Tuesday 28 November 2023

Robert McKissock, (1865-28/8/1882). "while coupling two trucks"


Balclutha, This Day. Robert McKissock, aged 17, a porter at Stirling, was killed at 8.30 this morning while coupling two trucks which were moving very slowly. One truck loaded with timber which projected over the end struck McKissock’s head and crushed it between the ends of the timber and the other truck.  -Marlborough Daily Times, 28/8/1882.


INQUEST.

The District Coroner, Dr J. G. Smith, held an enquiry on Tuesday into the circumstances which resulted in the death of Robert McKissock at the Stirling railway station on Monday morning. The deceased was only 17 years of age, and was the son of Mr John McKissock, who is a very old settler on Inch Clutha. The following gentlemen composed the jury: J. Petrie (foreman), J. Macdonnell, James McKinlay, Andrew Carson, David Thomson, John Lawrence, John Shepherd, Wm. Watts, David Crossan, Samuel Kirkness, Robert McCracken, and Allan Marshall.

The Jury having visited the house of Mr. McKissock, and inspected the trucks where the accident occurred, the following evidence was taken: —

Thomas Milroy: I am an engine-driver, and was driving the train on Monday morning when the deceased was killed. The train left Balclutha on Monday morning at 7.45, and arrived at about our usual time. We had one wagon loaded with timber to put off at Stirling, and three to put on. The wagon for Stirling was uncoupled — I can't say by whom when the guard opened the points and we went down towards the goods shed. There was a timber truck about 15 yards back on the north side of the goods shed; this we had to couple on to the train. We moved back to the wagon and stopped, then receiving a signal from deceased I moved about a yard further back. The next moment the fireman cried "the chap is killed," and jumped down at his side of the engine. I followed the fireman, and when I got along to where they were I saw the guard and fireman holding the man up in their arms. He only breathed for a short time afterwards. The guard called Henry, the station-master, who at once came up to the spot.

By the Jury: I did not see the man struck myself, but I suppose he was coupling-up at the time he was killed. My duty is to drive the engine but if I saw anything wrong with the loading of any of the trucks I would call the attention of some of the officials to it. McKissock was always looked upon as a smart young fellow, and liked by all who came in contact with him.

Michael Travers: I am a fireman, and was on the train which left Balclutha on Monday morning at 7.45. The train arrived at Stirling about the usual time, where we had three wagons to take on and one to put off. McKissock, the porter in charge, came to put them on, when the guard uncoupled the wagons where the one was to come off. We went down to the goods shed where the timber trucks were which we were to take on. The train went back to take on the wagons, and the deceased went in between the trucks to couple them up. The trucks came back and stood about a yard apart, and the hook did not drop in. I heard the deceased call out "come back." I moved the engine back about a yard or so and got the signal to stop. The guard cried out something, and I jumped off the engine and ran back, and found the guard holding up the deceased who was breathing heavily and bleeding about the face a good deal. I examined the loading of the trucks, and the ends of the timber projected too far for it to be safe for a man to go in between to couple — that is when the train is in motion. 

By the Jury: I cannot say whether the timber had shifted since it was loaded or not, but it would be safer to have what is called a runner when the timber projects. A runner is an empty truck. 

Abdey Hughes: I was guard on the train which left Balclutha on Monday morning at 7.45. We arrived at Stirling at about our usual time, when the deceased jumped on to my van and said that three trucks were going on which were standing on the goods shed road. I told him we had one coming off. He said, "We will require to shunt." I ran forward and uncoupled the trucks, and he went to the goods shed to lift the brake of the trucks which were going on. I then opened the points to let the engine into the siding. I followed the engine and saw her hit up a truck which was loaded with timber. I saw deceased go in between the trucks apparently to pull down the hooks. He then came out and gave the signal to come back, and also cried "come back," and as the engine came back I saw him go in between the trucks a second time. The trucks were on a slight curve, and I presume the hooks had not caught properly, and he went in to fix them. I would be about half the length of a truck from him at this time. I saw him fall across the line, when I at once gave the signal, and called "Stop!" then pulled him from under the wheel, when the fireman cams down and then the station-master. I have had a good deal to do with timber trucks, and I noticed nothing unusual about the loading of these. I have seen timber project quite as much as on this truck, without any runner being used with it. To uncouple a truck like this, I have often gone on my knees, but I consider it would be unsafe to uncouple a truck loaded as this one was while in motion. 

By the Jury; I have often seen timber projecting as far as it was on this truck, and consider it quite safe, so long as it is clear of the next truck. The train was moving so slowly at the time of the accident that I pulled him out before the wheel touched him — a distance of some two feet. If any person in the service goes in between two trucks while the train is in motion, he does so at his own risk. I have seen the station master at Dunedin caution the men about doing it. 

Lucien Henry, stationmaster at Stirling, gave evidence to the effect that there was nothing out of the usual method in the way the truck was loaded. He had measured the distance from the ends of the timber to the next truck and it was fully five inches, which he considered quite safe. He considered the deceased competent as regarded his duties as many a man who had been in the service for many years. He was a very active and careful young man.

The Coroner summed up, and the Jury returned a verdict — "That the said Robert McKissock was accidentally killed on the morning of the 28th August, 1882, while in the execution of his duty, in coupling two wagons. A piece of timber was projecting over the end of the truck, the same timber striking him on the head, thereby killing him." They added the following rider: — "That all timber trucks should be properly braced up with chains in place of rope. And also in cases where projecting over trucks a runner should be provided either in the station or when running."  -Clutha Leader, 1/9/1882.


Balclutha Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment