Wednesday 17 July 2024

Samuel Adams, (1845-30/7/1883). "a most dreadful tragedy"

TERRIBLE TRAGEDY.

Murder and Suicide. 

[by telegraph.] Nelson, To-day. 

Between six and half-past this morning a most dreadful tragedy was at the Nelson gaol. At present it is impossible to gather all the particulars, but it appears that the only warder in charge, Samuel Adams, must have allowed John Davidson, the prisoner serving a life sentence for the manslaughter of Denis Quinlan at Lyell, to leave his cell, probably to enable him to go to work in the kitchen. Davidson appears to have been looked on as a very quiet man, for no special precautions were taken with him. After he was sentenced he seems to have been so docile as to have averted any apprehensions of his becoming violent Adams, after liberating the prisoner, went into the yard, and then came the dreadful deed. The prisoner was left without control, and probably seized with a desire to escape, he seems to have taken a tomahawk and smashed in the guardroom door. That done he seized a couple of loaded revolvers, and with one hastened to the yard where poor Adams was, and to have shot him through the head. Of course the deed was unwitnessed, but from the surrounding circumstances this would appear to be the course he pursued. The noise of the revolver awakened Mr Shallcross, the gaoler, and Mrs Shallcross, aid both having but an indistinct idea that there was something wrong, hastened into the gaol. In the corridor they were met by Davidson with two revolvers, which he was presenting. The gaoler spoke to the man firmly but kindly to induce him to retire. Mrs Shallcross asked him where Adams was. To this prisoner said, “Oh, yes, he’s in the yard all right.” Mrs Shallcross then entreated him to lay aside the weapons, and he parleyed for a considerable time and appeared to be somewhat pacified. He then demanded of Mr Shallcross that he should let him pass and escape from the gaol, and though unarmed the gaoler opposed him. Davidson then spoke of the Lyell murder, making a charge against the woman concerned therein, and asserting his own innocence, and while Mr and Mrs Shallcross were doing all they could to pacify him, the man put one of the revolvers in his mouth and in an instant fired and was dead. Adams came here from Wellington recently, and had a wife and four children, the youngest being two months old. 

Later.

Mr Shallcross, the gaoler, was very reticent this morning, but it now appears that the warder, Samuel Adams, was stabbed in the back of his head and also in the abdomen by Davidson, who was employed in the gaol as cook. He used one of the kitchen knives. The event has caused a great sensation here, and the authorities are greatly blamed. An inquest is being held this afternoon.  -Ashburton Guardian, 28/71883.


Shocking Tragedy at the Nelson Gaol.

DAVIDSON MURDERS ADAMS AND SHOOTS HIMSELF. 

At an early hour on Saturday morning the news that a dreadful tragedy had taken place at the Nelson Gaol commenced to spread, and that it was the cause of the greatest consternation is not to be wondered at. We at once took steps to obtain reliable information on the subject, and as soon as we could get our. staff together issued an extra containing an account of the dreadful occurrence, which though at fault in some details, was substantially correct. In our present issue we are able to give the evidence taken at the inquest, and from this will be learnt most of the details. It will be observed that the unfortunate warder Samuel Adams liberated Davidson from his cell at ten minutes to 6 in order that this prisoner, who was employed as cook, might light the fires and proceed with his work. The warder then entered the small yard approached from the passage to the left of the main corridor; and it seems that immediately afterwards he was attacked by Davidson, who had armed himself with a long butcher's knife, to which he, as cook, had access. After stabbing the Warder in a frightful manner, Davidson entered the officers' room, broke open a cupboard, in which the arms are kept, and, after firing one shot from a revolver he had taken from this cupboard entered the corridor, where he was met by Mr Shallcrass. It seems almost incredible after the bloody deed he had just enacted, that this villain did not by violence remove the sole remaining obstacle to his escape by using his revolver, but probably the courage shown by Mr Shallcrass, in facing the man who presented a revolver at him and threatened his life unless he allowed him to escape, had the effect of cowing the cowardly murderer. At all events, the coolness shown by the Gaoler is .highly commendable. For 50 minutes Mr Shallcrass kept Davidson parleying, but in the meantime a messenger had been despatched for a policeman, and Constable Roscoe was called from the Station at 25 minutes past 6. On his arrival at the Gaol, Mr Shallcrass and Warder White, who had arrived shortly before, were in the corridor facing the prisoner, and just as the Constable looked through the barred gate Davidson shot himself. Directly he fell Mr Shallcrass, and Warder White ran to see where Warder Adams was. They seem to have thought that poor Adams had simply been locked up by Davidson in a cell, though after a scream had been heard as well as a shot from a revolver it might not have been unnatural to fear a worse fate. However, they soon learnt the worst, for there, within a few feet of where Davidson had taken up his position lay the murdered man. Nothing more could then be done. On the news becoming general the excitement in town was very great. As long sentence prisoners are now generally — we should have said always —removed to Wellington at once, it was generally thought that Davidson, who was tried a month since for the murder of Dennis Quinlan and sentenced to imprisonment for life, had been sent away, and when it was found he had been kept with men imprisoned for minor offences, the authorities were greatly blamed for keeping a dangerous prisoner, and one who had before attempted suicide in a gaol here frequently but one warder was on duty. That such a man as Davidson should have been allowed to act as cook and permitted access to dangerous weapons was also looked upon, and justly so, as most culpable: but the more general feeling was one of sympathy for the widow and four fatherless children of Warder Adams, who bore a most excellent character, and who had been engaged as warder in the Old Country and in this for a period of 17 years. The remains of the poor fellow will be buried this afternoon. We may add that the murderer and suicide Davidson was interred yesterday morning just without the cemetery grounds. On Saturday morning steps were speedily taken to hold 

THE INQUEST.

On Saturday afternoon an inquest was held at the Gaol before Dr Boor, Coroner, and a jury composed of Messrs D. McDonald, J. Holloway, G. Gillow, J. H. Cock, F. St John, W. Haddow. T. Scott, W. Young, W. E. Farrar, A. N. Batchelor, W. Black. S. B. White, and Captain W. H. Webb; the first named gentleman being Foreman. 

The jurors having been sworn, the Coroner addressing them said he believed the evidence was tolerably clear, except in respect to Samuel Adams. There no doubt, apparently, that he was killed in a struggle, but no one saw the blows, and it was only assumed that a certain weapon had been used. It would be for the jury to say whether the act had been done by himself or anyone else, in the case of Davidson it was quite clear that he had killed himself. That being so, they would have to consider in what state of mind he was when he did the act. In each case they would have to find a separate1 verdict. The jury then proceeded to view the bodies, and the localities where the deeds were done, after which 

Dr Hudson deposed: I am a duly qualified medical practitioner residing in Nelson. I was requested this day to make a post mortem examination of the' body of Adams, and I also examined Davidson. Davidson was about 35 to 40 years of age. I found a large wound in the palate of his mouth, as if caused by a bullet. The face had been washed, so there were no marks of powder. There was no second wound. On turning the body over on to the face to examine the back of the head a quantity of blood flowed out of the mouth. The wound was of such a nature as would cause death, and in my opinion, did cause death. If there had only been wadding in the gun or firearm used I do not think it would have caused such a wound. The bullet has not been probed for; there is no doubt it. is still in the head" The second body (Adams') was that of a man of about 40 years of age, who was I recently dead, the body still being warm. Externally there were six wounds, all inflicted I believe, by a knife. There were two small cuts on the left forearm about an inch and a half long. They were quite superficial having just penetrated the skin. There was a scalp wound at the back of the head four inches long. It did not injure the bone, and there was an angular cut proceeding from it of one inch long. There was a deep stab at the back of the neck an inch long, and extending down between the muscles of the back for four or five inches. This wound would have bled very profusely, as it would separate a number of large arteries, but no vital structure was touched. There was another large wound to the left flank three inches long, out of which his bowels were protruding, and there was a wound in the back opposite and between the eighth and ninth ribs where the knife had passed out, notching the bone. On examining the wound more particularly I found it had cut through the intestines, and the spleen was wounded, the diaphragm was cut through, and the lower lobe of the left lung was also cut through, numerous arteries were divided, and hemorrage was very free into the cavity of the body. There were cuts in the flannel shirt corresponding with these two wounds. The wounds in the back and flank and the internal injuries were caused by one stab. The knife produced would inflict such wounds as those I found. I believe death was from bleeding. The bleeding alone was very large, and was sufficient to cause rapid death. I could not say which wound was first inflicted. I think the wounds on the head, and the back of the neck were both inflicted at the same time. 

By Mr Haddow: It would not have been possible to save his life if aid had been at hand immediately. 

Robert Shallcrass deposed: I am Gaoler at the Nelson Gaol. The deceased Samuel Adams was Warder at the Gaol, and was 39 years of age. The body on which Dr Hudson made the post mortem was that of Samuel Adams. The deceased, John Davidson, was a prisoner, and was 38 years of age. This morning at about ten minutes before six I heard a loud scream or screams. At that time I thought they came from the outside, and afterwards a noise which I have no doubt was the report of a pistol. I jumped out of bed, put. on my trousers and slippers, and came down; When I got about half-way along the passage or corridor by which you enter the Gaol, I had previously unlocked the iron gate with the key I had with me, Davidson suddenly appeared from the cross passage to my left and stood before me in the archway. I was about eight paces from him. He had a revolver in his right hand, and said, "If you come another, step forward I'll shoot you." Open that door (pointing to the front door),and let me out." I told him I would do nothing of the kind, and he said, "If you do not I will shoot you." I then commenced to reason with him, telling him that if he got out he would not be able to make his escape, that if he got out he would be hunted down by the police and be worse off than at present, that he was far better off in his present position. He continued threatening what he would do if I did not let him out, and had the pistol pointed at me. I then told him I did not believe he would do anything of the kind. He repeated his threat. I then set him talking of his own grievances, and he related a great deal in reference to himself, Mrs Gramaticus, and the Lyell murder. I was alone all this time, but Mrs Shallcrass came down shortly after, having heard the female prisoner talking. I then asked where Mr Adams was, and what he had done with him. He said, "Oh, he's all right." So we went on parleying for a long time, for fifty minutes by the clock till twenty minutes to seven. I once told him I could shoot him if I had a disposition to do so, for I had a revolver close at hand. He said. " Shoot; I'll stay here, and be glad if I'm shot." I said "No, if your life is to be taken, I would rather you take it yourself than me." During all this time he put the pistol to his head repeatedly, and said he was going to shoot himself. Mr White, the principal warder, then arrived, at about 25 minutes past six. He had not been sleeping in the Gaol, for it was not his turn to do so. Mrs Shallcrass let him in through the dwelling house, and when he got into the corridor Davidson saw him, and said; "I'm sorry I can't shake hands with you, White, before I go." Mr White endeavored to expostulate with him for some time, and at length Davidson drew back to the wall and put the pistol up to his mouth, but the cap snapped and did not go off. He then examined the pistol, put it to his mouth a second time, discharged it, and fell dead on the floor; I then rushed up to see where Mr Adams was; expecting to find him locked up in one of the cells. I turned round by the left into the yard, and expected to find him in one of the two cells on the right of the yard, as I heard a bolt drawn just before I saw Davidson. On entering the yard, I saw Adams lying quite dead on the concrete floor. I saw he was wounded on the head, and there was a quantity of fluid blood under the head and shoulders. I noticed a wound on the left flank, with the intestines protruding. Mr White was alone with me in the yard. One of the cells in the yard was occupied by a man named Albert Victor Mercene, who came in yesterday, This prisoner could not see into the yard, and he did not appear to know anything about the affair. Had he been awake he could have heard anything going on. He was up and dressed when I went to him directly after. In reply to my enquiries as to whether he had heard anything, he said no he only heard a scuffle in the yard, nothing else. There were three white prisoners in the cells in the corridor where Davidson and I were, they were Bowe, Hodgson, and Busch. Davidson shook hands with two of then in my presence just before he shot himself. Before that I left to go into my office thinking if I got my revolver it would have an effect, and Mrs Shallcrass was standing there when he shook hands with Hodgson and Bowe. He had been working for some time with both these men. I was out of Davidson's sight a moment or two. He had given up the idea of shooting me then. I believe he was aware that Adams was dead, for he could, see him from where he stood, and I saw his eyes directed towards the spot where Adams was several times. I thought he was looking to see that Adams did not get out of the cell. Mrs Shallcrass came into the corridor before White, and while I was talking to Davidson she came just on the step. She drew back when Davidson stepped forward to shake hands with Hodgson. He said, "Oh, I'll not hurt a hair of your head." I did not see him shake hands. I an not sure whether White was there then. I afterwards had the bodies removed to the carpenter's shop. Davidson was employed as cook in the Gaol, and had been so since May 18. He came into the Gaol on the 15th March. He behaved himself very well indeed. I never wish for a better man in Gaol, always orderly, civil, and obliging to everyone. He always agreed with his fellow prisoners,  which is a rare thing to get a cook to do. He never showed any sign of mental aberration, and never had the medical officer called in to him except when he came in, when he had a cut in his throat. Last Wednesday he was seen by the medical officer who had to give a certificate that his health was fit for him to be removed. When he first came into the Gaol he was closely watched. He then seemed very depressed, probably owing to the loss of blood. Even his boots and handkerchief were taken from him at night. After the first month he wanted to make himself useful. Was employed in odd jobs during the second month he was here. He was quite trustworthy; he never quarrelled with Adams or anyone. He never quarrelled with any of the prisoners. On the 18th May, a month before his trial, he was made cook. This morning it was Adams' duty to call Davidson. Davidson had access to al1 the knives and forks. The knife produced was picked up by Mr White, under Davidson's body in the corridor. There was little sign of a struggle in the yard, but the concrete would not show signs of a struggle. Adams' coat was there. I believe Davidson had searched it for keys. A key was found by Mr White in the gate leading from the yard into the garden, but that was a key of one of the inner doors, and would not open that gate. That key should have been in the possession of Adams. The keys of the two outer doors were in my possession, as they always are at night. During my conversation in the corridor with Davidson he slipped back for a moment after threatening me if I moved, and returned with a second revolver, which he held in his left hand for the remainder of the time. I only saw one before. These revolvers were kept in the Officers' Armoury, which is a cupboard in the Officers' room, and where the arms in daily use are kept, but the revolvers are kept out of sight. I don't think Davidson knew they were there. I was surprised to see Davidson with the revolvers. After finding Adams, I went to the Officers' room, and found the right hand panel of the Armoury had been wrenched off. The revolvers found in Davidson's hands were taken from the Armoury. Mr White picked the revolvers up. Two chambers had been discharged in one, and one in the other. I believe he fired two shots to test whether they were loaded. I heard one just after I was awakened, and the other as I came down stairs before entering the corridor. The revolvers have five chambers, and are always kept loaded. Davidson has occasion to enter the Officers' room, to light the fire, and could see the Armoury, but it is kept locked. He would enter the room after being let out of his cell. Davidson seemed alarmed at going to Wellington. He said if he had been sent he would have jumped overboard. I told him to lay down his revolvers and he could have a chance of jumping overboard. I think the knowledge of his being about to be removed influenced him. He made no objections at the time he first learnt he was goings. He shook hands with the two prisoners because he intended to take his life. They knew his intention, because they heard all he said. I knew of no objection on his part to go to Wellington till this morning, when he said he knew he would be under a couple of Irish warders. He seems to have bad a great dislike to Irishmen. I said you have been under an Irishman ever since you have been here, and you have had no fault to find with him, I am sure. He said, No, but you can't tell how it would have been if there had been two of them. After that he said he intended to jump over-board on the passage. I don't think he said a word between the snapping of the cap and his actual shooting himself. It is necessary that a prisoner should be employed as cook. When he was first made cook he was the only man here, except Maoris, who did not understand English. I never applied to have him removed. All long sentence prisoners are now sent to Wellington. I have a warrant for his removal to Wellington, and a warder had been told off from the Mount Cook Gaol to take him over, but the delay of the Wallace prevented him. I was afraid to send the man out to work, for we have only one warder for the gang. 

Mr Scott: I should like to know why no attempt was made by Mr Shallcrass and Mr White to disarm him? 

Mr Shallcrass: Did you see where we were standing? See what you can do with a pistol pointed in your face at close quarters. 

Henry White deposed: I am the principal warder in the Nelson Gaol. I came on duty at half-past six this morning. Mrs Shallcrass requested me to come through the dwelling house. She had previously called out to me to hurry up. She told me that prisoner Davidson had locked Warder Adams up, and had got Mr Shallcrass covered with revolvers. I went into the lobby, and Mr Shallcrass was standing near the second cell door, and prisoner Davidson in the archway, having a revolver in each hand. I did not see him point them at Mr Shallcrass. As soon as I made my appearance Davidson told me to "Stand or else I'll shoot you." I went no further. He had a conversation with Mr Shallcrass, who advised him to put the revolvers down. He said "What's the use, I have got a sentence for life, but I don't mean to serve it out, and if I go to Wellington I mean to jump over the steamer's side." I was there twenty minutes. Several times Davidson asked Mr Shallcrass to shoot him. He moved to the right and left occasionally, but he did not absent himself altogether. At the latter end he said he should blow his brains out. He put the revolver in his mouth. Before doing so he said good-bye to us — Mr Shallcrass, Mrs Shallcrass, and myself. I saw him draw the trigger, but it missed fire. Immediately after he changed revolvers, put the one that was in his left hand in his right hand. Before he put it in his mouth he again said good bye, and he then discharged it and fell dead. We at once went to see where Mr Adams was, and found him lying in the yard on the broad of his back dead. I afterwards went to examine Davidson, and found the two revolvers produced and the long sharp butcher's knife produced. I found the knife lying down on the right of him, close to the wall in the side passage. It must have been in sight while we were standing, but I did not see it by the gaslight. Davidson never said a word about suicide. There was no ill-feeling between him and Warder Adams. Davidson was in his usual mood when I left last night. Adams had never reported Davidson. Davidson's behaviour has been very good. 

George Rowe, a prisoner, deposed: Last night I was sleeping in the next cell to the end one off the corridor. I knew a prisoner named Davidson. During last night all was quiet till about a quarter to 6 as near as I can guess. I then heard a tussle in the yard, but no voice. It lasted about two or three minutes, and after that I heard footsteps in the passage. I heard groans, and I believe it was groaning that woke me. The footsteps I heard proceeded to the officer's room. I then heard a noise; as though someone was breaking open a door; that lasted about a second, and then I heard the report of a pistol fired inside the building, apparently from the officer's room. I then heard steps passing to and fro between the Officer's room and the yard, and directly after, Mr Shallcrass came in. Davidson told Mr Shallcrass that if he came further he would be a dead man, or something to that effect. Mr Shallcrass told him not to be foolish he said: "Lay down your arms; don't be foolish." There there was a long, conversation, which went on for nearly an hour. Davidson said his heart was too full; he could not be quiet. Davidson said he would take his own life, and he said good-bye before he fixed the cap. I heard Mr Shallcrass ask Davidson whether he had locked Adams up.. Davidson replied that he had locked Adams up, and he was safe enough. The first shot missed. He shook hands with me, but I could not hold his hand. I could only touch the tips of his fingers. I thought if I could have caught his hand I might have held him till someone sprung upon him. He went down the passage to Hodgson's cell I think. I never heard any words between Davidson and Warder Adams and I never heard Davidson say he would try to get out. He told me he was glad he was going to Wellington, that there would be more company there. Davidson has always been orderly in gaol. During the conversation between Davidson and Mr Shallcrass I heard Davidson ask Mr Shallcrass for the keys, which Mr Shallcrass refused to give up. Davidson spoke about going to Wellington last Monday or Tuesday. He never complained of any ill-treatment, and I don't think he could 

Albert Victor Mordancy, was called into the room but not examined on oath. In reply to the Coroner he said he heard a noise as of someone fighting in the yard. He also heard some speaking in the corridor, but could not hear what was said. 

The Coroner said that the evidence mentioned that Mrs Shallcrass was present in the corridor but as Warder White was present ha did not think it necessary to call her. 

The jury having acquiesced, the Coroner said that in considering their verdict, if they were satisfied that Davidson killed Adams, they would have to bring in a verdict of murder. They would, however, have also to consider what was the state of Davidson's mind at the time, for if he was not sane then the murder could ;not have been willful and felonious, and they would also consider this matter in bringing in their verdict as to the death of Davidson. The jury then, without retiring, gave their verdict, "That Samuel Adams was willfully murdered by John Davidson, and of felo de se against John Davidson for taking hits own life."

The jury then discussed the propriety of adding a rider. One juror suggested they should express their appreciation of the courageous stand taken by Mr Shallerass, and others suggested a rider recommending that in future firearms should be kept in a more secure place. A third recommendation suggested was that prisoners of such a character as that of Davidson should not be employed in the capacity of cook. Ultimately the jury resolved to adjourn till today to consider their rider.   -Colonist, 30/7/1883.


A Case for Assistance. — We learn that the wife and family of Mr Samuel Adams, the unfortunate warder who was murdered on Saturday morning, are left wholly unprovided for. There is no doubt the Government will do something to provide for the family of this officer who was killed while executing his duty; but a number of gentlemen who desire to supplement anything that may be done by the Government intend starting a subscription to aid the widow. If any of our readers are desirous of sending contributions to this office we shall be glad to acknowledge the same and hand them over to the Treasurers of the relief fund.  -Colonist, 30/7/1883.


Wakapuaka Cemetery, Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment