Sunday 28 March 2021

Isabella Morton, 1867-12/7/1888.


DEATHS. 

Morton — On the I2th July, at his residence, Temuka, Ellen, third daughter of Mr John Morton, aged 16 years, after a short and painful illness; deeply regretted.   -Timaru Herald, 14/7/1885.


DEATH.

Morton.—July 12th, at Temuka, Isabella, oldest daughter of Sergeant Morton, in her 21st year. Deeply regretted.  -Timaru Herald, 14/7/1888.


Sudden Death at Temuka.

The sudden death of Miss Isabella Morton, eldest daughter of Constable Morton, police officer in charge of Temuka, on the railway platform at Temuka about mid-day yesterday, cast a deep gloom over the district. The deceased lady was but 20 years of age, and had been up to yesterday in charge of the Rangitata Island School. She stayed at the farm of Mr Robertson, and feeling unwell on Wednesday, this gentleman gave her a glass of brandy. For the rest of the day she felt better, but complaining of illness again yesterday Mr Robertson decided to accompany her home. He drove to the station, and caught the down express, and until reaching Winchester Miss Morton felt all right. At this station she asked for a glass of wine, and Mr Robertson replied that he would get one for her at Temuka. On the express reaching this town Constable Morton was in waiting, and his daughter just managed to get on to the platform and reach his arms when she expired. Dr Hayes was summoned, but his services were of no avail. The deceased lady was a remarkably clever teacher. She had been in delicate health for a long time, but until the last few days had not complained of being seriously ill. Great sympathy is expressed for her parents, and her loss will be keenly mourned by a large circle of friends. An inquest was to be held at four o’clock this afternoon.  -South Canterbury Times, 13/7/1888.


INQUEST AT TEMUKA.

An inquest was held at the Temuka Courthouse, yesterday, before C. Wray, Esq., District Coroner, touching the death of Isabella Morton. The following jury were empanelled: — Messrs K. F. Gray, Jas. Winning, W. Storey, C. Williams, E. H. Brewer, and J. Philipson. Mr K. F. Gray was chosen foreman. 

John Shaw Hayes, a duly qualified medical practitioner residing and practising at Temuka, said: I attended the deceased on several different occasions during the last three years. She was of a delicate constitution, and suffered from anaemia or thin blood. I was called to see her yesterday on arrival of the express from Christchurch. I found her in the waiting room at the railway station. Life was then extinct. I saw nothing to lead me to suppose that she died from other than natural causes. I have treated her for severe vomiting, and also for an attack of pleurisy. She had no heart disease. I think it probable that her death was caused by an embolism, that is, where a clot of blood becomes detached in circulation and causes death through embarrassment of some important organ, such as heart, brain, or lungs. I believe death to have occurred from natural causes.

The Coroner intimated that if the jury were satisfied with the medical evidence there would be no necessity for a post mortem. It would be inexpressibly painful to the parents, but if they considered it necessary it would be done.

The Foreman said the jury did not think there was any occasion for it. The evidence was then proceeded with.

Mr Robertsoh, farmer, Rangitata Island, said: I was acquainted with the deceased, who was boarding at my house for the past three weeks. She was in her usual health until Wednesday last. At about half-past two in the aftemoon she retired to her bedroom and commenced vomiting. Mrs Robertson went and stopped with her. I saw her on the following day. In consequence of what my wife told me, I drove deceased to the Rangitata Siding, and accompanied her in the express to Temuka. She did not complain. In the train at Winchester, I asked her if she felt any pain. She said, “No.” I noticed on nearing Temuka that she looked bad. I saw her drink some milk and water several times while on the journey. She vomited once or twice. When we got near Temuka I thought she was dying from the color of her face and eyes. On arrival at Temuka I could not get her to move. Her father came into the carriage. He carried her out. She was then in a dying condition. Deceased was mistress of a school about two miles distant from my house.

Mary Ann Grainger, wife of Henry Grainger, Rangitata Island, said: I knew the deceased. On Wednesday Afternoon I went across to Mrs Robertson, and found deceased in bed. She was vomitting, and appeared very ill. We applied hot bottles to her feet, and hot flannels to her body. The treatment gave her relief. She was very sick again about 12 o clock. I remained with her all night. She was craving to be sent home. I went with her in the train to Temuka. She did not complain, but wished for something to drink. I gave her some milk and water. She got worse when we were nearing Temuka. She said if she got a glass of wine at the station she would be able to walk home to her mother. On arrival at Temuka her father was awaiting her. She lay in my arms until her father took her away. When her father spoke to her she opened her eyes, but did not speak. She was carried to the waiting room. She vomited several times in the train. The worst time was when nearing Temuka. She appeared to get cold. 

John Morton, constable in charge of Temuka station, said: The deceased, Isabella Morton, was my daughter. She would have been 21 next October. She has been suffering for the past three years from loss of appetite and weakness. She had attacks of retching that required medical attendance. She had taken a holiday from last January to recruit her health. I received a telegram at 20 minutes to 12 on Thursday saying that she was coming home, and I was to have a buggy in waiting at the station. On arrival of the train I entered the compartment she as in. She was lying in Mrs Grainger’s arms, and I could see that she was dying. When I spoke to her she endeavoured to respond. I carried her into the waiting room where she breathed her last. She did not speak. Dr Hayes was in attendance about five minutes afterwards. He pronounced life to be extinct. 

This completed the evidence. The jury returned a verdict of “Death from natural causes,” and was then thanked by the Coroner for their attendance and dismissed.   -Temuka Leader, 14/7/1888.


Temuka Cemetery, NZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment