Tuesday 30 March 2021

Francis Brosnan, 1883-31/5/1910.

Casualties

OTIRA, June 1. A fatal accident occurred within the vicinity of the tunnel at midnight on Tuesday, the victim being Francis Brosnan, aged 27, a native of County Kerry, Ireland. He was evidently returning to his hut and was run over by a rake of the trucks, running from the tunnel to the tiphead.  -Press, 2/6/1910.


OTIRA TUNNEL ACCIDENT.

INQUEST PROCEEDINGS

An inquest was held in the Tunnel Hall, Otira, touching the death of Mark Brosnan, before M. Fitzgerald, Esq., J.P. Acting Coroner, and a jury of six, consisting of J. H. Ralph, G. O’Malley, P. W. Pope, J. McCreanor, W. R. Pope, T .E. White. 

Mr P. W. Pope was chosen foreman. 

Mr Toye watched the proceedings on behalf of the workers and deceased’s relatives. 

Constable Martin conducted the case for the Crown. 

D. A. Darling, tunnel labourer, said: I knew deceased well; saw him in Otira Hotel on May 31st at 10 minutes to 8 p.m.; deceased was suffering from a severe cold; had a fair amount of drink; heard him ask for more drink and he was refused by Mr Moynihan. Witness left the hotel at 9.15 p.m. Deceased was still there. In witness’s estimation deceased was capable of looking after himself. In reply to Mr McLean witness said in his opinion that drink was refused him because he thought that he had enough. 

Patrick Dennis Crowley, Tunnel labourer, said: I knew deceased for about three years. I have been his camp mate for about eight or nine months. Saw deceased at the camp and he complained of a bad cold; left deceased in bed in usual health otherwise. Did not see him again until I saw his body about 1.30 a.m. on June Ist.

To Mr McLean: It is between two and three months since I last saw deceased worse for liquor. 

Thomas Moynihan, barman at Otira Tunnel, said: I remember May 31st; knew deceased; saw him at the hotel at 8.30 a.m.; he said he had a bad cold, and stayed at the hotel till noon; could not say if deceased had been drinking or not. He came back against at 7 p.m.; I am not aware that he had any meals; after 7 p.m. I served him with two drinks of rum and cloves. I also gave him 2s worth of rum in a bottle; he left the hotel at twenty minutes to ten. My father went out with him and Mr O’Shea; deceased was capable of looking after himself; I never saw him again after he left the hotel.

To a juror: I consider he was in a fit state to serve with liquor; later on I refused him drink because he was a bit noisy. 

John Martin, crane driver, deposed — I knew deceased by sight; remember the night of 31st May last; I went to the hotel at 9.30 p.m. and saw deceased there; there were four men in the bar, including myself; another man arrived during my stay; deceased’s voice seemed very hoarse and he appeared to be under the influence of liquor; heard him ask for drink and was refused by Mr Thomas Moynihan and sent to Mr Denis Moynihan who sent him back again to Mr Thomas Moynihan; could not say if he eventually got any liquor; in my opinion the deceased was drunk. Saw him again between a quarter to eleven and eleven o’clock outside the co-operative stores: when I came around the corner I asked him if that was as far as he got. He said, “Yes, I am alright; I am going home shortly.” I then left him and went home. 

James O’Connor, trucker in the employ of Messrs McLean, and Sons, said; I knew him to be a steady man. Remember the night of 31st May. I went on shift at 4 o’clock. To the best of my knowledge the accident happened at a quarter to twelve. Saw nothing to attract my attention until I arrived within four chains of the tiphead where the front waggon left the track; I thought there was somebody under it, and took my lamp oft the front and looked round the truck, but could see no one; I put my lamp on the back truck and waited for the engine to come down; Bob Cantell and Farrissey arrived and I told them to make a shunt and get the waggon on; Farrissey called out to me he saw a man’s hand under the truck. A few second after we saw a man buried under the trucks; I took the engine and went away to call Andrews and sent Bob Cantell, the engine driver, to call Mr Cowan and Mr Gavin. They came down with engine and track and brought the body to the hall. 

To a juror: — I was standing on the third waggon when the truck was derailed by having struck what was afterwards proved to be deceased. 

To Mr. McLean: — I think the light on the track is sufficient. 

William Farrissey, trucker in the employ of Messrs McLean and Sons, said I knew deceased and remember the night of May 31st, I met O'Connor at ten minutes to twelve o’clock p.m. He said the front truck was off the line, and that we would have to shunt to get it on. I went and had a look and saw a man’s hand under the truck. I then called O’Connor, and in a quarter of an hour we had deceased out, but life was extinct. The body was then taken up to the hall. 

Constable Martin, stationed at Otira, said — I remember the night of the 31st May. About 12.15 a.m. I was informed that an accident had taken place at the Otira tunnel. I immediately proceeded to the scene and found that deceased had been taken to the recreation hall, I afterwards saw the body which was much knocked about; life was extinct. I might also state that, I visited the Otira Hotel at 9.30 the same night. The licensee seemed to be under the impression that it was closing up time. I saw deceased standing in the bar parlour with his back to the fire; he did not appear to be drunk, but owing to the lights being turned out I could not see if he was sober or drunk. There was only four men in the bar at the time I visited the hotel. All the rooms were in darkness except the bar parlour. There was nobody in the other rooms.

This closed the evidence and the jury retired to consider their verdict. 

VERDICT. 

On returning the jury announced the following verdict: “'That Francis Brosnan met his death accidentally and that no blame is attached to the contractors or truckers.” 

The following riders were also attached; (1). The jury recommend that notices placed in prominent positions warning people of the danger of walking on the tramline.

(2). That the deceased was in a state of intoxication during the day. The jury are of the opinion that sufficient police supervision is not being exercised in the regulation of the drink traffic in Otira and would recommend to the Minister of Justice that an extra Constable be permanently stationed at Otira.  -West Coast Times, 6/6/1910.


Temuka Cemetery, NZ.



No comments:

Post a Comment