Tuesday 28 November 2023

Simon Conway, (1844-19/3/1893). "perfectly sober at the time"


The Inspector of Police received a telegram to-day stating that Simon Conway, licensee of the Farmers' Arms Hotel at Balclutha, is missing. Every search has been made for him, but no trace of him can be found. He has been drinking very heavily for the last three weeks, and it is feared that he has committed suicide by jumping into the well.  -Evening Star, 23/3/1893.


Mrs Conway writes to ask us to contradict the statement which has been made that Simon Conway had been drinking heavily for the past three weeks, and to say that he was perfectly sober at the time of his disappearance.  -Otago Daily Times, 22/3/1893.


Mysterious Disappearance. — There is as yet no trace of the missing man, Mr Simon Conway, who so mysteriously disappeared on Sunday, 19th inst. Mrs Conway is the more puzzled as her husband gave no intimation of being in trouble of any kind, except that he was a good deal worried over the depreciation of his hotel property in Roslyn owing to the refusal of the renewal of all licenses in that borough. From what I can learn, Mr Conway retired early on Saturday night, and although he slept in the same room with his wife, she did not hear him rise in the morning, and was surprised when she was awakened to find that he had left his bed. It is the general opinion here that he has made away with himself, and that he has sought solace for his troubles in the cruel waters of the Clutha. As a hotelkeeper he was well liked. He was a man of quiet and retiring habits, and did not mix much with the public. It is probable that the Licensing Committee will refuse the license to the hotel at next annual meeting, and that consideration might have added to his other troubles.   -Otago Witness, 20/3/1893.

ACCIDENTS AND FATALITIES

The inspector of police received a telegram this afternoon stating that the body of Simon Conway, late licensee of the Farmers’ Arms Hotel, at Balclutha, was found in the Clutha River at 11 a.m. to-day.   -Evening Star, 6/4/1893.


CORONER'S INQUESTS AT BALCLUTHA. 

TO THE EDITOR.

Sir, — In the public interest it is time, I think, attention was drawn to the manner coroner's inquests are conducted by the coroner for Clutha. I will only refer to one case, as an instance. On Thursday last, the body of Simon Conway, who mysteriously disappeared about a fortnight ago, was found floating in the Clutha river. On being informed, the coroner decided to hold an inquiry, and gave orders for a jury to be summoned to appear at the courthouse at 330 p.m. same day. At the hour named jurymen, witnesses, and deceased's relatives were in attendance, but to everyone's disgust there was no coroner. A painful wait then ensued, during which search was made for the missing official, who, some two hours later, was found. The jury was then empanelled, the body viewed, an order for burial made, and the inquest adjourned until to day (Monday). As this is by no means the first time similar vexatious delays have occurred, it becomes the duty of. the police officer in charge, in the interest of public decency, to lay the facts in the case I have referred to before the Minister for Justice. His duty is plain; let him do it. —I am, &c...  -Otago Daily Times, 11/4/1893.



INQUEST.

At the inquest touching the death of Simon Conway held on Monday the following evidence was led: — 

Ada Conway recognised the body in view as that of Simon Conway, her husband, who was born in Ireland, and had been about 30 years in the Colony, and was for the past two years licensee of the Farmers' Arms Hotel, Balclutha. I last saw him alive on Saturday, the 18th March, about 11 o'clock, when he came to his bedroom. I was then in bed. I then fell asleep, and awoke about 6 o'clock next morning. Deceased was not then in bed, and I did not hear him leave. I next saw him when his body was brought into the house on the 11th April. Previous to his disappearance the deceased had been in a despondent state of mind for a number of months since the appeal of the Roslyn licensing case. He had been drinking for about three weeks previous to his disappearance up to Thursday, the 15th March, when he stopped drinking. I did not notice anything peculiar about him up to then. After the Thursday he seemed to get into a nervous state, and could not sleep. I did not notice anything peculiar about the state of his mind. Deceased and I have lived a happy married life. I can only account for his death from the despondent state of his mind since the license was refused for his Roslyn property. He was not in any financial difficulties. 

Samuel Bushell said: I remember Saturday, the 17th ult. I saw deceased that evening between 7 and 8 o'clock. He was then sitting on the sofa in the dining-room. After having tea I went to the railway station. I remained there an hour and returned to the hotel. Deceased, when I returned about 9 o'clock, was attending to his business in the bar. I remained in the house until 11 o'clock, when I went to bed. Before retiring, while in the small parlour adjoining my bedroom, deceased asked me if I was going to bed. I said I was. He then bade me goodnight and left. This was the last time I saw him alive. I afterwards heard him going upstairs as if to bed. About 3 o'clock next morning I heard a footstep coming down the stairs, but I cannot say it was deceased, but at the time I thought it was he. For the previous fortnight I noticed deceased had been drinking, but on the Saturday he appeared sober and sensible. 

Hannah Taggart, housemaid, rose on the Sunday morning at 20 minutes to 7, and there was then a candlestick in the back parlour. The back door I found unlocked. It must have been unlocked between the time I went to bed (about 11 o'clock, when Mr Conway put the lights out) and arose. I do not know who unlocked it. The candlestick I found in the back parlour was the one that had been in Mrs Conway's bedroom the night before. During the time I have been housemaid at the hotel deceased and Mrs Conway have lived on amicable terms. Deceased had been drinking some time before his disappearance, but I did not notice anything peculiar about him further. 

William John Thompson, groom, said: Deceased had been drinking for a fortnight before his disappearance. I did not notice anything peculiar about him otherwise. I last saw deceased alive on Saturday morning, the l8th March. He seemed always annoyed about his Roslyn property. 

Thomas Girwood, barman at the Criterion Hotel, said: I was in the Farmers' Arms one night about the 4th March. I met deceased there; he had returned from the Dunedin races two days previously. Deceased wanted me to go into another room to see two gentlemen. He told me they had been talking of his Roslyn property, I declined to go in to see them. Deceased blamed Begg for his (deceased's) losing the license of his Roslyn property, and said he would shoot Begg. Deceased was very much excited, and picked up a glass and threw it at the lamp in the room. The glass missed the lamp, but I put out my hand and the glass struck it. Deceased never complained of any other occurrence, and seemed as if his mind was affected by it. He was distracted. I left deceased then. 

Duncan McFarlane, contractor, at present engaged in construction of the groin in the Clutha River at Inch Clutha, said: I was at work at the groin on Thursday morning last. Between 10 and 11 o'clock my son, who was working with me called my attention to a dark body fixed in the piles of the groin in about three feet of water. I entered a boat and rowed to the spot, and found it was the body of Simon Conway. I towed the body ashore and sent for the police. 

Andrew Christie, police constable at Balclutha, said: From information received on Thursday last I proceeded to the groin at Inch Clutha. I was there .shown the body of Simon Conway, late licensee of the Farmers' Arms Hotel, Balclutha. I searched the body and found a watch and chain, handkerchief, watchkey, and LI 6s 6d in silver. With the assistance of Mr McFarlane and his son I brought the body across the river and took it to the Farmers' Arms Hotel. 

The jury returned a verdict of "Found drowned."  -Clutha Leader, 14/4/1893.


Balclutha Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment