Wednesday 8 September 2021

1081 John Patrick Salter, 27/2/1876-17/12/1900.



Telegrams

The Government have received intimation that Trooper Salter (Port Chalmers), of the Fourth Contingent, who was invalided home, fell overboard from the Orient and was drowned.   -Woodville Examiners, 31/12/1900.


Mr D. A. De Maus, J.P., presided at the Port Chalmers Police Court this forenoon. Before proceeding with the business he expressed his sorrow at hearing of the death of Trooper Salter, and he was sure that he voiced the feeling of the residents. Trooper Salter had done his duty on the battlefield, and when returning home to meet his parents and friends had met with an untimely death. Sergeant Geerin endorsed the remarks of His Worship, and stated that young Salter was a most worthy citizen.   -Evening Star, 31/12/1900.


THE LATE TROOPER SALTER.

(SPECIAL to "THE PRESS.") DUNEDIN, December 31. Trooper Salter, who was lost overboard from the steamer Orient on the passage from Capetown to Albany, was well-kuown in Port Chalmers rowing circles, and was higly respected.  -Press, 1/1/1901.


DROWNING OF A NEW ZEALAND BUSHMAN.

ALBANY, January 1,

During the voyage of the Orient, Trooper Salter, of the New Zealand Bushmen, jumped overboard and was drowned, despite all efforts to save him. He had had a fall from his horse at the front which injured his brain. Three men had been told off to watch him, but he managed to evade attention.  -Southland Times, 2/1/1901.


The following are reports from the enquiry into John Salter's death, attached to his Army Record:

After 6am yesterday, 17th December I was on the companion ladder leading to the upper deck being the same means of exit to deck as hospital patients use. A man passed me dressed as follows - the trousers I believe were dark - I am absolutely certain about him having a blue hospital coat on - did not notice his boots or slippers.  By the position of one of his arms he gave me the impression that he was holding something under his upper arm.  I do not mean that I saw any parcel. The hospital coat appeared to me to be tucked in at his waist. the man passed across the deck in front of the scuttle hatch towards starboard railings. He got over these railings and held on by one hand. I thought he must be a sailor and expected him to do some work on the railings. He looked round and then let go his hold and jumped away from the ship and disappeared. I rushed to the side and saw him in water. I gave the alarm "man overboard."  The Quartermaster of the ship gave the alarm immediately afterwards. I did not notice the Quartermaster on the deck before. The man looked round him in a sharp manner, and with a wild look, before getting over the railings.  - W B Carter.


Major Alfred edward Perkins, NSW Medical Corps gave evidence as follows - on 13 December 1900 at Cape Town John Salter, a soldier was handed over to me by a Medical Officer who I believe had charge of him prior to being handed over to me, the papers relating to salter were also handed over to me at the same time. I at once went through them and found that Salter was set down as a Lunatic; he had not received any treatment except that of rest and watching.  I detailed him to a separate cabin containing two bunks, the lower of which I set apart for him, the other for one of three orderlies which I detailed at the same time for the purpose of watching him - these three orderlies so detailed were the best men I had under my command and are thoroughly trustworthy. I gave them instructions to never let Salter go out of the cabin without watching him. I prescribed for Salter and dieted him. I also saw him ten or twelve times each day. He was perfectly rational and showed no evidence of suicidal tendencies. He wassupplied with the usual hospital clothing consiosting of blue trousersand blue frock and slippers. I went my rounds at 10.30pm on Sunday and saw Salter, he was asleep in his cabin. The orderly in charge of him was in the upper bunk. On Monday the 17th December at about 6.10am I heard the cry "man overboard." I immediately went to Salter's cabin and found both he and the orderly absent. I searched about and found the orderly (Private White) who told me that Salter had gone out of the cabin to "pump slop" and had gone on the upper deck and had jumped overboard. I asked the orderly why he had accompanied Salter on to the upper deck. He, the orderly, replied that he had watched Salter go into the latrine and was waiting for his return. The latrine is on the same deck as the hospital and quite close thereto. When Salter did not return he searched about and not finding him came to the conclusion that he had made his way upstairs to upper deck and jumped overboard. I have not seen Salter since. I made a thorough search of the ship on the 17th and 18th of December and could find no trace of him.


DEATHS

SALTER. — Drowned, on 17th December, 1900, off Orient, returning from South Africa, John Patrick, beloved son of Martin and Catherine Salter, Port Chalmers; in his 24h, year. — RIP.   -Otago Daily Times, 23/2/1901.



Port Chalmers New Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment