temporarily insane.”  -Evening Star, 10/10/1887.

Reports of Mrs Loft's demise were, to quote Mark Twain, were "greatly exaggerated."

Public Notices
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC 
MRS E. LOFT 
Is now progressing favourably towards recovery, and in consequence 
The PREMISES, 9, 10, 11, and 12 Royal Arcade, 
Will be REOPENED and BUSINESS RESUMED 
ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15.  -Otago Daily Times, 17/10/1887.

NOTICE TO FARMERS. 
LOFT'S GREAT BANKRUPT SALE 
Of Boots and Shoes. 
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC. 
The Goods purchased at Extraordinary Prices in the ASSIGNED ESTATE of Messrs Reynolds, Clark, and Hitchcock, boot manufacturers, Dunedin, will be sold at ENORMOUS REDUCTIONS TO COMMAND SPEEDY CLEARANCE. 
QUOTATIONS. Men's Colonial-made Balmorals, 8s l1d Women's Colonial-made Elastic-sides, 6s 9d Men's Colonial-made Elastic-sides, 9s l1d Women's Colonial-made Balmorals, 6s 9d Men's Colonial-made Bluchers, 6s 9d Women's Colonial-made Leather Slippers 3s 6d Colonial-made School Boots, Balmorals, and Elastic-sides — l and 2, 5s l1d; 10 to 13 4s 6d; 7 to 9, 3s 6d; 4to 6, 2s 6d. Heel and toe plates and nails. 
All other Lines, English Goods included, will be Sold equally as Cheap. No deception. 
The People's Boot Shop & Cheap English Drapery Mart 9, 10, l1, & 13, ROYAL ARCADE  -Otago Witness, 21/10/1887.

Public Notices
IMPORTANT INTIMATION.
MRS LOFT, having so far recovered from her late distressing illness, wishes to return her sincere thanks to her many friends and the public generally for the kind sympathy they have shown her during her great trouble, and hopes, as she is again able to attend to her business at the old premises, that her old customers will still continue to give her a share of their patronage, as one and all may rest assured that she will serve them as faithfully in the future as she has done in the past, as her long experience in the Boot Trade has given her a thorough knowledge of the business in all its branches. An early call is cordially invited for the inspection of the large stock of New Goods. BOOTS, SHOES, and SLIPPERS, English, Continental, and Colonial, in every variety. To which has been added, for the convenience of customers, a Choice Assortment of DRAPERY and FANCY GOODS. 
MRS LOFT’S DRAPERY AND BOOT STORE, 9, 10, 11, and 12 Royal Arcade, Dunedin.  -Evening Star, 7/12/1887.


SALE BY AUCTION OF FREEHOLD PROPERTIES. 

JAMES SAMSON & CO. have been favoured with instructions from Mrs Loft to sell by auction at their Rooms, Her Farm, known as The Cedars, near the Dunedin Waterworks, containing by admeasurement 36 acres, together with a Seven-roomed Dwelling House and Outhouse thereon; large Orchard, all securely fenced. 

The above is a very desirable Property, and will be sold a bargain. Terms easy.  -Otago Witness, 9/3/1888.

Mrs Loft lived and traded for many more years on her own accord and, when she died, was buried beside her husband in Dunedin's Northern Cemetery.  "The Cedars" became the property of the Booth family, who extended the house, formed the current road which follows McGouns Creek, and planted an orchard, before being bought by the Dunedin City Council to preserve its part of the watershed of the Ross Creek reservoir.  It was lived in by a Council employee and eventually pulled down in 1921.  The entire area was planted in pines.  These days, if you don't know where to look, no sign is left of "The Cedars."

Personal
There died recently one who had been in business in Dunedin for many years in the person of Mrs Jane Loft. She arrived in Dunedin in 1874 with her husband in the Janet Court, and they commenced business in it somewhat large way as bootmakers and importers in the royal arcade. Mr Loft died in 1887, but the business was carried on until recently by Mrs Loft. She left no children, but is survived by a brother (Mr John Morrell, of Melville street), and a sister (Mrs King, also living in Melville street), Mrs Loft was 70 years of age at the time of her death.  -Oamaru Mail, 27/1/1912.



No comments:

Post a Comment