Saturday 13 July 2024

Charles Matthews, (1800-10/10/1864). "highly respected"

LUNACY. 

[Before J. Poynter, Esq., Resident Magistrate, and R. K. Newcome, Esq., J.P.] 

Charles Matthews was charged with having frightened a child, aged three years, son of Mr. Palmer, of the Wood. The boy, after being frightened by prisoner, ran into the house complaining of a pain in his head. Dr. Williams was called to attend him some days afterwards, and found him suffering from inflammation of the brain, this led to serous effusion, of which he died. 

Samuel Athanasius Cusack, being sworn, said: I have seen Charles Matthews, the prisoner. He is of unsound mind. I do not know why he is brought here to-day. He has previously been in the Asylum, under my charge. He is not fit to be at large, but ought to be kept under some restraint. I should recommend his being sent to the Gaol. He is likely to become dangerous to himself or others unless taken care of. 

George Williams (after examining the prisoner) being sworn, said: I have seen the prisoner Charles Matthews. He is quite insane. It is my opinion that he should be put under restraint. It is not likely that, at his age, he will ever become better. I have heard of several cases of his being troublesome. I have attended a clhld of Mr. Palmer, in the Wood. He died of effusion on the brain. I cannot say confidently that this was the effect of fright. It may have been. I should recommend the prisoner being sent to the Lunatic Asylum. 

Christian Sixtus, being sworn, said: I live near Charles Matthews, the prisoner. I see him nearly every day. He seems to be of a wandering mind. He sometimes fancies he is in England. I have often spoken to him, but he does not recognise me. He sometimes asks me if I have been here long, and who I am. I saw him last Sunday rambling in the street with only one boot and his shirt on, and a broom in his hand. He spoke to me, but he mumbled, and I could not understand what he said. I was intimate with him when he was sane. 

The Magistrate: Mrs. Matthews, when your husband was brought up before, you promised faithfully that he should be looked after. I am sorry for it, but must send him to the Asylum again. If you can make arrangements to have him always looked after, an order may be got to have him out again. 

To a question from the Magistrate as to the accommodation of the Lunatic Asylum, Dr. Cusack, as appears in his evidence, recommended that the prisoner should be sent to the Gaol in preference to the Asylum, as there was no suitable accommodation for him in that establishment. The other patients (all females) would have to be locked up while he took exercise, and Matthews would be confined while the women were walking. 

The Magistrate said, that a sum of money had been voted for the Asylum which should have been expended, and the building put in better condition.  -Colonist, 6/5/1864.


I am not completely sure that the "Colonist" story and the gravestone are connected.  Eliza, Charles' wife, was alive when he was committed.  If they are, Charles would have died only months after admission to the asylum.


Wakapuaka Cemetery, Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment