Monday, 11 November 2019

The Pride of the Yarra - "Death in his most terrible aspect"

The steamer "Pirate" has brought down on her deck the beautiful Screw Steamer, so well known in Melbourne as the "Pride of the Yarra," which the spirited owners, Messrs. James Macandrew and Co., intend to ply as a Harbour boat, and we have much pleasure in furnishing our readers with some details concerning her. She is an iron vessel, built by McDougall in 1856 on the Yarra, 25 tons Register, with two engines of 16-horse power by Dow, drawing about 4 feet when loaded, and owing to her fine lines and great length, 75 feet, she is able to attain a speed of 10 miles an hour. She cost her first Owners £2250. Her machinery was found to be in first-rate order, when taken out in Melbourne for shipment, and she has a fine new boiler. She was cut in two for stowage on the "Pirate's" deck, but the engineers of the latter will be able to put her together again in a couple of days, and we hope to see her in working order very shortly after. The "Pirate"' has proved herself a noble sea boat, notwithstanding the deck load she has had to convey to our shores on the present occasion.
We understand that the schooner "Huon" of 43 tons register, has been purchased in Melbourne on account of Messrs. Jones Cargill and Co. with the intention of placing her in the coast trade of this Province, but as she was not in port at the time she would have to be examined on arrival, which was daily expected, The "Comet," Captain Cork, from Newcastle with stock, arrived here yesterday. The "Melbourne" sailed on the 16th inst. from Sydney for Otago.  -Otago Witness, 30/4/1859.

Port Chalmers arrivals and departures
New Era.— The Pride of the Yarra, the small steamer brought down by the Pirate, and which has been re-christened with the appropriate name of the New Era, made her appearance on Thursday at the Dunedin jetty. The day was fine, and a large number of the inhabitants of Dunedin took advantage of her departure to the port to make a pleasure trip. The New Era, on starting, although the wind was in her favour, made but slow progress; but we understand that her machinery, in consequence of her voyage on board the Pirate, is out of order and that much of the steam escapes, a defect which will shortly be remedied, when we have no doubt she will be found to suit the harbour service well, and be a great convenience to passengers to and from the port. We doubt, however, her capabilities to carry cargo, or as a tug; and the idea of her going round to the Taieri is in our opinion absurd. 
Steam Again. — It never rains but it pours. We understand that the "Reinauw Engelkins," which arrived in port yesterday has brought down another small steamer the "Victoria," (about seventy feet long) which is to be offered for sale in the Province.  -Otago Witness, 14/5/1859.

The Pride of the Yarra, after running very successfully for some days, met with an accident to the boiler, I believe through mismanagement or carelessness, and is under repair, but will soon be finished. The Victoria, however, has been running very well, and is a great boon to travellers arriving, and persons having business with the shipping, enabling them in short and certain time to reach their destination, which was not the case with boats. The Queen's birthday was kept as a general holiday, a pleasure party to the port in the Victoria, a royal salute at noon, vessels dressed in colors, a meeting and show of the Horticultural Society, and a concert and ball in the evening, to conclude.  -Lyttelton Times, 22/6/1859.

[From a Correspondent.] 
Dunedin, August 29. The White Swan, with the English and Colonial mails, arrived here on Friday evening; and as she sails again this day, at noon, I send you the following few items of news, supposing that by the Challenge, from this port, you will have already received the local papers.
The all-absorbing topics since my last have been the melancholy and sudden death by drowning of the master of the Avonvale, Captain Petrie, who unfortunately fell overboard from one of our harbour steamers, the Pride of the Yarra, while proceeding to Dunedin, after towing the vessel into safety from outside the heads. Every effort appears to have been made to save him, but life was extinct, although he never sank. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned by the jury on the inquest, coupled with a recommendation that both the small steamers should be provided with boats. 
The public mind had no sooner recovered from this shocking accident, when they were again startled by the astounding intelligence that the Henbury, which arrived here on the 20th, with cargo and passengers, was on the following Monday morning almost totally destroyed by fire, and now lies a complete wreck in 17 or 18 feet of water at low tide in Port Chalmer's Bay. Little or nothing was saved at the time, but every exertion is being made to save all the cargo possible, and should she be raised again, there is no doubt a great deal of the cargo, valued at from £15,000 to £20,000; may be saved, although more or less damaged. 
The origin of the fire has not been ascertained, but there is no doubt that a few of the crew, from her first anchoring till the destruction of the ship, were in a state of drunkenness, and were quarrelling amongst themselves; by some means or other, yet unknown, the sails in the sail room got on fire and eventually destroyed the ship. I believe an inquiry will be held into the whole matter, but in the meantime I must refer you to the 'Colonist' of the 26th, where you will find a very impartial and correct account of the whole affair.
The crew are, I learn, now conducting themselves well and working hard to save all they can. In consequence of these two disastrous affairs, hardly any other matter is at present the subject of remark; but I may add that business is pretty brisk; sawn timber and building materials in much demand; and, generally speaking, the market is pretty well stocked.  -Lyttelton Times, 3/9/1859.
Southern Cemetery, Dunedin.

We are authorised to state that his Honor the Superintendent, finding his official duties require his exclusive attention, has sold his steamers Pirate and Pride of the Yarra, together with the barge Bon Accord, to the owner of the steamer Oberon, Mr. Frederic Greer, under whose working we have no doubt the steam service of this Province will be carried out with energy and punctuality. The hulk William Hyde, has also been leased to the same party, and the contract for the service between this port and Melbourne transferred.   -Wellington Independant, 3/2/1860.

WILL continue to ply regularly between Dunedin and Port Chalmers, leaving the former at 10 a.m., and the latter at 3 p.m. FREDERIC GREER & CO.   -Otago Witness, 4/2/1860.

Fatal Accidents. — On Tuesday, the 24th ult , another fatal accident occurred on the harbour, by which Mr. Young, the engineer of the steamer "Pride of theYarra," lost his life. It appears that about five o'clock on the afternoon of the day in question, the steamer was leaving the Dunedin jetty for the purpose of proceeding down the harbour, laden with cargo. When a few hundred yards from the jetty, a heavy squall struck the boat. The deceased was on deck arranging a sail placed over some bales of wool, when the wind, catching the cloth, threw him overboard. It was some time before the engine could be stopped, which was at last done, and the anchor let go. The steam was then turned on to the whistle, which attracted the attention of the persons on the jetty, who were unconscious of what had occurred. The steamer had no passengers on board at the time, and no boat attached. The deceased being the engineer, the boy and man remaining on the steamer were unable to manage her, or to render any assistance. The unfortunate man sank before it could be possible to make an effort to save him. The deceased has left a wife and three children to mourn his loss, who, with the assistance of the public, have been sent back to their friends in Melbourne, from whence they came. This is the second instance of a person being drowned from falling out of that unfortunate craft, the "Pride of the Yarra;" and on both occasions the want of a boat has precluded the possibility of giving assistance in time; when, on the first occasion to which we allude, that of the death of Captain Petrie, there can be little doubt had there been a boat at hand he would have been saved. We know of no process of law by which the owners of these small steamers can be compelled to carry a boat, but we trust that these repeated accidents will have some effect in causing something to be done. It is not long since the same steamer touched upon a bank, drew out the screw and shaft, and immediately sank; the water being shallow, no other inconvenience occurred than keeping the passengers on deck till morning, through an inclement night, thereby giving them violent colds; but had the screw come in contact with a beacon post, in all probability the steamer would have gone down in deep water, and every soul on board been drowned.  -  Otago Witness, 3/3/1860.

Local Intelligence
New Year's. Day. — New Year's Day, which with us has always been kept as a general holiday, passed off well. The year 1860 was taken farewell of, and 1861 ushered in by the ringing of the bell and the firing of one gun: and, shortly after, the town was still and quiet, and appeared to us as if the system of "first-footing," pursued in our native land, had been entirely abandoned in Dunedin. The day was fine, and large numbers of the inhabitants of the town took the opportunity of getting a little fresh air. The Geelong took an excursion party of about 150 to Waikouaiti, where they were landed, and, after exploring the country around, spending some hours there, returned to Dunedin at 8 o'clock. The party was accompanied by the Dunedin Band, whose performances delighted the Waikouaiti natives exceedingly. A considerable party went to Portobello Bay by the Pride of the Yarra, and enjoyed the pleasure of a pic-nic in that picturesque locality. Pic-nics in the neighbourhood of Dunedin were general, and every available conveyance appeared to be called into requisition to transport parties of pleasure, and Dunedin was quite deserted. - It is a subject of gratification to us, and will no doubt be the same to our teetotal friends, when we state that very few persons indeed were to be seen the worse of drink during all that day, which reflects great credit on our townspeople; and all we wish is that they may continue to merit so good a name, notwithstanding all that has been said against Dunedin in respect of her inhabitants indulging too freely in strong drink.   -Otago Witness, 5/1/1860.

THURSDAY, 3rd October. The Harbour Steamer "PRIDE OF THE YARRA." The Hulk "WILLIAM HYDE." The Lighter "BON ACCORD." 

JAMES PATERSON & CO. have received instructions from the Trustees of the estate of Frederic Greer & Co., to Sell by Auction, at their Rooms, on THURSDAY, the 3rd October, at One o'clock p.m., the following well-known Vessels — The Screw Steamer "PRIDE OF THE YARRA," capable of carrying 20 tons Cargo and 100 Passengers. The Hulk "WILLIAM HYDE,'' stowing 600 tons Coals and 600 tons General Merchandise. The Lighter "BON ACCORD," conveying a cargo of 45 tons dead weight on a draught of 4 feet. The two last-named vessels have lately been beached and thoroughly repaired and caulked, and are in first-rate order.

Terms at Sale.  -Otago Witness, 21/9/1861.


THE screw steamer PRIDE OF THE YARRA 
will LEAVE Dunedin Jetty at 10 a.m., THIS DAY, for PORT CHALMERS AND PORTOBELLO,  Returning from the latter at 4 p.m. 

Fares:—There and back, Four Shillings: Children Half-price.   -Otago Daily Times, 26/12/1861.

Resident Magistrate's Court

 Low v: Adams. — In this case,William Low, waterman, was complainant; and W. Adams, master of the steamer "Lady Barkly," defendant. The charge was that of assault, alleged to have been committed at the wharf, on the 23rd April. The particulars are as follows: — On the day mentioned upon the face of the information complainant was on the wharf endeavouring to procure passengers for the "Pride of the Yarra," and the defendant was trying to obtain some for his own boat, the "Lady Barkly." They came into contract, and a quarrel took place between them, originating in the furor of competition. Defendant threatened to fling complainant into the water, upon which menace the complainant put his arms akimbo and exclaimed "Now you just try and do that, will you?" The defendant instantly rejoined: "Oh! I see you are one of the Old Identity coves, eh?" (laughter in Court). A witness named Greer, proved having seen the defendant seize hold of the prosecutor by both shoulders, and throw him down upon the jetty with great violence. There was some altercation between the two, but witness was too far distant to hear what about. Complainant informed the Bench that he had no animosity against defendant, and defendant denied having pushed complainant down: he tripped himself up by stumbling against a nail. His Worship considered that there had been no provocation to warrant the assault, and inflicted a penalty of 30s. and costs amounting to 7s. 6d.  -Otago Daily Times, 26/4/1862.

The Pride of the Yarra steamer has undergone another, thorough renovation, and has resumed the passage between Port Chalmers and Dunedin, improved in speed and appearance. So many are disappointed by the frequent want of a steamer from Port Chalmers in the afternoon, that it is to be hoped, for the public accommodation, she or some other of the steamers may more regularly make an evening trip than has lately been done. The immediate necessity which exists for the erection of some leading light on the point of Dunedin Jetty was illustrated the other night, when the Lady Barkly steamer conveyed up the English mails. The night was so dark and stormy that it was impossible to distinguish more than the outline of the land, and Captain Adams was compelled to steer hither and thither until the Jetty was discovered, running considerable risk of doing damage to his own or other vessels. Had there been but a simple light upon the Jetty, it could have been reached at once, and the mails and passengers discharged with safety and expeditions When care is taken to forward the mails at once; and a high charge is paid for their conveyance, it is provoking that there should be this constant risk and delay attending their delivery, through the absence of a requesite of the harbor which is so easily attainable.   -Otago Daily Times, 24/5/1862.

The coal-fields of the Province promise soon to yield a coal of sufficiently good quality to make it of the utmost value to the commercial interests of this port. Last week the Samson steamer made the run from Port Chalmers to Waikouaiti in an hour and forty minutes, using Molyneux coals, and the Pride of the Yarra has, on one or two occasions, been steamed with coals obtained from Shag river, and with the most satisfactory results.  -Otago Daily Times, 5/6/1862.

Resident Magistrate's Court

Vogel v. Hay. — This was a claim for £16 5s. 6d., the defendant denying his liability except to the  amount of £4 3s. 6d., which he had paid into court, "for papers said to be missing from parcel opened by mistake in my shop in the Arcade." Mr. Ward stated the case. The plaintiff, Mr. Julius Vogel, is in the habit of receiving parcels of newspapers from Melbourne. On this occasion of the 21st August the Aldinga arrived at Port Chalmers with the English mail, and, as upon all similar occasions, there was great anxiety to be first in the market with the English papers. Mr. Reid, shipping reporter for the Daily Times, came up in the Pride of the Yarra, bringing a parcel for the plaintiff, which Mr. Reid brought ashore in a special boat. He gave instructions respecting it to one of the plaintiff's clerks, and proceeded on to the office, where, soon after, he learned that the parcel had not been received. A messenger was then sent to the shop of the defendant, a news agent in the Arcade, to ask if anything was known of the parcel, the reply being in the negative. Mr Reid went to the shop, and after a conversation he saw amongst some other wrappers the one which had been round the plaintiff's parcel, and which was very clearly directed. It was not alleged or suggested for the plaintiff that the parcel was intentionally taken from the Jetty by the defendant's servants, or that, when opened, it was known to belong to the plaintiff. The boy who took it to the shop, said that it was delivered to him by a boatman, who called out that it was for Hay; and as for the opening of the parcel, it seemed to have been done by two or three persons jointly, in the hurry to serve customers. The defendant offered to select the plaintiff's papers so soon as Mr Farjeon, manager of the Daily Times, went to him on the matter; but this was not possible because the invoice was not to hand. Meanwhile the sale of the papers to the runners employed by the plaintiff was prevented, although the runners had been specially summoned to be in waiting; and the plaintiff had consequently paid them what they would have made by the sale, had the papers been received in due course The defendant had verbally offered to Mr. Farjeon to pay the invoice price of the papers, which was refused, and the amount sought to be recovered was the value of the whole at runners' prices. 
The Magistrate said there could be no question as to the liability of the defendant, up to the amount of the invoice price of the newspapers; but he did not feel so sure as to the amount of dealers' profits, half of which he should allow. Verdict for £13 14s. 7 1/2, and costs.  -Otago Daily Times, 8/9/1862.

(To the Editor of the Daily Times.) Sir, — Being one of the passengers per the Pride of the Yarra to the Nor'-Wester, I take the liberty of informing the public, through your journal, that we went down by her yesterday to the Nor'-Wester, and were nearly drowned, through being overloaded. 
Now, sir, can you tell me and my fellow-passengers — as we know little about steamers — whether there is a license for carrying a certain number by each steamer, according to tonnage? and, if there is not would you allow me to suggest the advisability of such a plan being adopted forthwith? inasmuch as the safety of the public is involved: and it will save your shipping reporters the reporting of the melancholy loss of many valuable lives. 
Yours truly, W. H. Ledger.  -Otago Daily Times, 15/10/1862.

A serious accident, which has since been attended with fatal results, occurred on Thursday, at Port Chalmers. A man was getting over the side of the ship Nor'-Wester, when a rope by which he was holding broke, and he fell into a boat below. He was brought up to Dunedin by the Pride of the Yarra, and Dr Hocken was called to attend him, but he expired two hours after his arrival. He was buried yesterday.  -Otago Daily Times, 18/10/1862.

The small steamer Pride of the Yarra, after undergoing an overhaul which has occupied some months, has resumed her passage between Dunedin and the Port, greatly improved in speed, and her passenger accommodation.   -Otago Daily Times, 14/4/1863.

A SPECIAL General Meeting of the above Company will be held on Saturday, next, 4th inst, at 11 a.m, in the Airlie Bank Hotel. Business of importance will he brought before the meeting. 
The steamer Pride of the Yarra will leave Dunedin Jetty at 9.30 a.m, landing passengers on the Peninsula and calling for them on her return in the evening. 
By order of the Directors. 
CHARLES WEBB, Agent.  -Otago Daily Times, 4/7/1863.
Pride of the Yarra
Otago Witness photo.
On Saturday evening there happened, in the vicinity of Port Chalmers, a catastrophe more lamentable and appalling in its character than any that has ever occurred in the Province of Otago. Two of the port steamers, proceeding at full speed in opposite directions, came into violent collision, and amid the darkness, the confusion, and the general terror which prevailed, the more tender vessel of the two filled and sunk, taking down with her many of her human freight, and leaving others waifs upon the waters to battle desperately for life - some with success, others with hopeless effort to avert their fearful fate. How many persons have suffered by the sad calamity it is impossible at present precisely to ascertain, but the bodies of eleven have already been recovered, and there is too much reason to believe that several more have perished. Though less than the number originally believed to have been lost, when the fearful experience of the participators in the catastrophe tended to an exaggeration of the circumstances, this is a result sufficiently melancholy, but more particularly when are considered the family relationship of the sufferers, and the peculiarly and painfully affecting circumstances under which their general fate was met. Of these circumstances the following is the most perfect account which it is possible in the meantime to obtain, or would be prudent to publish, pending the rigid inquiry which will no doubt be instituted. 
Between five and six o'clock in the evening the steamer Pride of the Yarra — a small iron screwboat— took on board, at Port Chalmers, from forty to fifty passengers for Dunedin, some joining her at the jetty, others alongside the steamer William Miskin, which had just arrived from Invercargill, and one family, consisting of nine souls, from on board the ship Matoaka, which had only the previous day arrived in the port from London. At the hour of starting it was dark, and the evening being peculiarly dull, there was a difficulty in exactly estimating the number on board, or in recognising the persons of whom the living freight was composed, but such is the number generally believed to have started. The majority were on deck, but the ladies, including Mrs Campbell, wife of the Rev. Mr Campbell, Principal of the High School, Dunedin, who was one of the Matoaka's passengers, sought what proved to be the fatal shelter of the cabin, along with her husband and her five young and interesting children, attended by two maid servants, Fanny Finch and Mary Roberts. In the same place was seated a Mrs Henderson, an engaging young person who had arrived in the colony by the Chili on the occasion of her last passage, and who had only been lately married. Its other occupants were several gentlemen, all of whom have been saved, with the exception of one, who has been recognised as Mr Somerville, a station holder at Wanganui, but his identity is not sufficiently established. The night being an unpleasant one, some of the passengers of the William Miskin and others — five altogether — squatted themselves in the partially occupied hold, the hatches being left off, and it is supposed that there were some who betook themselves to a very minute department in the fore part of the vessel, representing the usual steerage or fore-cabin. In the cabin there was a light, and the party in the hold had also been furnished with a candle; those in the fore-cabin, if any, were in darkness. Thus freighted, the Pride steamed on, going at her usual speed, and she had the reputation of being about the fastest boat in the port. Captain Spence was personally in charge, and at the wheel was an experienced and steady steersman, and it so happened that one of the Port Otago pilots was a passenger, though of course not interfering with the guidance of the vessel's course. As she steamed on, parallel to Sawyer's Bay, the lights of the Favorite steamer were recognised, as that vessel was on her way down from town, and, as the two vessels approached, the Favorite seemed to be steering right down upon the Pride, and occasionally keeping so much of a starboard course that her port lights were concealed. This course being apparently preserved, the Pride's helm was ported, and she was kept well over to the starboard side of the channel, which, at that particular place, is defined by a bluff rocky headland, but there appeared still more necessity in porting the helm, and "Port," "Hard a-Port," are alleged to have been the orders. A collision being now almost imminent, there was a cry of "For God's sake reverse the engines" and simultaneously with this they were reversed, but all too late. Both vessels going still at a considerable rate of speed, the Favorite run stem on to the Pride, catching her at a point about a third of her length from the bow, or nearly on a line with her mast, listing her over to port, and cutting right through her port side. This was the collision as said to have been seen from the deck of the Pride of the Yarra.
The Favorite, which is a paddle-boat principally employed in towing, was, as has been described, on her way from Dunedin Bay, where, late in the evening, she had towed up a barque. She was in charge of Captain Adams, steered by C. Murray, both of whom were on the bridge, where the wheel is stationed, and it is a coincidence that on board of her also there was one of the pilot-staff, who was witness of the accident. According to the description given, no lights of a steamer ahead were seen from the bridge, and it was a subject of remark among those on board that the Pride of the Yarra did not seem to have passed, when, suddenly, from amidst the darkness, her lights gleamed forth — a mast-head light, and what was apparently the light of her furnace or small cabin windows. She was at the same moment recognised by the puffing of her high pressure engine, and so close was she that, as had already been perceived from her own decks, a collision was seen to be inevitable, and before the orders to stop the engines of the Favorite had effected any material change in her speed, the collision was an accomplished fact. Such, at least, is the account given. 
The scene which succeeded the momentary but fatal shock of the vessels it is not easy to realise those even who were participators in it having but hazy and mystified conceptions of anything beyond their own individual experiences. On the part of a few on board the Pride of the Yarra, there was some slight anticipation of the result, and of preparation for some contingency, but it was still hard to imagine that these gay bright lights which were only visible, was the signal of the approach of a terrible engine of destruction; and the mental shock at the sudden realisation of their position was not less than the physical one, by the mere contact of the two vessels. On the other vessel there is described as being equal astonishment at the sudden appearance of  what was more like an evil spirit breaking through the cloud of darkness which overhung the face of the waters, than any mere human contrivance. But the instinct of self-preservation dispersed all the fancies in which a mere observer might have indulged. As the water was heard to rush into the vessel's hold, and as the deck was felt to subside below the fickle surface, the crowd on deck advanced with all the rapidity which love of life could inspire, to the point of attachment of the two vessels. Here, also, the hands on board the Favorite approached, to rescue the many who were claimants for assistance, and who were struggling hard to get upon the safe side of her bulwarks. There was hurry and confusion not a little, of course, but all the haste that could be used was needed, for down and down still was the motion of the vessel, and with the exception of the first few who caught the Favorite's bulwarks, all were partially immersed, and, becoming more deeply immersed as the Pride was sucked head foremost into the dark-yawning gulf. And, naturally, as the crowd pressed forward to the only place of hope, their aggregate weight depressed the boat still more at the very point of danger, aggravating the critical character of their position, until at last all were floundering in the water, and were only saved by seizing hold of each other as one by one, like a chain of living links, they were drawn in over the side. While this was going on the boat had gradually turned, so as almost to lie abreast of the fore-part of the Favorite, and some of those nearer the stern were able to save themselves as the majority had done in the scramble at the bows. Of those who were in the little fore cabin, if there were any, the fate must have been sudden and terrible. They must have been stilled in an instant, if not bruised to death by the concussion, and their bodies have probably floated out, as the deck became detached and rose to the surface of the water, leaving the hull to sink. Of those in the hold it is hoped that all have been saved, I though their escape must have been narrow. One of the number, a young man from Port Chalmers, who had all his effects and some amount of money with him, was one of the first out, and yet he was up to the neck in water, and was only, like many more, providentially saved. Of those who were aft, Mr J. Gleadow was one, and as he made for the bows he had the misfortune to fall into the open hatchway, by that time concealed by the water, and to sustain a fracture of some of his ribs, in consequence of which he is now lying at the Port Chalmers Hotel. The worst situated, and, as it proved, the worst fated were those in the cabin. Captain Wilson, of the Wm. Miskin and Mr. Thomas Kingston, who were here seated, just succeeded in making their escape as the water was running in breast-high. A lame gentleman, Captain of the cutter Alpha, who was near the door, was also pulled out by Captain Spence. But the family of Mr. Campbell, happy in the knowledge of arrival at their new home, and so unhappy in their fate at the very threshold they must have been pressed down and suffocated, by the rush of cold, chilling, choking water, under circumstances of agony from the contemplation of which the mind must withdraw overcome with utter horror. Cribbed, cabined, and confined, they had not even the drowning man's hope. So thorough was the surprise, and so sudden the sealing of their fate, that it is said no cry or scream of despair was heard to rise from the lips of the fated family. Another moment, the Pride of the Yarra and all within her, dead or dying, went down, only a few dark objects — some say swags, some think men — floating over the scene of the disaster. One man, at least, is said to have got separated from the general rush, and to have floated off, crying weirdly for "Help! oh Help!" and courage was given him by those on board with promises of this help; — lines were thrown to him and over him, but there was no capacity to seize them — he gave one more, but a weak cry; and when the Favorite was so shifted as to approach the position from which the sound had come, the people peered down upon the blank face of the black water. After half-an-hour's delay at the spot, all who were rescued were brought to Port Chalmers, and towards midnight they were reshipped for Dunedin, by the Golden Age. Most fortunate it was that the two boats clung together even for the short time they did — though that was not more than three or four minutes. Had they driven apart after the first concussion who can say how few there might have been left to tell the tale. 
RECOVERY OF THE BODIES. Eleven bodies of the unfortunate sufferers by this accident have been recovered by the aid of a professional diver, whose services were as expeditiously as possible obtained by the Harbor Department and the Police. Both departments, of course, took proceedings with the view of rectifying what little evil of the great evil it was in human power to rectify. Captain Thomson and the harbor crew, on being informed of the circumstances, proceeded to the locality of the accident. So did the boat of the water police. Then there were messengers and messages despatched to Commissioner Branigan and others, and a diver was found in Dunedin who was part proprietor of a diving dress with another diver who was at the Heads, and by eight o'clock on Sunday morning these two men were brought together, and with Harbor Master, pilots, harbor crew, Mr Branigan, Inspector Sincock, water police, and many ready volunteers, the steamer Favorite and a number of small boats proceeded to the spot, which was indicated by the deck of the vessel floating doubled up, with the mast attached, above the wreck, which lay unseen in four fathoms water. All these were merely official preliminaries to the work of dragging and diving, but they proved to be the preliminary also to what was no doubt the saddest picture that any one among the numbers assembled had ever witnessed. The melancholy work of dragging all the channel in the vicinity of the wreck was interrupted only by the police finding some luggage, one box bearing the name of the "Rev. T. Campbell," and the harbor boats hooked a boot at the bottom which had apparently come freshly off the leg of some male body. The time of terrible interest to the group assembled on the deck of the steamer, and in the crowd of boats surrounding her, was when the rapidly ebbing tide slacked, and Watson the diver prepared to go below to bring up any bodies which might be found in or about the wreck. He was assisted by his brother diver Wheeler, and at one o'clock, when the tide slacked, went over the steamer's side, his disappearance below the surface occasioning intense interest among the friends of supposed drowned, and in the sad hearts of many more. He was not many minutes down, when by the motion of the surface water, bubbling hither and thither as he moved round the wreck, it was distinguished that he had reached the cabin, the scene in which few eyes indeed would dare to witness. A minute or two later there was a nervous twitching of the signal rope, and a spare line having been attached and hauled down by the diver, the first body of eleven rose to the surface. It was Mrs Campbell: the features placid, and little changed, the hands as if crossed upon the bosom. The same arrangement of ropes repeated, and there rose the body of a handsome young woman (Mrs Henderson), even yet more life-like. Next came the broader figure of an aged and bearded man, and, as it rose, the attention of the spectators was momentarily directed to a young man who, with the words, "My father!", fainted away, and fell upon the steamer's bridge. The body of Fanny Finch, who was in the service of Mr Campbell, and who was one of a large family who were passengers by the same vessel, came next; and she was followed by the dead forms of two of her youthful charge — an infant and a little boy — both so fair, so young, and absolutely so life-like that it was difficult to believe they were not in full life as they appeared to be. Poor Mr. Campbell, whose family with himself had thus perished at one fell swoop, seemed, by his attitude to have most appreciated what had come upon them, — stretching out his arms as if alarmed and stunned by an impending danger. The old maidservant of the family, Mary Roberts, a second boy, and another child, completed the sad catalogue; and glad were the on-lookers that the sickening scene was over. One by one the dead had been placed in boats alongside, and covered from the intrusive gaze, until the diver completed his examination of the wreck, which he soon did, moving round her as far as her bows, but there was none loth to hear that he could discover no more. By the deck being off, the interior of her hull was perfectly exposed to view, and there was no one there. The melancholy work over, the steamer lifted anchor, and, with the boats containing their sufficiently numerous dead, returned to Port Chalmers. There a very large crowd assembled on the shore, deeply anxious to know the extent of the calamity, and, amid the mournful throng, all the bodies, covered by British ensigns, were conveyed to the large building recently occupied by the Messrs Mains, where they will await the holding of the Coroner's inquest, which it is intended, for various, valid reasons, to hold at Port Chalmers. It was a glimpse of the light of life, amid its shadows, to see the rough-and-ready diver, when yet in his sober senses, retire to a secluded corner and weep bitter tears over, the young and the fair whose dead images he had rescued with apparently unshaken nerve from their first terrible grave.

The question of the causes of the accident is one upon which it is delicate to touch in anticipation of the inquest and other enquiries which will probably follow. It may be mentioned, however, that the Favorite had the usual mast-head, and port and starboard lights. She had not a boat on board, nor so far as we are aware, any lifebelt. The Pride of the Yarra had one light at the mast-head, that lamp, however, having three slides, representing the usual colors for mast-head light; port, and starboard. The rule of the road is, to allow a vessel to pass on the port, or left hand side, and it was while this was being attempted by the Pride of the Yarra that the accident occurred. 

It would be invidious to mention any of the names of those who rendered assistance at the recovery of the bodies yesterday. Officials and volunteers gave most ready service; as well as the captains and others connected with the steamers, the work being under the superintendence of Captain Thomson, next to whom Captain Lowden was most attentive to the painful duties. The interruption of the electric telegraph on Saturday was not due to the absence of either of the operators, who were both in their offices. The line was down, as it too frequently is. Immediately on receipt of the news in town, Messrs. Murray, Kerr and Co., as agents of the Matoaka, despatched a messenger to the Port in order to ascertain what passengers had been on board the Pride of the Yarra, so as to ascertain the lost and see to the comfort of the survivors. Yesterday afternoon His Honor the Superintendent proceeded to Port Chalmers. 

Mr Campbell went on to the Jetty about halfpast twelve o'clock on Saturday, and was introduced to Captain Dickie, the deputy harbor master, for the purpose of obtaining his advice as to the best means of bringing up his family and some of their luggage. Captain Dickie at once suggested the Pride of the Yarra; saying that it could be arranged that she should go alongside the Motoaka, so that the children, &c, could be readily transhipped, and much trouble saved, as well as the inconvenience and danger of small boats avoided. Alas! greater danger was incurred. Another of the drowned, Mrs Henderson, was only by a few minutes too late for the Golden Age, and there are not a few instances where arrangements for proceeding by the Pride were accidentally interrupted. 

Mr Campbell was to have assisted in the service at the Church of England yesterday forenoon. During his short first and final visit to Dunedin on Saturday, he saw the Rev Mr Edwards, and also the Rev Isaac Harding, Wesleyan Minister. Mr Edwards yesterday morning stated to his congregation the fact that Mr Campbell had volunteered his assistance in conducting the service; and, while laboring under the deepest emotion, the reverend gentleman briefly dwelt upon the circumstances of the terrible accident. Mr Harding and other ministers also referred to the subject during their discourses yesterday. 

Captain Wilson, of the William Miskin, tells us that he didn't think the results of the collision likely to be serious and when those in the cabin rushed to the narrow doorway and blocked it, he went amongst them and persuaded them to be calm, pointing out that they could, only pass one by one. His impression was that in this way all but four or five had left the cabin ere he himself found it necessary to leave the place. He had lighted his cigar after the collision, in order to aid in restoring confidence by showing that he did not anticipate great danger; but he was completely water-borne by the time he had forced his way to the deck. Then began his own danger. He cannot swim, but he managed to keep himself afloat for a time. He says, however, that he owes his life to his steward, for while he was all but exhausted, the steward, a capital swimmer, came up, and in a few strokes helped him to the side of the Favorite and to safety. "I spotted you out by your hat," said the steward, subsequently. 

Mr Thomas Fisher states that after the collision he scrambled on to the top of the cabin and began to strip, calling to those near him to do the same, as thus increasing their chance of safety. He got off his coat and waistcoat, and then found himself afloat. Almost at the same instant his right arm was tightly clinched by some one. He asked "Who's that — a woman?" The reply left no doubt as to the fact. He managed with difficulty to support himself and the woman until he floundered to the Favorite's side; for though a good swimmer he was terribly hampered by his burden. Giving one desperate plunge, he caught the sponson with his left hand; and so he hung until the strain could no longer be endured. He then asked. "Can you hold yourself for a minute, while I get on board to help you?" and the woman replying that she could, at once released his arm, and was by him helped to a grip of the sponson. Then Fisher got on board the Favorite, rushed at a rope, and returned with it to the woman's help. Not a minute had passed but the place was vacant — the woman was seen no more!
Immediately on the collision occurring, Mr. Pilot Allardyce, who was passenger by the Favorite, went to the bows, with the hands belonging to the vessel, and, by a happy expedient, assisted much in rescuing the escaping passengers. Reaching one of his legs over the side, it was immediately seized by a person in the water, and, as he climbed up, the others on board assisted to pull him. Attached to him was another, and so on they came until there were altogether eight drawn up in this way. 

A seafaring man states that he was a passenger on board the Pride of the Yarra; and that some time before the collision, he said to the captain, "There's the Favorite or the Geelong coming down. I see by her lights that as she's coming she's bound to hit us." So strong was his conviction that there would be a collision that he went to a mate and said, "Now, I'm going to be ready for a pier-head jump." He planted one foot on the rail; and at the instant of collision, he leaped and caught hold of the Favorite's bulwarks.
The Rev. T. Campbell, his wife, and their five children, came from London by the Matoaka. He was to have become the head master of our High School. They were all more than elated by the rapid and pleasant passage out, Mr and Mrs Campbell came up to town on Saturday morning, went to Park House, and made arrangements for a temporary sojourn there. They returned to the Port by the afternoon boat; and out of the Matoaka they obtained not only their luggage but their five fine children; and they were all drowned in the Pride of the Yarra. Drowned! after their long voyage; after having trod on the land of their choice; and with their little ones clinging around them.
Mr. Ross, of Ross and Glendinning, was one of the passengers. He soon got to the bow of the Favorite; but while he hung there he was, so to speak, "walked over" by a number of others, and his clothes — even his trowsers — were torn into strips. Mr. Ross had arrived as a cabin passenger by the William Miskin. All his fellow-passengers in the cabin were on board the Pride, and all are saved. Their names, as supplied by the agents, are Messrs. Ross, McCrae, Miller, Kennedy, Gleadow, Lilley, and Learey.
Most, if not all, the steerage, passengers by the William Miskin were on board the Pride. Messrs. Thompson and Peters are certainly saved. Of the others, nothing can be stated with certainty, at present.  -Otago Daily Times, 6/7/1863.

THE Otago Daily Times. "Inveniam viam out faciam."
It may serve to lighten somewhat the pangs of bereavement, that the departed ones have been followed to the grave with the universal regrets of the community in which they had cast their lot. We mourn for them as for members of our common family — as brothers and sisters, as parents and children. We are sure that but one feeling will pervade the people of Dunedin to-day — a feeling of deep sorrow for the dead, and sympathy for the living. 
We are to-day called upon to perform a solemn duty — to follow to their last resting place the remains of the victims of the late dreadful catastrophe. What a contrast does not this day afford to the last occasion on which the people of Dunedin united in demonstration! Ere the echoes of the paeans of joy at an auspicious event have passed away, the mournful tones of the funereal dirge fall on the ear. The bright garlands we wove as emblems of delight must now be exchanged for the willow and cypress; for Death — Death in his most terrible aspect has been busy amongst us. The Monarch of Terrors announced not his presence, but suddenly and with one fell swoop snatched with his insatiable hands the young, and old, parents and children — the beautiful and good — on the very threshold of Hope. It is not for poor weak Humanity to attempt to solve the inscrutable designs of Almighty Providence. We can but bow the head, and, as David of old, bless Him who, as he giveth, also taketh away. Sad and mournful as is the reflection, that so many of our fellow-creatures have been swept suddenly into eternity - that not even one of that numerous family was permitted to remain — there are yet elements of consolation to be eliminated from the darkness of death. It was a merciful Providence which ordained that that happy family should leave life together — should travel through the Valley of the Shadow, even as they had walked on earth, hand in hand, and heart to heart; and after resting in that Beulah "where the sun shineth night and day," enter the portals of the Celestial City. Better, — far better this, than that the mother should have lived, and like another Rachel, "refused to be comforted because her children were not," — that orphans should have mourned for parents, husband for wife, or wife for lord. It is some small consolation also to know that in all probability those we mourn felt not the agonies of death — that their sufferings were brief and possibly painless. 
To prevent confusion, and conduce as much as possible to the generally decent and orderly manifestation of sorrowful respect for the dead, we reprint the order of procession which it is desired may be adopted on the occasion of the public funeral: — 
I.—The Hearses with the Bodies of the Deceased. 
2.—The Chief Mourners. 
3.—The Clergy and Vestry of St. Paul's Church. 
4.—The Functionaries of the Provincial Government, including the Masters of District Schools. 
5.—The Heads of the Public Departments. 
6.—Members of the Provincial Council. 
7.—The Members of the Executive Council. 
8.—His Honor the Superintendent. 
9.—Ministers of Religion. 
10.—The Officers and Passengers of the Matoaka. 
11—The General Public.
In consequence of the generally mournful associations connected with the day, the Marsh Troupe will not give their usual performance at the Princess Theatre this evening — an arrangement which does great honor to the Managers who thus show their sympathy with the general feeling of public sorrow.
The inclemency of the weather has considerably interfered with the work of dragging and otherwise examining the channel in the vicinity of the wreck of the Pride of the Yarra, and as yet no more bodies have been recovered. There is still the greatest uncertainty as to the probable number lost. It is the belief of the captain of the steamer and others that there were no more females on board than those in the cabin, but the statement of Mr Fisher would imply that there has been another; and there is a person in Port Chalmers who states positively that he assisted on board the vessel a female who was accompanied by two children, and, he thinks, had also an infant in her arms. It would be well if any of the passengers by the boat would state whether or not they observed a female or children on the steamer's deck; and, as there has been an impression on the part of Captain Mackie of the Gothenburg, that one of his female passengers, with children, was on board, it would be satisfactory if the Gothenburg's passenger list were examined so that it might be decided whether it contained the names of any family who have not been accounted for. One of the passengers by the Pride says that, shortly before the collision, he saw the figure of a man lying on one of the seats in the fore-cabin, and his impression is that there were others in the same place.  -Otago Daily Times, 9/7/1863.
Southern Cemetery, Dunedin.  This and following photos, DCC.

EXTENSION OF TIME FOR TENDERS. TENDERS are required for Raising the above Wreck at present lying sunk in the Fairway in the the Upper Harbor; and conveying same above high water mark, within ten days from 6th instant, according to notice received from the Harbor-master. Tenders to be delivered to me before 11am, on Saturday, 11th July. The lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted.
FREDERICK GEER, Agent, New Jetty.  -Otago Daily Times, 10/7/1863.

The body of a twelfth sufferer by the collision of the steamer Favorite and Pride of the Yarra, on Saturday night, was recovered on Monday afternoon, at no great distance from the wreck, having been brought up from the bottom by the drags of one of the harbor boats. It is the body of a middle-aged man, dressed in a brown jacket, and having in his pockets different small articles which led to the belief that he has been a carpenter by trade. Among these are a foot rule, some scraps of paper with memorandum of carpenters' work and wages, and a receipt for rent, signed "W. Hooper," to a person — probably the deceased — whose name is not easily distinguishable, the initials, however, being "M. H." His face is familiar to several in Port Chalmers, though they are unacquainted with his name. He has likely been a carpenter engaged about one or other of the steamers under repair, and who had started for town to spend his Sunday.
[Since the foregoing was written, the body has been recognised as that of a carpenter named Hammond, who is understood to have been living at the Bendigo Boarding-house, of which house he had an address card in his pocket,]
The twelve bodies are now all lying in Messrs. Mains's late store, awaiting the inquest, which takes place at Port Chalmers to-day. On Monday the identity of Mrs Henderson was established, or understood to be so, though the grief of friends is, as in all cases, an obstacle to the ready recognition of a person cut off under such circumstances. One of the most affecting scenes which occurred in the examination of bodies by friends, was the recognition of Fanny Finch by her bereaved parents and sisters, whose grief for her unfortunate relative and "the master" (Mr Campbell), was so intense as to necessitate their speedy removal from the scene. The inquest will be a very lengthy one, as numerous witnesses present on the fatal occasion will be examined. Of the survivors, ten have already communicated their safety to Mr Slansford, R.M., and it is hoped others will follow the example.
We are sorry that some misapprehension has existed on the part of Mr Watson, the diver, as to an accidental expression in our report of Monday. No man who has ever adopted his hazardous profession, could more boldly, but yet more delicately, have gone through the trial of entering the cabin where the deceased were, and of preparing them for being brought to the surface by his assistance. It was for this courage and delicacy, and for the tender and homely expression of his feelings at the painful scene he had witnessed that we meant to compliment him, and we were therefore the more careful to say that neither his courage nor his tenderness were falsely stimulated, he having been rather too abstemious, both from food and drink, during the time of his hard and trying work. His picture of the scene in the cabin is one, in referring to which we can scarcely venture to be minute. It is enough that there were all its inmates, in almost every position, but forming a picture of life most affecting in its character, by the clustering of the children round the mother, the mother's firm hold of the infant, and the father as the centre of the little hope that remained. In removing the bodies of this group, so patient was the diver that he wrapped the infant in a shawl which he found before sending it to the surface, and was otherwise most careful in the handling of the bodies, as Wheeler was in the assistance which he rendered from above. 
Many small items might, perhaps, be added to our original report. The respective temperaments of the passengers underwent the trial with some strange results. Amid the general scramble for life, there were, it is said, some exceptional beings who greatly concerned themselves in the rescue of their swags, and one individual stuck with such pertinacity to two boxes of jewels or other valuables as to sacrifice, and almost to tempt those who were helping him out to leave him to his fate. At the time of the accident, it should have been mentioned, it was close upon high water, if not slack tide, and the wind was up the bay driving before it the smoke of the Pride of the Yarra, which, it is quite probable, was the cause of obscuring her light from any vessel advancing in the other direction.  -Otago Witness, 11/7/1863.

ALL SURVIVING PASSENGERS per Pride of the Yarra, steamer, on the occasion of the late accident, are requested to communicate their names and addresses to the Commissioner of Police, Dunedin, with as little delay as possible.  -Otago Daily Times, 11/7/1863.

The harbour boat was to-day again in the vicinity of the wreck of the Pride of the Yarra, rendering assistance to Watson and Wheeler the divers, but no more bodies or articles of luggage were found. On Saturday, a most thorough search of the vicinity of the wreck was made by both men, and a number of articles which had floated away from the wreck were found, but no bodies. These consisted of a carpenters' tool-chest, a canvas bag containing seaman's weaving apparel, and a carpet bag containing clothing and 55 sovereigns, the property of Mr. Collier, who was a passenger. All the articles were found from one hundred to two hundred yards distant from the wreck, the divers making as wide an inspection as possible of the channel in the vicinity of the scene of the accident.  -Otago Daily Times, 14/7/1863.

The Coroner's jury to enquire into the causes of the late melancholy accident, by which the Rev Mr Campbell and his family, and other persons, to the number in all, as at present ascertained, of twelve, met their death, concluded their sittings on Monday night last. The investigation was most patiently conducted, the witnesses examined, including every one who it was thought could throw some light, upon the tragic affair. The verdict, in substance, amounted to a charge of manslaughter against the captain and mate of the Favorite; to an implied censure upon the Captain of the Pride of the Yarra; and to an accusation of something like neglect of duty on the part of the authorities in not having enforced regulations which would have rendered the accident impossible. Captain Adams and his mate have since been arrested, and bail to a heavy amount has been fixed by the Coroner for their appearance to plead to the charge of manslaughter at the Supreme Court.  -Otago Witness, 18/7/1863.

Captain Malcolm, of the steamer Golden Age, has been presented with a very valuable Binocular Telescope, as an expression of the thanks of the survivors among the passengers by the Pride of the Yarra on the occasion of the late collision, for his kindness and attention in conveying them to town on the evening of the accident, and otherwise providing for their comfort. It is creditable to Captain Malcolm that, on that occasion, no other means of conveyance being afforded, he placed his vessel gratuitously at the service of the passengers, notwithstanding the inconvenience of doing so. and it is satisfactory to find that an acknowledgement of the kindness had not been omitted.  -Otago Daily Times, 23/7/1863.

No more bodies have yet been found from the wreck of the Pride of the Yarra. The wreck has been lifted and taken into shallow water.  -Press, 24/7/1863.

A fact has been communicated to us, in connection with the sad story of the late Mr and Mrs Campbell, which is worth recording:— Failing to get a promise of temporary accommodation at Park House, Mr and Mrs Campbell, accompanied by the Rev. Mr Edwards, went to Cooper's family Hotel, in the Octagon, and there engaged rooms. Having done so, Mr Campbell advised his wife to remain with Mrs Cooper while he went to Port Chalmers for the children, servants, and luggage; urging that she had already sustained too much fatigue, considering the delicate state in which she was. Mr Edwards backed the recommendation, saying that if she preferred it, she could walk across to the Parsonage and remain there. But Mrs Campbell was not to be persuaded. She must go down, she said, for she had already been long enough away from baby; and besides, she would be able to bring him up more comfortably than nurse could. And so she went, and was drowned by her husband's side, and with their children clinging around them.  -Otago Witness, 25/7/1863.

SATURDAY, 1st AUGUST,  At 12 o'clock. 
For the benefit of whom it may concern. 
McLANDRESS, HEPBURN AND CO. have received instructions from W. H. Reynolds, Esq., to sell by auction at their Rooms, Stafford street, on Saturday next, the 1st August, at 12 o'clock, for the benefit of whom it may concern. 
The WRECK of the Steamer PRIDE OF THE YARRA, with all her Machinery, Boilers, Rigging, &c., as she now lies in Arden Bay. Terms Cash.   -Otago Daily Times, 29/7/1863.
The wreck sold for 30 pounds.

Shipping Intelligence
A claim for salvage was heard and decided at the Resident Magistrate's Court on Thursday. Watson and Wheeler, the professional divers, had recovered some property and money to the value of L55, owned by Mr Collier, Port Chalmers, and lost by the late accident to the Pride of the Yarra. They requested some remuneration, but, being denied this, brought the action, and the Magistrate awarded a third of the property saved, amounting in value to Ll8 6s 8d.  -Otago Daily Times, 1/8/1863.

TENDERS required for taking Boiler and machinery out of the Wreck of the s.s. Pride of the Yarra at Ardent Bay, and placing the same above high water mark. 
The lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted.  
Tenders to be delivered to me on or before the 4th August. JAMES SMITH, Manse-street, Dunedin.   -Otago Daily Times, 3/8/1863.

The body found at Port Chalmers on Monday was interred yesterday in the burial ground there. Previous to interment it was recognised as that of Mr Frost, one of the sufferers by the Pride of the Yarra, by a brother of the deceased who happens to be residing in the Province, and who visited Port Chalmers on hearing of the finding of the body.  -Otago Daily Times, 16/9/1863.


PRIDE OF THE YARRA CATASTROPHE. (To the Editor of the Daily Times.)
Sir.— I see by yesterday's and to-day's newspapers that the body of the unfortunate man Frost has been recovered, and has received interment at Port Chalmers. But why has his remains been meanly and hurriedly buried away there, while here, in our cemetery, all the other victims in that sad catastrophe have received sepulture with almost regal pomp, and during a day of general and heartfelt mourning. Can it be that we give his remains the less honor because he was a rough hard-working citizen — perhaps unknown and friendless — surely not. I hope this has arisen through some oversight, and that his body will yet be placed beside those who were co-partners in his sad end.
That little group of graves in the Dunedin Cemetery shall stand as a monument of that awful night when the sad tidings of the collision came like a thick pall over the happiness of a people. Our children will in future years stand beside them, and remember their father or their mother telling them the sad story, which then they could not fully comprehend. How that one night, when they sat smiling and happy round the tea table, or were kneeling to repeat their evening prayer at their mother's knee,— an awful thing had happened, and that almost within sight of their own home, a dozen souls had, without notice, and in a moment's time, been hurled into eternity; and the victims of that sad night are all there at their feet, beneath those little grassy mounds, sleeping the sleep that knows no waking till the judgement morn. No, not all; there is one wanting: at the present, which I hope will soon lie beside the others.
Hoping these remarks may draw attention to the subject,
I am, &c,
D. M. S,
I understand, from a letter which appeared in your paper a few weeks ago, that Mr Frost has left a wife and a large family in Victoria entirely unprovided for. If this be true, surely the public of Dunedin will feel sufficient sympathy for the poor widow and fatherless "bairns" to do something — if not to cheer their sorrowful and drooping hearts - at least to assist and comfort them in their distress.  -Otago Daily Times, 24/9/1863.

News of the Week
Messrs. Watson and Wheeler, the divers, who with so much skill and care recovered the bodies from the wreck of the Pride of the Yarra, have received from the relatives of the late Rev. Mr. Campbell, a letter, of which the following is a copy — "In the name of the father, sisters, and all other the surviving relatives of the late Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, I must express our gratitude for the great skill, tenderness and care which we have heard that you showed in the performance of your sad duties to them and to their dear infants. The great respect and kindness has been our chief earthly consolation in this heavy sorrow which the hand of God has laid upon us. We have requested a friend to select from my dear brother's effects some little article of which me beg your acceptance as some little memorial of our gratitude and of the sad occasion.— I remain, faithfully yours, Gracia Anne Campbell."   -Otago Witness, 5/12/1863.

Hitherto it has been the subject of comment by many that there has been no engineering establishment at Port Chalmers whereby facilities could be afforded to the requirements of the many ocean steamers which visit our harbour. It has frequently been conjectured that one of the large Dunedin establishments would open a branch at the Port, thereby saving the steamboat community time and expense in coining to Dunedin, which, in small jobs, often exceeds the actual cost. This state of things, however, is now happily put an end to. Lately, the well known firm of Warden and Easton dissolved partnership, and the latter gentleman joined Mr McGregor, a practical engineer, who for sometime was employed in the intercolonial steamers. Shortly afterwards, the new firm bought a screw and turning lathe, as also the Pride of the Yarra's engine and boiler. The engine has been overhauled and renewed where required by Mr McGregor, and counter-balanced to equalise its motion so as to fit it for its present purpose of driving the machinery of the lathe. The latter is a superior piece of workmanship, manufactured by Messrs Crawhill and Campbell, of Glasgow, and competent judges assert that it is the best in the colony. It can turn a shaft 21 inches in diameter, and 10 feet in length, and is fitted with a full set of wheels and pinions for screw cutting, making it admirably adapted for colonial purposes. It is fully capable of satisfactorily meeting any demand that is likely to arise in the province, or of executing any marine work that may reach our port for repairs. There is also on the premises a small lathe worked by the same engine. On Saturday steam was got up, and the first practical work was done, everything working smoothly and well. Orders for wool screws, on the American principle, have been already received, and will be commenced this week. It is anticipated that the screws thus manufactured can be turned out at a cost considerably under that of the imported article. The name of Mr Easton, who has been long and favourably known in connection with the shipping blacksmith work of the Port, together with Mr McGregor's practical experience, should be a sufficient guarantee for the efficient manner in which work entrusted to their care will be carried out. They deserve great credit for being the initiators of the first engineering establishment at Port Chalmers; and it is to be hoped that the steamboat community will practically appreciate their enterprise.   -Otago Daily Times, 30/11/1868.

Easton and McGregor was the company which was engaged to assemble Dunedin's first two locomotives - the Josephine and Rose.  In 1875 the factory and its contents were sold off after the death of Mr McGregor.  It's possible that the Pride of the Yarra's boiler was bought by the Bauchop family for sawmill use.

The Port Chalmers Railway (excerpt)
As the line approaches Port Chalmers, more expansive bays have to be crossed, and, as at Pelichet Bay, additional precautions taken. At Curie’s Bay openings 15 feet wide, to be crossed on timber bridges, have been left, to allow the free rise and fall of the tide. Here are the remains of the unfortunate steamer, the Pride of the Yarra. The cabin stove, rusty and worthless, lies on the shore, and part of her side shows just above the water a sad momento of the gloomy tragedy connected with her memory.   -Evening Star, 9/5/1871.
It would seem that, by the time My Julian Thomas made his way to Dunedin, that the wreckage of the Pride of the Yarra had been removed either by humans or nature.  The scene of the tragedy was shown him, but nothing further.

DUNEDIN.  (excerpt)
(By "The Vagabond.")
From one of the letters of Mr Julian Thomaa in the Melbourne Argus we make the following extracts concerning his visit to our own city :—
Half-way to Dunedin [from Port Chalmers] there is pointed out to me the spot where, nearly 20 years age, the Pride of the Yarra sank, and the new rector of the High School, with his wife, children, and servants, was drowned in the port they had safely reached — one of ths most tragic events which has happened on New Zealand shores. Many years ago I passed some of my holidays in an English county town. I had previously made acquaintance with the nephew of the head master of the grammar school there, and spent many pleasant days in the house of the latter. He was a clergyman and Cambridge man, a deep scholar and thinker; still young, however, and with a sympathy for and a knowledge of the wishes and ambitions of childhood and youth. I remember — but as yesterday it seems — how kind the gentle lady, his wife, was to the stranger within her gates. I remember how we two boys played with the children, and our innocent sports, in which the rev. schoolmaster was no killjoy. Little one could reck of their sad fate then. Little I recked that I should ever see the spot where Mr Campbell and his family met their death, and pluck now from memory's depths grateful remembrance of his kindness to me. On the cemetery there on the hillside I shall see their graves, to which they were escorted by a grand public funeral. I shall place immortelles thereon, and breathe the wish requiescat in pace. There is a turn in the road, and Dunedin opens before us.   -Otago Daily Times, 5/6/1883.


  1. What is your source for the statement "It's possible that the Pride of the Yarra's boiler was bought by the Bauchop family for sawmill use" ?

    The "Otago Daily Times", Issue 1830, 11 November 1867, Page 4 reports "A few weeks ago, a boiler and machinery for a saw-mill were received at Port Chalmers from Invercargill by the schooner Danzig. Since then, the proprietors, Messrs Bauchop and Co., have had the whole fitted up and put in thorough working order in their timber-yard, George street."

  2. Hi there, thanks for your comment. My words on this - "it's possible" - were due to the timing of the selling off of the workshop and machinery and the setting up of Bauchop's steam milling operation. So it is surmise on my part - if I had a better source I would have stated it more firmly.

    I haven't yet covered the Bauchop milling operation but a relatively early story I have covered Arthur Bauchop who, had he survived, might have been NZ's first General Officer. And an interesting man he was.