Wednesday 12 October 2022

James Alexander, 1830-2/1/1884

The friends of the late James Alexander will regret to see his obituary notice in this evening's issue. Dr. Maunsell telegraphed Mr R. J. Seddon this morning as follows: — "Alexander died this morning. He was progressing remarkably well until four days ago, when he got inflammation of the lungs and sank rapidly. His friends have been with him for the last week."   -Kumara Times, 2/1/1884.


THE LATE JAMES ALEXANDER.

From a letter received by Mr Seddon from Mr J, F. Andrews, Dunedin, we have been permitted to make the following extracts concerning the late James Alexander, afflicted with cancer in the jaw, and who was so well and generally known in this district. The writer says, under date December 24: There are only two visiting days to the Hospital, Sundays and Wednesdays. So last Sunday Mrs Andrews and I visited him, and found the operation of removing the jaw had been performed the day previous. His lower jaw had been completely removed, and he looked very weak and conld not articulate. His ward-mate told me he could speak pretty fairly in the early part of the morning. I did not care to disturb him, and was going away without speaking to him, but on being, told that it would not do him any harm to speak, I went up to him again. This time one of the patients told him I was there, and he immediately roused up and tried to get up in his bed, and I could just catch the words “Oh, my back!” very thickly pronounced. He appeared very anxious to say something to me, but I could not understand him; he coughed every now and then. I took him by the hand, poor fellow; and he smiled and tried to speak. I can assure you, my dear Seddon, it was a touching sight, and deeply affected me, knowing as I did that a few short years,ago I left him a strong hearty man in the prime and vigour of life, and a man who I don't believe did a wrong action in his life; he was one whom everybody liked. If all goes well I intend sending a Press telegram to the Kumara Times, giving a short account for the benefit of his old mates. I have just called up Dr. Maunsell through the telephone, and he tells me Jimmy is doing capitally and far better than he expected, and that he (Maunsell) has hopes of him. He further said his lower jaw was full of cancer. The doctors attribute it to a clay pipe.   -Kumara Times, 4/1/1884.

Northern Cemetery, Dunedin.

No comments:

Post a Comment