Monday 18 November 2019

Gunner John Wallace, (?)-24/5/1877.

In making my way through Timaru Cemetery I happened upon a barely legible epitaph, but one which had enough words still clear to make me curious.  "from...received...royal salute...on the Queen's birthday 24 May 1877."

It was enough for curiosity and certainly enough for "Papers Past" to supply the details.



Frightful Accident. 

Timaru, May 25 — In firing the Royal salute to-day a gunner named Wallis, of the Timaru Artillery, loaded the gun, and when the order to fire was given he forgot he had loaded it and made as if to load it again. The firing gunner did not see him and pulled the lanyard. The gun was fired and blew Wallis' arm off, severely injuring the right side of his head as well. He now lies in the hospital, and there is little hope of his recovery. 

Timaru, May 25. — Wallace died this morning. An inquest will be held this afternoon.  -Evening Star, 25/5/1877. 


INQUEST.
Yesterday afternoon, at 4 o'clock, an inquest was held at the Hospital before E. Wakefield, Esq., J.P.. acting as coroner, touching the death of John Wallace, a gunner in the Timaru Artillery, who died from injuries received whilst firing a royal salute on her Majesty's birthday. 
The following were sworn in as jurymen: — Messrs E. A. Elliot, S. Hatficld, F. Shrimpton, A. McCaw, T. Thomson, T. Harney, T. Parsons, E. Jones, H. Franklin, P. Stock, J. Alpress, J. Henderson, C. Wood, and E. Cornish. Mr E. Jones was elected foreman. 
Inspector Pinder, being sworn, deposed: I was sitting at 12 o'clock yesterday on the North Road, near Mr Lough's house, looking on at the Volunteers firing a salute. The firing suddenly ceased, and I saw the men crowding round something. A young man came running up and told me what had happened, and I immediately went to the place and saw the deceased, John Wallace, lying on the ground close to the gun, having his right fore-arm blown away, and his left shattered. I at once procured a mattress and gave him some brandy, and had him placed in a waggon. Dr Macintyre arrived very soon, and directed the deceased's removal to the Hospital, where he also followed. This is the same body the jury have seen. I last saw him alive last night at half past nine, and the doctor was in attendance. 
J. Wardle, sworn, deposed: I am a lieutenant in charge of the battery, and was at the time in command. I arrived about a quarter past twelve, and got one gun in position, pointing out seaward. A party of cadets followed us. There are nine men to each gun, and the deceased was No 2. Gunner was No. 1; Oakley No. 3; Cox No. 4; Nelson No. 5; Whittaker No. 6; Llewellyn No. 7; Stephens No. 8; and Ferguson No. 9. A salute is fired at quarter-minute intervals, and at the end of each seventh round the infantry fire a feu de joie, and this was done by the cadets. The deceased's place was to stand outside the right gun wheel, and a pace from it, when not sponging. His duty was to step up to the muzzle of the gun and to sponge it; after the word to load he reverses the sponge, and with the rammer rams home the charge. After the seventh round was fired, the eighth was made ready, and the cadets then fired their small-arms. I looked towards the gun, and saw every man in his proper place, and then gave the word to fire. As No. 5 was pulling the lanyard, deceased stepped into the muzzle. I made an exclamation, but don't recollect what it was. The gun was fired, and I went forward and found deceased lying on his face. He appeared to be dead; his clothes were on fire; his right forearm was blown away and his left shattered, and he was bleeding at the ears. I believe he was an old member of the corps, and was certainly the best at drill. I have had 17 years' experience in artillery armaments. Every man did his duty correctly, and I don't think any one is to blame. I can't, say why he got in front of the gun, probably through forgetting it was loaded. I think he was a very self-possessed man. All the men were perfectly sober, and the gun and ammunition were in good order. 
W. Oakley, gunner No. 3, sworn, deposed: I was present at the firing. My place is to stand opposite No. 2, on the other side of the gun. The deceased was in his proper position when the word to fire was given for the eighth round. He dashed in to sponge the gun, which was loaded at the time. I did not see him fall, but saw him lying on the ground. Lieut. Wardle ran round the gun and exclaimed "good heavens." I have been three years in the corps. Everything was properly done. My duty is to place the charge in the muzzle for No. 2 to ram home. 
Dr Macintyre, sworn, deposed: I arrived on the scene shortly after 12 o'clock. On examination, I found the greater portion of the right forearm carried away, and the bones of the left forearm shattered; a portion of the left hand and thumb missing; portions of the face and neck scorched; the drum of the right ear ruptured; and the right eye seriously injured. He was suffering from the effects of the shock when I saw him, and continued to do so till I last saw him. Death was occasioned by the injuries he sustained. There was very little bleeding throughout. 
C. Nelson, gunner No. 5, sworn, deposed: I saw nothing, as my face was turned away from the gun towards my officer for orders when I pulled the lanyard. 
After all the necessary evidence had been taken, the jury, without leaving the room, returned a verdict of  "Accidental Death."  -Timaru Herald, 26/5/1877.



After reading the details of the inquest, I have to wonder whether John Wallace became confused by the sound of the Cadets' volley, somehow thinking it was the noise of the cannon salvo, after which the order of his Officer, instead of to fire, would naturally be to load.  If so, the confusion was a fatal one.

No comments:

Post a Comment