Wednesday 9 June 2021

The Hayes family - murder and suicide in Great King Street, 7/2/1880.

MURDER AND SUICIDE.

The quietness of lower King street was startled early this morning by screams of “murder” proceeding from a cottage in that street, between Union and St. David streets, and occupied by a family named Hayes. The neighbors, whose attention was directed to the spot, were horrified on learning from the man who was raising the alarm that a murder had just been committed in that house by Mr Hayes, senior, and they had hardly heard that when they were further horrified with the intelligence that Mr Hayes had put an end to his own life. The news spread like wild fire over the northern end of the City; and from seven o’clock till an advanced period of the day there have been congregated in front of the home little knots of people discussing such details of the unfortunate affair as they could gather from the neighbors, and endeavoring to account for the motive that prompted it. 

Lincoln Cottage, the name of the dwelling occupied by the Hayes family, contains six rooms, the principal of which are situated on the ground floor. One of the front rooms — that on the right of the passage — is used as a parlor; and immediately facing it is the bedroom of Mr and Mrs Hayes. The other members of the family who live on the premises are Miss Hayes, aged seventeen, and her brother, aged ten. During the past two months there has boarded with the family Mr Emanuel Trenwick, clerk at Gregg and Co., coffee merchants, Princes street. The inmates of the house retired to rest at their usual hour last night, and Mr Trenwick assures our reporter that Mr and Mrs Hayes appeared then to be on the best of terms; indeed, during his residence with them he observed nothing to lead him to doubt that the Hayes were, as the neighbors and friends of the family agree in declaring, a very happy and united family. 

It was close on six o'clock this morning when the lodger Trenwick was awoke by hearing screams proceeding from Mrs Hayes’s bedroom. He hastily donned part of his clothing and ran to the bedroom. On opening the door he found Mrs Hayes seated on the bed with her throat terribly cut, the blood pouring down her night-dress. She was breathing, but very hard. Mr Hayes was seated on a chair in front of a looking glass, and in the act of drawing across his throat the razor he held in his hand. Trenwick, who saw there was a slight cut on Hayes’s throat, from which the blood was beginning to flow, closed with him, and called on Miss Hayes and young Hayes to come up and assist him in preventing their father from doing further mischief to himself. Trenwick, after a hard struggle, during which he got one of his hands slightly cut, managed, with the assistance of the boy (who has a nasty cut on one hand) to throw Mr Hayes on to the floor, and took the razor from him. Thinking that Mr Hayes would not renew his attempt, and that his wife’s condition was such as to require immediate attention, he ran into the street, half dressed and bleeding as he was, and raised an alarm by crying “murder” at the pitch of his voice. Among the first to hear him was Mr Gilks, a dairyman, who lives in the first house to the north of Hayes’s. Gilks left off milking his cows, and on learning from Trenwick how matters stood inside the house he entered it, and found Mr Hayes standing in the passage with only his shirt and trousers on. He noticed that Hayes had a cut in his throat, from which blood was flowing, but it did appear to be severe. Gilks had armed himself with, a stick and was about to use it, when Mr Hayes exclaimed “You may put the stick down,” and added “I did that,” pointing to his windpipe. The reappearance at that moment of Trenwick, however, appeared to affect Mr Hayes very much, as he immediately became very violent — so much so indeed that it taxed the strength of Gilks and a hospital warder to prevent his seizing Trenwick, at whom he levelled such remarks as “That is the vagabond who has caused the whole thing” and “The vagabond; I took him in as a boarder, and he has done it all.” Seeing how much his presence disturbed Mr Hayes, Trenwick went back to his own room, changed his clothes, and started off to call in medical aid and to give information at the North Dunedin Police Station of what had occurred. Gilks then looked into the bedroom, and, thinking that Mrs Hayes required female attendance, he ran into his own house for his wife, and to get further assistance, as Hayes wanted all the watching they could obtain. He was not gone more than a couple of minutes, but on his return he found that Mr Hayes had in the meantime left the passage, gone into the kitchen at the end of the passage and there seized a carving knife, with which he had inflicted such a frightful wound in his throat that it caused his death five minutes afterwards. Trenwick, after calling at the police station, went to the residence of Drs Niven, Blair, and Maunsell. The first to arrive was Dr Niven, closely followed by Dr Blair, but Mr Hayes was dead before they reached the house. Mrs Hayes must have expired before Gilks appeared on the scene. 

Trenwick informed the police and our reporter that he and the late Mr Hayes had always been on the most friendly terms — a statement that is corroborated by the surviving members of the family  and that he is utterly at a loss to account for the sudden outburst of rage on Mr Hayes’s part. 

James M. Fountain, a warder at the Hospital, informs us that he was proceeding home from his duties at about six this morning, and when near Mr Hayes’s house he saw standing at the gate a man, who was covered with blood and calling out “murder.” They went into the house together, and his companion (Trenwick, of course) went into the bedroom and pushed Mr Hayes out of it. After taking the razor from him Trenwick left the house in search of a doctor, and Gilks also went away. Mr Hayes immediately went into the kitchen and took up a small knife, which Fountain succeeded in taking away from him after a slight struggle. Hayes, however, continued to struggle, and eventually freed himself from Fountain’s grasp. To run round the table, and to catch up a carving knife that lay on the dresser, was the work of a moment. This knife he fairly stuck into his throat, inflicting a terrible and gaping wound; and in a couple of minutes he lay on the floor a corpse. Fountain adds that when he first saw Hayes he was trying to work his fingers into a small wound in his throat, in order to extend it, and saying “I did this.”

Dr Blair states that he was called shortly after six o’clock, and that on arriving on the house he found Dr Niven there. The woman was lying in her bed, with her throat cut on the left side and a pool of blood about her. The man was lying in the kitchen on his side, with his throat cut right across. There was blood on the mirror in the bedroom, but, strange to say, little or none in the passage. This the doctor accounted for by Hayes having only slightly wounded himself in the bedroom.

The Hayes have lived in King street for about three months and have been the quietest of neighbors. It appears that Mrs Hayes has been twice married. By her first husband she had three daughters, all of them are married, two living on the West Coat and the third in Dunedin. By Hayes she had a large family. In addition to those mentioned above, there are Basil, the eldest, who carries on business as a stationer at Oamaru, having previously been manager there for Mr G. T. Clarke, and the two next sons, who have unfortunately given indications of the mental aberration from which we fear there is but good reason to believe the tragedy of to-day results. The younger of them, Morris, aged 18, who was in the employ of Mr J. C. Meadway, law stationer, Manse street, was for a short time an inmate of the Lunatic Asylum, having been released there from about six weeks ago. He is now, we believe, at Westport. The second son, Attiwell, for ten years had been in the employ of Mr R. T. Wheeler, Stafford street, and had shown surprising business qualifications for one so young. He became an inmate of the Lunatic Asylum since the middle of December. Mr Hayes has for years been engaged on small works in Dunedin, and latterly had undertaken a few contracts himself. He, like a good many others, has very recently felt the hardness of the times; and the want of employment and the illnesses which have overtaken his sons have, without doubt, preyed on his mind, till its balance has been destroyed. For some years now he has been a rigid teetotaller, and has been connected with the Rechabites and Good Templars, having held offices in both Orders. His friends speak of him as having been very much attached to his family. Some absurd rumours as to the mental condition of the younger members of the family are current, but they have not the slightest foundation. An inquest will be held on Monday.  -Evening Star, 7/2/1880.


1. House in which Roberts, a horse-dealer, committed suicide. 

2. Jackson's house, in which a child was burned to death. 

3. O'Brien's house, in which two children were burned to death. 

4. Lincoln Cottage, in which the Hayes murder and suicide occurred. 

6. Grant's cottage — scene of yesterday's tragedy.  -Evening Star, 15/3/1880.



THE KING STREET MURDER.

The Coroner's inquest on the bodies of Attiwell and Amelia Emma Hayes was held in the Caledonia Hotel at noon to-day, before the City Coroner and a jury of twelve, of whom Mr Peter Gibson was chosen foreman. Inspector Mallard watched the proceedings on behalf of the police. 

The Coroner said that he need hardly tell the jury that they were summoned to inquire into the cause of death of Attiwell Hayes and of his wife, Emma Hayes. He thought the evidence would show that the deceased Mrs Hayes died from a wound inflicted by her husband; and also that Hayes afterwards killed himself by cutting his throat. The chief thing for the jury to consider was the state of mind of Attiwell Hayes at the time of the act — to discover if possible whether he was in the full possession of hh mental faculties.

Basil William Hayes deposed: — The deceased were my parents. My father's full name was Attiwell Hayes, and my mother's was Amelia Emma Hayes. My father's age at the time of his death was forty nine. He was a native of County Cork, Ireland. He followed the occupation of a contractor, and was a Protestant by religious persuasion. My mother's age was 51. She was also a native of County Cork, and a Protestant. I know nothing of the circumstances connected with their deaths. I live at Oamaru. I last saw my parents on the 20th December last. They were both in good health, except perhaps that my father seemed a little desponding. From the letters I received I gathered that this despondency was increasing, though the writing was that of a rational man. There was abundant cause for despondency in the state of the health of his children. I last heard from my father about three weeks ago. 

Emanuel Trenwick said: I am a clerk in the employ of Gregg and Co. I resided with the deceased for the last two months. On Saturday morning last, February 7, I was aroused by hearing screams. I immediately ran into the front room where Mr and Mrs Hayes slept. When I got into the room I saw Mr Hayes endeavoring to cut his throat with a razor. I struggled with him and wrested the razor from his hand. It fell on the ground and the little boy, Robert, his son, came in and went off with it. I then rushed into the street and shouted "Murder!" I was so excited at the time that I did not notice whether he said anything or not. Mrs Hayes was sitting on the side of the bed in her night-dress, covered with blood which proceeded from a wound in the throat. She said to me "Trenwith, he has killed me; Trenwith, he has murdered me." This is all I can remember her saying. After I cried out "Murder" two men came to me, Gilks and Fountain, and we entered the house together. Hayes was still in the bedroom when I returned with the two men, and he said to them, pointing at me, "That's the man who is the cause of it all." I do not know anything of the condition of Mrs Hayes. I left Hayes with Gilks and Fountain and went to fetch Dr Blair. On my return I found both Mr and Mrs Hayes dead. I have no doubt that Hayes cut his wife's' throat and his own. I am quite convinced that his mind was deranged at the time. We were as good friends as any two human beings could be the night before. I have known him intimately for some six or eight months, and his mental condition was not such as to lead anyone to suppose that he was out of his mind. He appeared now and again rather melancholy about the condition of his sons. He was on friendly terms with his wife, and I am certain that the murder was committed during a fit of temporary insanity.

To the Jury: There was no foundation for his utterance respecting my being the cause of it all. There has never been anything previously to justify such a remark, and the only way that I can account for it is by my having stopped him from killing himself. 

James Montagu Fountain deposed: I am a night warder at the Hospital. About six o'clock on Saturday morning I saw a man in Great King street, opposite Hayes's house, calling out "Murder." He asked me to hurry up, for God's sake, as a man was murdered in the house. I noticed that he was besmeared with blood. However, I went in with him, but did not go into the bedroom. I stood in the passage while Trenwith went in. The door was shut, so that I could not see what was going on inside the room. Shortly after the door was opened, and deceased's shoulder and arm appeared in the doorway, and I caught hold of him and dragged him out. There was a wound on the left side of his neck, and his clothes were saturated with blood. The deceased did not recognise me. Gilks at this time came up with a club of wood and spoke to the deceased who did not answer, but turned round on Trenwith, and said something which I could not catch. When Gilks came up he wanted to strike the deceased, but this I would not allow. Trenwith then said knock his brains out. Deceased put his finger in the wound and asked "Did I do this?" He broke away from me and rushed into the kitchen, whither I followed him. He seized a small desert knife from off the table and tried to use it upon himself. I prevented him in his attempt, and he again wrenched himself free. He secured the carving-knife, which was on the shelf between some plates, and before I could prevent him he thrust it into the right side of his throat. He threw the knife away, and died a couple of minutes afterwards. Gilks and Trenwith were not with him during the scuffle I had with Hayes; thus it was that I had such difficulty with him.

To the Jury: Whilst I was standing in the passage I heard some talking going on inside the bedroom, and a scuffling of feet. I did not try to force open the door, as it was snicked. 

The Coroner: Why did you not dash in the room at once? It seems to me that that would be the first thing a man would do. 

Witness: I did not know what to do at the time. 

John Gilks said: I went into the house on Saturday morning with the boarder, the warder, and my son. I was the last to go in, waiting to get a stick, as I wished to be cautious. I met Mr Hayes in the passage. He said "You want no stick, Gilks" By that he meant I need not guard myself, so I threw the stick down. Hayes said to the boarder, "You vagabond, I took you in and boarded and fed you, and this is all through you." He then said, putting his finger to the wound, "Did I do this myself?" The boarder said "You did do it," and went away. I went away to fetch my wife, and when I returned Hayes was in the kitchen with his throat cut. I have known the deceased for the last six weeks. He always seemed quite well and cheerful. 

By the Jury: The boarder never told me to use my stick and knock Hayes's brains out. I heard no conversation between the warder and the boarder.

John Duncan Niven, duly qualified medical practitioner, residing in Dunedin, deposed: At about a quarter past six o'clock on the morning of the 7th inst. I was called in a great hurry by a man and a boy to come to Lincoln Cottage, where I was told a murder had been committed. I followed immediately, and in the front bedroom found the deceased Mrs Hayes lying diagonally across the bed, with her head on the left side, and in a large pool of blood. She was quite dead. On turning the head round I discovered an incised wound, which on examination proved to be three inches and three quarters in length. I then went into the kitchen, where I was told the deceased man was lying. I found him on the floor with his throat cut. The wound was four inches in length. There had evidently been two attempts made at cutting his throat. The wound on the woman had all the appearance of a suicidal wound from its indication and position, but could have been done by another person at the back of the bed. There were no other wounds on the woman, and I am of opinion that she was unconscious at the time the injury was inflicted. 

Thomas Low deposed that deceased had been working on and off for the Public Works Department for the last two years. He was in deceased's company the whole of Thursday, and the latter seemed quite rational. Witness had never seen anything indicating mental aberration on the deceased's part. 

The Coroner here said that though it was a painful matter he had found it necessary to have Miss Hayes in attendance.

Mr Stout: The girl is in such a nervous state that it would be simply doing her an injury to have her brought here. Perhaps you, Mr Coroner, and the jury might consider whether there is any need for calling her at present. 

A Juror: I think it would be a great mistake to do so. Her evidence should be dispensed with, if possible. 

The Foreman said that although he would be delicate about bringing Miss Hayes there, he thought there were matters that she should be asked about.

The Coroner: I may say at once that while fully appreciating all Mr Stout says, and being as desirous as anyone of not injuring the girl's health, I should not be doing my duty if I were to dispense with her evidence.

Mr Stout: In her present state of health it would affect her physically and otherwise, and I don't think the witness should be asked to run such a risk as that.

The Coroner: I shall have the girl brought here now, at any rate, and judge whether it is advisable to adjourn the inquiry. But I consider it quite important — and especially important to Mr Trenwith — that his statement should be corroborated. 

Mr Stout said that he was not appearing on behalf of Mr Trenwith.

Emma Hayes, having been sent for, deposed: The deceased were my parents. I woke about six o'clock on Saturday morning. I heard mother's screams and father talking. On going into the bedroom I saw mother sitting up in the bed with blood about her. Father was in the room standing by the bed, being held by Mr Trenwith. Mother said to Mr Trenwith that father had killed her and that he might kill himself, or words to that effect. I don't recollect father saying anything. I went to my mother, but could not do anything. I know no reason for this conduct. My parents had always been on very good terms. 

Alfred Brunton, minister of the Gospel living in Dunedin, deposed that he had known the deceased, Mr Hayes, for twelve years and his wife for a much longer time. He knew nothing of the circumstances of this murder, but for some months past, had seen a very remarkable change in Mr Hayes. He had been on very intimate terms with him for five years, and especially during the past three weeks or a month had noticed a grievous and increasing melancholy coming over him. He thought so badly of Mr Hayes that on Friday night he told an intimate friend of his that he wanted looking after or he did not know what would become of him.

The Coroner said that this was all the evidence. He thought the jury would have no doubt that the deaths of the deceased resulted from the wounds inflicted upon their throats; and also that they were inflicted by the deceased Attiwell Hayes, though that was not quite clear until he called the daughter. He thought it was quite necessary — however painful it might be — to have her called. If they concluded that they would be called upon to pass an opinion as to the mental condition of Attiwell Hayes. If they believed Mr Brunton's evidence they would have no hesitation in concluding that his mind had been in a disordered condition for some time past, and that his melancholy had increased to such a degree that he could not easily put with it any longer, and that it had eventuated in the present lamentable occurrence. 

Mr McLaren, son-in-law of the deceased, here made a statement corroborating that of Mr Brunton.

The jury found that the deceased Attiwell Hayes had killed his wife, and then committed suicide, while in a fit of temporary insanity.   -Evening Star, 9/2/1880.


Northern Cemetery, Dunedin.


No comments:

Post a Comment