Wednesday 6 January 2021

William Craig, 1856-28/1/1877.

An accident happened on Thursday to a young man named William Craig, in the employ of Messrs. Hayes and Kofoed, by which he is likely to be laid up for some time. It appears he was riding a young unbroken horse near Cobb's stables, when the noise of the tin kettling going on close by in honor of a wedding frightened the horse, and becoming restive, he threw Craig heavily on his head. Drs. Withers and Stewart were soon in attendance, and the sufferer was conveyed to the Hospital. From enquiries made late last night, we learned that he had not quite recovered consciousness.  -Tuapeka Times, 24/1/1877.


We are very sorry to be unable to report favorably of Mr William Craig, who was thrown from his horse last Thursday, and still lies in the Hospital in an insensible condition. The poor fellow has been unconscious since the accident, a most unusual thing, we believe, in accidents of this character. -Tuapeka Times, 21/1/1877.


We are sorry to state that William Craig, who was thrown from his horse last week, still lies in the hospital in a most critical condition; in fact, from inquiries made last evening, the doctors did not hold out any hope of his living through the night. Since the accident he has not recognised any one, neither has he taken any nourishment, if we except a little brandy and water passed through his lips on a feather. It is really astonishing how he has survived his injuries so long.  -Tuapeka Times, 27/1/1877.


We are sorry to have to announce that the young man, William Craig, who was fatally injured on the 18th inst., through being thrown off his horse, expired at the hospital last Saturday morning. Since the accident, Craig never recovered consciousness, not even recognising his mother and brother, and notwithstanding all that medical aid and motherly tending could do, the poor fellow succumbed to the injuries received. He was highly respected by his employers, Messrs Hayes and Kofoed, and leaves a number of sorrowing friends to mourn his untimely end. The remains of deceased were interred in the Havelock cemetery on Monday afternoon. The funeral procession was headed by members of the. Forester's Lodge, who accompanied the cortege for a mile along the Waitahuna road.  -Tuapeka Times, 31/1/1877.


INQUEST.

An enquiry into the death of William Craig, who met with an accident on the 18th January, was held in the Hospital on Monday morning, before E. H. Carew, Esq., Coroner. 

Inspector Thompson conducted the enquiry on behalf of the police. 

Mr McCoy having been chosen foreman, the jury then viewed the body. 

Henry Whitnell, being called, deposed:— I am a blacksmith, residing at Lawrence. At 10.50 p.m., on the 18th inst., I was in Ross Place, near Mr Fraer's shop. I heard a horse coming down the street, and when opposite the Colonial Bank, I heard a noise as though the horse shied. It was too dark for me to see the horse. James Logan, who was with me exclaimed: "There is a horse thrown his rider." I said: "Wait a minute and we will see." The horse then galloped past us without a rider. The horse was saddled and bridled. I believe it was the same horse I heard coming down the street. James Logan and I then took opposite sides of the street to see the horse pass, and then went back in the direction the horse came from. Logan found the rider first, and called out to me that he was lying on the street in front of the Colonial Bank. I recognised the man who had fallen as William Craig, I have seen the body now on view; it is the same. We lifted up his head, and when assistance came we carried him to the Royal George Hotel, and laid him on the sofa. We sent a messenger for the doctor. We poured water on his head whilst waiting for the doctor. Dr Stewart arrived about ten minutes after the accident. There was only one horse passed at the time of the accident, but a second one cantered past whilst we were searching for the man who fell. There would be a distance of about 50 yards between the two horses. When I got up to Craig, he was lying on his back, with his head in the direction of Wetherstones. It was a very calm night. Craig was insensible when we found him. 

By Inspector Thompson: I should judge the horse was coming at a tolerable fast canter when we heard the man fall.

James Logan was then called, and gave evidence as follows: I am a tailor, residing at Lawrence. On the evening of the 18th inst. I was in company with Henry Whitnell in Ross Place. My attention was attracted by the sound of a horse coming down the street at a canter. The body on view is the same that I found. Evidence was confirmatory of that given by Whitnell in every particular. 

By a juryman: I did not hear any noise likely to frighten a horse before the accident happened; it was perfectly still and quiet. 

Dr. Stewart was then examined, and deposed as follows: — I am a legally qualified medical practitioner, and reside at Lawrence. About eleven o'clock on the 18th inst., I was called upon to attend W. Craig, who was lying at the Royal George Hotel. I have seen the body now on view, it is the same as I was called upon to atlend. When I was called in he was unconscious. His pulse was very slow and weak. The surface of the body was pale and cold, and the pupils contracted. He was tossing about, and required restraint to keep him down. The symptoms were indicative of concussion of the brain. I prescribed for him. Externally, the only mark on the body, was an abrasion on the left ear. I thought it was a dangerous case, and therefore sent for Dr. Withers, who arrived shortly after. We continued a stimulatory course of treatment. He could then swallow with difficulty, but would not open his lips. He laid at the hotel until daylight, and was then removed to the hospital, and has never been conscious since, up to the time of his death at 1 p.m. on Saturday last. The immediate cause of death was concussion of the brain. Falling or being thrown from a horse would be likely to cause such an injury. I am acquainted with deceased. Have known him several years, he was 20 years of age. For some time past he had been employed at Messrs Hayes and Kofoed's brewery, Wetherstones.

Mr Hayes, in reply to the Coroner, said the deceased, W. Craig, was in my employ. I saw him alone about eight o'clock on the evening of the 18th inst. He was then standing at the corner of the Bank of New South Wales. He was perfectly sober at that time. He resided at Wetherstones, and slept on the brewery premises. When he met with the accident, I believe he was on his way home.

At the request of the jury John Kelso was then called, and deposed as follows: — I am a livery stable keeper residing at Invercargill. I know the deceased, W. Craig. I was in his company on the evening of the 18th inst. We left the Victoria Stables in company on that evening between 10.30 and 11 p.m. to go to Wetherstones. We were both on horseback. I held his horse whilst he got on, and then followed him. He was riding rather a skittish horse. The horse went away very quietly, and cantered down Peel-street. When I started I was probably 40 or 50 yards behind him. I walked my horse down the hill until I got in front of Mr Hayes. It was very dark, but I could hear the horses feet in front of me, and I cantered on steadily. When I got down Ross Place I caught sight of the horse, but could not then see he was without a rider. When I got in front of Mr Ferguson's house, on the Wetherstones Road, I went faster and got alongside of the horse. I then discovered that there was no rider on him. I caught the horse and walked back in the direction of Lawrence. I came as far as the Masonic Hotel. I asked Mr Bell if he had seen Craig, he replied in the negative. S. Sutcliffe then came along, and said that Craig had been been thrown. In company with Sutcliffe I then proceeded to search for Craig, and went as far as Shumate's hotel and Wetherstones, and not finding him again returned to Lawrence, when I ascertained that he was lying at Robert's Hotel. I went and saw him there. I have a clear recollection of what took place that night, and was perfectly sober. I had been with Craig on and off during the evening of the accident. Craig left Wetherstones with me at 7 pm. We had four drinks drinks together during the evening. Craig was perfectly sober when we left for home. Deceased was a good rider. He was quite in a fit state to ride the horse that night. I did not notice anything on the road likely to make a horse shy. It was very dark. The Jury then returned a verdict: — "That the deceased came to his death at Lawrence, on the 27th inst., through injuries sustained by being thrown from his horse on the 18th January."  -Tuapeka Times, 31/1/1877.


Since my last the district of Lawrence has been the scene of several deplorable accidents; one of them is more particularly to be lamented, as it has cost the life of a young man very generally liked and respected. I allude to William Craig, who was killed by a fall from a young horse. If what I heard in connection with the occurrence be true, I certainly must say that it proves how misplaced practical jokes can often lead to very serious results. Craig was on his way home to the Wetherstones Brewery, as I have been informed, when he met with a party of lads, who were "tin-kettling" a newly married couple. This caused the horse to start, and it threw him. The poor fellow never spoke till his death.  -Bruce Herald, 13/2/1877.



Waitahuna Cemetery.




No comments:

Post a Comment