Monday, 11 February 2019

9/1151 Gunner Robert Francis Berwick, NZFA, 23/8/1890-10/2/1919.

BERWICK.— On 10th February. 1919, at Palmerston, 9/1151 Gunner Robert Francis (6th Renforcements, N.Z.E.F.), dearly beloved husband of Mary Berwick (nee Muirhead, 32 Harbor terrace, Dunedin); in his 29th vear. Deeply regretted. 
Private interment. — A. S. Archer and Co., military funeral directors.  -Evening Star, 10/2/1919.

The Base Records Office reports that No. 20,963 Joseph John Capper, a discharged soldier, died at the Hamilton Hospital on February 10. Deceased was 42 years of age, and married, his next-of-kin being his wife, Mrs. A. Capper, 10 Kenny Street, Waihi. No. 9/ll5l Gunner Robert Francis Berwick, a discharged soldier, died at the Pleasant Valley Sanatorium on February 10, the cause of death being tuberculosis. Deceased was 28 years of age and married, his next-of-kin being his wife, Mrs. M. J. Berwick, 32 Harbour Terrace, Dunedin.  -Dominion, 15/2/1919.


The late Gunner Robert Francis Berwick, who died at Palmerston on February 10, was the third son of Mr William Berwick, of Wellington. The deceased soldier was born at Caversham and received his education at the Caversham School. He left New Zealand with the Sixth Reinforcement draft, and after three years' service was invalided home. He was well known among railway men, having been employed in the Railway Department for a number of years, but prior to enlisting he was engaged in farming operations near lnvercargill. His death will be felt by a wide circle of friends.  -Otago Daily Times, 3/3/1919.



BERWICK.—In loving memory of my dear husband (9/1151), Gunner Robert Francis Berwick, who died at Palmerston, February 10th, 1919—Inserted by his loving wife.  -Evening Star, 10/2/1921.

Robert Berwick left New Zealand in August, 1915, and served in Gallipoli and France.  He reported sick with jaundice at Gallipoli and spent some time in hoospital on Malta.

He was appointed cook in March, 1916, shortly before embarking for France and held the post until the following august.  He was then admitted to the No. 1 NZ Genral Hospital at Brockenhurst with influenza, which became bronchitis, which became tuberculosis.

He was invalided home on the HS "Marama" at the end of 1917 and sent to the TB hospital at Pleasant Valley near Palmerston, where he died.  Doctor's notes on his record stated "This patient was suffering influenza which masked the signs of phthisis (TB) in his chest."

By the time Robert's commemorative plaque and medals were sent to his next of kin in 1929, his wife Mary had remarried.

Andersons Bay Cemetery, Dunedin. DCC photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment