Saturday 12 June 2021

Ah Chin, 1833(?)-16/4/1883, murdered by "person or persons unknown."

The police received information last night that Ah Chin, a Chinese, had been murdered at Shingly Creek, near Roxburgh. Death was caused by a gunshot wound, and, as no weapon was found, it is not thought that the wound was self-inflicted. The following further particulars are to hand: — "Deceased and the informant Wah Kie were in a cave on the bank of the Clutha River. They were smoking opium about 7 p.m. on the 16th inst. Wah Kie fell asleep and was aroused by the report of a gun, when deceased called out "I am shot; I am dying." Footsteps were heard outside the cave, but the informant was afraid to go out for some time. On going out he saw no one. On the police visiting the scene they found deceased dead, with small shot wounds on his right breast and head. The cave was not disturbed, and money and a watch were found on the deceased's person. No motive can be assigned for the murder. An inquest will be held on Saturday."  -Evening Star, 18/4/1883.


SUPPOSED MURDER AT THE TEVIOT.

The circumstances attending the death of Ah Chin, which occurred near Shingle Creek on Monday last, appear, as far as they have been at present investigated, to indicate a case of deliberate murder. Only superficial inquiry has, however, as yet been made, and the inquest will not take place till Saturday, by which time fuller information will have been obtained. 

The scene of the occurrence is some twelve miles from Roxburgh, on the banks of the Molyneux. A small number of diggers are scattered about this district, and the deceased, a Chinaman between thirty and forty years of age, lived by himself, not far from the junction of Shingle Creek. The country about there is exceedingly rugged, and Ah Chin dwelt in a kind of cave hollowed out in the precipitous side of the gully. The first intimation of the occurrence was furnished by Wah Ki, a Chinaman, who arrived in Roxburgh, at about one o'clock on Tuesday morning. He proceeded at once to the police station, and acquainted Constable Poole with what had happened. He was then with another Chinaman, but they refused to accompany the constable back to the scene. 

It is difficult to give the particulars of Wah Ki's story, owing to his slight acquaintance with English and the strict surveillance under which he is at present kept by the police. His statement is, however, substantially as follows: — He is a digger, and is camped not far from the cave inhabited by the deceased, only a little higher up the gully. On the evening of the murder he was sitting with Ah Chin in the latter's cave, the covering of which consisted of some sacking hung over the front. Both were smoking opium presumably, and Wah Ki, according to his own statement, became drowsy and fell asleep. This was after dark. He was awakened suddenly by hearing a shot fired close at hand. Ah Chin cried out that he was shot and was dying. Wah Ki further states that he heard footsteps outside retreating. He waited for some time, then ventured out of the cave, leaving the deceased still living, and made his way to the roadside. From what can be gathered he heard the barking of a dog some little distance away, and fell in with two lads who were employed about the district rabbitting. The names of these lads, or what passed on the occasion, have not at present transpired. On Wah Ki's arrival in Roxburgh he does not seem to have sought medical assistance, although he says that he left the deceased alive, but he proceeded at once to the police. 

A post mortem examination has been made by Dr McLachlan. The deceased has gunshot wounds in the head, face, and breast, which appear to have been inflicted by a weapon discharged not more than a few yards distant. No weapon has yet been discovered. 

Wah Ki's statements appear to be made with tolerable straightforwardness, and it would be unwise at the present stage to hazard any guess as to the perpetrator of the crime. 

Detective Bain travelled up from Dunedin yesterday, and remains at Roxburgh to conduct the necessary investigations. 

The deceased's gold watch and some money were found in his possession, so that it seems unlikely that the deed could have been committed for the purpose of robbery, unless the perpetrator was alarmed at discovering that Ah Chin was not alone in the cave. The hour at which the affair took place seems also to render it very unlikely that it was accidental. — ' Daily Times' telegram.  -Evening Star, 19/4/1883.


THE MURDER AT TEVIOT.

(By Telegraph.)

(from our own reporter.) Roxburgh, April 19th,

As yet there is nothing fresh to communicate regarding the death of Ah Chin. The police have been occupied during the morning in taking the statement of Wah Ki, who was in the cave at the time of the occurrence. I am proceeding to tha scene of the murder, and it is possible that some fresh information may be gathered from rabbiters about the spot. It seems at present very difficult to direct suspicion to any particular person. There is little cause to discredit the statement of Wah Ki, who must have made his way with some difficulty and danger down the face of the rocks to bring the news into Roxburgh. The probability is that the deed was committed by some rabbiters or lads in the district, who may have fired into the cave as an act of wanton mischief or for purposes of robbery. The inquest will not commence until 4 o'clock on Saturday, and it is most likely that a further adjournment will be necessary.

Later. Unless some additional evidence is obtained between this and the inquest, there seems little chance of Ah Chin's murder being sheeted home to any particular individual. A visit to the spot where the occurrence took place is a somewhat arduous undertaking, but the result certainly rewards the trouble taken. The cave where Ah Chin lived and met his death is situated in the midst of scenery as wild and picturesque as can well be imagined. The Molyneux here runs for many miles through a deep gorge, the sides of which rise like the rocky walls of a precipice to a height of many hundreds of feet. Following a downward track, which winds among the enormous boulders of which the incline is composed, the Chinaman's quarters are reached. Some considerable distance above the river, the hollow beneath a huge overhanging rock has been built in with shingle and quartz in such a manner as to form a low cavern some 14ft deep, with a very narrow entrance. The shortest man could not stand upright in this habitation; but it is nevertheless stocked with every necessary, and provision is also made for comfort in some degree. On a broad slab of rock in the far corner, forming the bunk, Ah Chin was lying when shot, and to cover him whilst in this position it would seem to have been necessary for the murderer to insert the muzzle of his gun actually into the entrance of the cave at the side of the matting which hung in front. The shot might possibly have been fired from the ledge of rock, a few feet away, but in that case it would have had to pass through the matting, which shows no signs of shot-holes. Wah Ki declares that after the shot, hearing footsteps outside, he was afraid to venture out, and eventually made his way up to the road by an almost impracticable path along the rocks. The gun used for the deed must in any case have been an exceedingly common one for the shot to spread as they have done in the short distance at which it was discharged. The cave inhabited by Wah Ki is situated some mile or so higher up the stream, in an equally wild spot. Before reaching it it is necessary to cross Shingle Creek, which rushes down the rocks in a series of cascades to join the Molyneux. Wah Ki's domicile is similarly fitted up in every respect. A search has of course been made in both caves, but nothing of importance has been discovered. An empty powder-flask and the lid of a cap-box were, I have reason to believe, found in Wah Ki's cave, also a few roughlycast bullets. No gun has, however, been found, and Wah Ki states that he never had one. A couple of lads named Parker, engaged in rabbiting, are the nearest (next to Wah Ki) to the scene of the murder, but these have also no gun in their possession. About an ounce of gold was found in the possession of the doceased, but his mining implements are, strange to say, not at his cave. It is further rumoured that some complaints had been made by Ah Chin as to some of his tools having been stolen shortly before his death. There is so far, however, nothing but the vaguest suspicion as to the actual murderer.  -Otago Daily Times, 20/4/1883.


A "Chinese cave dwelling" on the side of the Clutha River, near Alexandra.  Not the scene of Ah Chin's murder but a good example of what can still be found in Central Otago.  The description of Ah Chin's cave as being "some considerable distance above the river" means that it may be above the level of Lake Roxburgh.   Hocken Library photo.


THE MURDER AT TEVIOT.

[Bu Telegbaph,] (FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT.)

Roxburgh, April 23rd,

The inquest on the murdered man Ah Chin was resumed at the Courthouse at 10 o'clock this morning. Wong Gye was sworn in as an interpreter.

Ah Hee, storekeeper, Roxburgh, deposed: I knew the deceased Ah Chin for about 20 years. He has resided in this district about six or seven years. He was a miner, and lived on the bank of the Clutha River. I last saw him alive about six or seven weeks ago, and about every two months he came to Roxburgh for "tucker." It was thus I saw him last. He waa a very quiet man to my knowledge. He has a nephew at Christchurch, and other more distant relatives here. He was always on good terms with his people. He always dealt with me. The deceased is indebted to me £16 or over. He sometimes sold his gold at the bank or Mr Mackay's. I don't know what quantities of gold he sold. The last time I saw him he paid me £5. He appeared to be on good terms with Europeans. I know Wah Ki. He was friendly to the deceased. I have known Wah Ki about 15 years in this Colony and in this district. I think Ah Chin was over 50 years of age, a native of Canton, in China, and a single man. 

William Charles Hodges, private tutor to Mr McLoughlin, Shingle Creek, deposed: I knew deceased Ah Chin for the last six or seven years at Fourteen-mile Beach. I last saw him alive on Monday last, l6th inst., at Mr McLoughlin's house at Shingle Creek, between 1 and 2 o'clock. He was then in company with Wah Ki, and left, going down the road with him. Deceased was a miner, working on the banks of the river. He lived about one mile and a-half from McLoughlin's. For the last three months he has lived alone in a cave. There are three or four other Chinamen digging near him. They also live in caves. He lived on good terms with his countrymen and Europeans. The deceased and Wah Ki appeared to be friendly with each other. I don't know whether Wah Ki had any firearms. He spoke once to me about firearms. That was last Monday, when he asked me if I had my gun with me. I replied I had. 

By a Juryman: Wah Ki has had no chance of getting hold of my gun. At the time he asked me the question I was outside of McLoughlin's house, and my gun was in my bedroom. The deceased and Wah Ki came to McLoughlin's to buy fowls. 

Wah Ki, miner, Twelve-mile Beach: I knew deceased, Ah Chin, for 14 or 15 years. He was not a relative, but a friend. I lived about one mile distant from his cave. I was not a mate of his. We had separate claims. I was his nearest neighbour. Toong Chung resides at Fourteen-mile Beach, about three miles distant from deceased's cave. I was with Ah Chin on Monday last. Ah Chin came to my place about 9 o'clock in the morning, and told me he had lost his mining tools, and asked me to come with him and make inquiry about his loss. We went up the range to look for them. We could not find them. We met Mr Quayle, who resides about three miles from Ah Chin's cave. I said nothing to Mr Quayle about the loss of the tools, but asked him how he was getting on. We went up the gully, and Ah Chin bought a duck from a European. We went then where we saw the last witness, and I asked him how he was getting on — that's all; and then asked the owner of the house if he had any fowls for sale, but he had none. From McLoughlin's we went to Ah Chin's cave, and arrived about 1 o'clock in the alternoon. We killed the duck, cooked and ate it, and then we had some Chinese spirits. We drank together half a Chinese basin — that is, about a tumblerful between us. We also had some tea. After that I felt giddy, and went to bed. I left Ah Chin smoking opium on his bunk. We were both on the same bunk. Our heads were towards the door of the cave. I was nearest the door. There was a box behind my head. I fell asleep. I was awoke by a gun shooting. Then Ah Chin screamed, "A gun shoot me!" and I saw his face bleeding. I then asked Ah Chin where the shot came from. He replied, "From the door." He then said, "I die, I die!" I then peeped outside of the door of the cave, but saw no one there. I went outside, but did not see or hear anything. Before I went I heard a noise which I thought to be the footsteps of a man. I thiuk it was about 7 o'clock when I awoke. There was a light burning in the cave. I went back into the cave, and asked Ah Chin if he was in danger. Ah Chin said, "I am afraid I die." Then I said, "Can I go to Roxburgh, to tell your cousin and report it to the police?" Ah Chin said, "All right." Then I left Ah Chin to go to Roxburgh. Ah Chin was alive when I left him. I heard dogs barking up the hill as I left; it was moonlight. I could not tell the distance they were from me; it was a good way off. I reached the Chinese garden, Roxburgh, about 11 o'clock. I told Ah Chin's cousin — Kang Gon — all about it. We then went to Ah Hue's place before going to the police. This was about 12 o'clock. The distance is about 11 miles from Ah Chin's to the police-station. I did not go back; I was too tired. I saw no person about Ah Chin's cave that day. I never saw him quarrel with anyone. Ah Chin lay higher on the bunk than I did; and there was a box at my head. That is how I account for my escape in the shot from the door, although Ah Chin was inside. There were no firearms in the cave at this time. I had no firearms in my cave, or in my possession. Lin Chun left the cave when I went into it. It was empty when I went into it. I know Lin Chun well. I was acquainted with him for about two months before I took possession of his cave. Lin Chun had a gun. He used to go rabbiting with it. He took it with him to Christchurch.

By the Foreman: I did not try to stop the bleeding. We were both lying one way, with our heads towards the door.

Constable Poole, in his evidence, stated that deceased was quite dead and stiff when he arrived at the scene of the murder. He then gave a description of the cave and property found at the time. There was 14s in silver, 1oz 5dwt of gold, and a silver watch. 

Hugh Kennedy Maclachlan: I am a legally qualified medical practitioner, residing at Roxburgh. I made a post-mortem examination on the body of deceased on Wednesday last. I paid attention to the clothing on the body. On the upper part of his body he had a waistcoat and two shirts, which were perforated with shot. All over the right breast, cheek, and head I found numorous perforations. The second rib was broken, and the third rib splintered. I found the perforations as if produced by small shot discharged from some firearm. The fractured rib was caused by the shot. The whole of the muscular tissue over the right breast was reduced to a kind of pulp, and many of the pellets had perforated the cavity of the thorax. I also found the right cavity to be full of blood. I took about 20 shot from it. The wound on the breast, and especially the internal hemorrhage, was necessarily fatal. Deceased was a small, spare man, and organically healthy. I am of opinion that the deceased could not have survived such a wound more than one hour under any circumstances. He evidently survived about that time, for the whole body was drained of blood. The cause of death was internal hemorrhage, resulting from a gunshot wound in his right breast and lung. I have had experience in gunshot wounds, and I believe that the firearm that discharged the shot must have been fired at a short distance, say, four or five yards distance at the most. I found no other wounds or bruises. 

By a Juror: The person firing must have been in front of him. If his head had been lying towards the door the shot must have come from the inside of the cave. 

James Mackay, merchant, Roxburgh: I have known the deceased Ah Chin for the last seven years. He has been in the habit of selling gold to me in quantities of not more than one ounce at a time. I saw him last about six weeks ago. 

The Jury, after a few minutes' retirement, returned the following verdict: — "That a certain person named Ah Chin was murdered by some person or persons unknown."  -Otago Daily Times, 24/4/1883.


ROXBURGH

(From a correspondant)

The Murder Case. The police have got no clue as yet to the murdurer of Ah Chin, although they have been indefatigable in their exertions.  -Otago Witness, 5/5/1883.


TELEGRAPHIC

ROXBURGH, August 14.

Ah Quee, a cousin of Ah Chin, who was murdered at Shingle Creek four or five months ago, and who had been in a desponding state of mind ever since the death of his relative, committed suicide here at seven o’clock this morning by drowning himself. He was to have been taken to Dunedin to-day on account of his unusual and peculiar action of late, but while his mate was preparing breakfast for him he went outside, sallied down to the river (a distance of twenty yards or so), took off his hat, boots, and coat, and jumped off a projecting ledge of rock into the river. The current at this point is very strong, and he must have immediately been carried out into mid-stream and down the river, as the spot has been dragged without discovering any signs of the body. He seemed never to have recovered from the shock occasioned by the death of his relative.

Rain fell heavily here all last night, as it has evidently done further up-country, as the river is rising rapidly.  -Evening Star, 14/8/1883.

The murderer of Ah Chin was never caught. I do not know, as yet, where his remains were buried.  They might be in the Roxburgh Cemetery or they might have been, as was the custom, buried and then his bones exhumed and sent to his home village in Canton so that his spirit could rest amongst those of his people.



No comments:

Post a Comment