Sunday 5 April 2020

20420 Private John Rakiraki, 6/1/1887-3/5/1918.

A few weeks ago I went exploring gthrough a small part of South Otago.  Driving through Kaka Point to take the road inland towards Owaka, I saw a "Cemetery" sign and turned off.  I had found the Kai TahuUrupa of Kaka Point.

There was one person in the Urupa, Tam Scott, local kaitiake, doing some gardening.  He was kind enough to give me permission to take photos in the urupa.

Tam asked me if I could find a photo of John Rakiraki, who is buried a long way from home, in France, so that John's photo could be held at the cenotaph on Anzac Day.  Others had tried for him without success so I promised to do what I could but didn't think I'd have any more luck.  I wish I could say I came through for him but so far I have not.  But I was able to find his military record through Archives New Zealand and add a few details to his story.


John Rakiraki grew up at Kaka Point and was a bush feller, living in Raetihi, when he joined the army in 1916 as part of the 16th Reinforcements. He stood six feet tall.

While part of the Auckland Regiment he was slightly wounded, with a bullet wound in the leg, on June 9, 1917. On that date the Aucklanders were reaching the end of the Batttle of Messines.  From June 7 to 10 they were in the vicinity of Hill 63, engaged in roadmaking.  This would have been behind the Front Line, so it is possible that the bullet that hit John was one that had missed its target and reached him without much force behind it.  His wound was not listed as severe but got him to England for convalescence.

On September 17, 1917, John was transferred to the Maori Pioneer Battalion.

John joined the Battalion at the beginning of 1918 and is listed as sick just over a week after, at the end of January.  He spent a week in the local field hospital before rejoining his unit (6/2/18) but was back in hospital on April 13th.  He was in the Rouen Hospital for a few days, transferred to the hospital at Trouville, and died there of pneumonia. He is the only New Zealand soldier buried in the local military cemetery.

For some unknown reason, John in his will left all to his sister instead of his father.  His record contains a letter to the authorities from Miss Stella acknowledging receipt of his medals but wondering why she received them.


Kaka Point Urupa.


4 comments:

  1. I have a photograph of the Rakiraki Family that I found in my mothers photo album.
    My sister is going to ring the contact you had and i can send a picture via email if you want

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, that would be an amazing thing to do for John's family. lindskii@yahoo.com is my email address. Tam Scott was so hospitable when I met him and it would make his day. Don't know if they'll be doing the ceremony at the Kaka Point cenotaph this year but it would be a great thing to make it happen for this year and for years to come.

      Delete
  2. It was taken before the first world war. Probably between 1890 and 1914

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that photo i sent you useful?

    ReplyDelete