Monday 18 November 2019

Annie Crawford, 1866(?)-8/3/1891.



FATAL ACCIDENT.
[Per Press Association.] TIMARU, March 9. 
A shocking fatal accident occurred on the Opihi bridge last night. Mr Sagg, mate of the barque Bells, and another sailor took two ladies for a drive in a buggy to Winchester. One was a daughter of Sergeant-major Mason, the other Miss Annie Crawford, a music teacher, on a visit to Sergeant-major Mason from Lyttelton, where her mother has a restaurant. On the return journey, near the Opihi bridge, about 9.30 p.m., when it was dark, for some reason both men got out, and the horse bolted. Miss Crawford jumped out on the bridge, and, falling on her head, fractured her skull. The men following carried her to the Arowhenua Hotel. Dr Blundell was brought, but she died in a few hours. Miss Mason remained in the buggy unharmed, as the horse stopped after crossing the bridge. An inquest will be held this afternoon.  -Star, 9/3/18912.

DISTRESSING FATAL ACCIDENT.
On Sunday evening, shortly after eight o’clock, an accident occurred on the Opihi bridge, Temuka, which resulted in the death of a young lady named Annie Crawford, whose relatives reside in Lyttelton, but she has lately been staying in Timaru with some friends. The accident, which occurred under the circumstances detailed below, caused a painful sensation, and the utmost sympathy is felt for Mrs Crawford, the sole surviving parent, and with her friends.
THE INQUEST. The inquest was held at the Arowhenua Hotel before C. A. Wray, Esq., the Coroner, on Monday afternoon. The following jury were empanelled:— Messrs A. W, Gaze, P. Coira, G. Mason, G, McS. Gentlemun, I. Greaves, and P. Power. Mr Gaze was chosen foreman. The jury having viewed the body the following evidence was taken:—
Charles Albert Sagg, sworn, said. I am second officer of the barque Bells, now lying in Timaru. On Sunday afternoon last engaged a buggy at King’s stables to drive a party to Winchester. I took the deceased, Annie Crawford, Amy Mason, and Frank Rudd. I was driving. We went to Winchester, arriving there at four o’clock. We had tea and left at twenty minutes past seven. It was then dusk. The lamps were lit. Deceased occupied the front seat with me. Going out the horse shied at some sheep. On returning the horse seemed very nervous. All went well till we reached the Opihi bridge, which is very long. He shied at a white post an the north end of the bridge. He backed and then started to go on to the bridge. I reined him in, and told Frank Rudd to get out and take hold of his head. He did so, and led him on to the bridge. After we had gone about 100 yards on to the bridge we met a gentleman and two ladies in white walking. Rudd still had hold of the horse, which shied again. The gentleman told Rudd to get in, and he led the horse by the head for about 20 yards, coaxing and soothing him. The horse seemed to be going quietly at a walking pace, and he left it. After going about half-way across the bridge we met two horsemen. I called to them, and asked them to stop, the horse getting fidgety. I jumped out, and took him by the head, holding the reins gathered up in my right hand. As I went towards his head I took him by the bit with my left hand, trying to soothe him. The horse was backing towards the side of the bridge and prancing. The other three were in the trap. On getting him by the head I told the horsemen to pass. When they started their horses he shied again, whereupon Miss Crawford screamed. The horse plunged forward, and threw me down by the side of the bridge; I lost my hold of the bit, and the horse broke away and galloped off. I called to those in the buggy to sit still. When the horse struck me I was not able to hold on. The next thing I saw was that Miss Crawford had sprang out of the trap about fifteen yards off. I ran towards her at once, she was lying on her back about two yards from the side of the bridge. She was unconscious. I felt to see if any bones were broken, and finding nothing about the body I passed my bands over the head. There was a cut at the back bleeding very slightly. I picked her up, and called to the horsemen, who had to ride for a doctor. The trap had gone out of sight. Frank Rudd came to me on the bridge just after I discovered deceased, and helped me to carry her to the Arowhenua Hotel. Upon arrival I bathed her head with water and whiskey, and attended to her until the doctor’s arrival. When I got out I was going to lead the horse until off the bridge on account of deceased being so nervous. I have driven before several time — once for two months daily. The horse seemed startled at the noise made by the horsemen approaching him, and stopped and commenced backing. He did not not back the trap against the side. I did not like to ask Miss Crawford to hold the reins as she was se nervous. I did not ask Rudd to get out as I thought I was stronger and more able to cope with the horse than he was. Deceased was slightly lame. She jumped from the near side over the wheel, but would not strike the side of the bridge. 
Francis Richard Rudd; I am an apprentice on the barque Bells now lying in Timaru. On Sunday last went with the last witness and party to Winchester in a buggy. Nothing occurred going out. We started on our return a little after seven o’clock. When we came to the Opihi bridge the horse got fidgety. I got out and led him a little way — about 100 yards. We met some people coming across the bridge. One of them told me to get in, and he led the horse a few yards. He seemed to be going all right then, and the party left us. When we got about half-way across two men on horseback coming towards us startled the horse, which backed and began jibbing about. Mr Sagg jumped out and took hold of the horse’s head. I followed to get hold of the reins, which Mr Sagg had in his right hand. Just as I got on the step to get out the horse pulled away from Mr Sagg, and as the horse plunged forward. I jumped on to the bridge. Mr Sagg fell down, and the horse got away with the two ladies. As the horse started Miss Crawford screamed and jumped out before the trap had gone for 10 yards. I saw her spring over the wheel with her head towards the ground. I did not see her dress or any part of her catch on the wheel. I went up towards her. I found that Mr Sagg had picked her up. Her head was bleeding. I helped him to carry her to the hotel. The horsemen had gone past when the accident happened. Could not say what frightened the horse. 
William Blunden, medical practitioner, residing at Temuka, said: On Sunday evening, shortly before nine o’clock, I was called to attend an accident at the Arowhenua hotel. I found the deceased lying on her face with the symptoms of severe collapse from concussion and compression of the brain. There was a considerable quantity of blood mixed with frothy mucous coming from her mouth and nose. There was a scalp wound on the upper and back part of the right side of her head. This in itself was not serious. It had not bled much, and though in one part it extended to the bone, there was no evidence of fracture at that place. I dressed this wound and then had her carried upstairs, undressed, and placed in bed. She seemed very weak and much exhausted, but rallied somewhat on being placed in bed. She gradually got weaker and expired about half-past eleven o’clock. There was a skin wound on the front of the left leg about 8 inches long. I attribute her death to the contusion of the brain substance with most likely a fracture of the base of the skull consequent on the heavy fall on the back of her head. She was a very heavy woman, probably 11st, and seemed about 25 years of age.
The jury returned a verdict of  “Accidental Death."  -Temuka Leader, 10/3/1891.
Timaru Cemetery.







No comments:

Post a Comment