Tuesday 19 September 2023

8/1725 Private Ernest Davis, 11/10/1894-9/8/1915. "a fine cheerful mate"

THE ROLL OF HONOR

Private Ernest Davis reported missing on August 10th and now believed to have been killed, was a native of Clyde and a general favourite wherever he went. His was a quiet, unassuming and kindly disposition, and it is not surprising to hear that he was popular with his soldier mates. Writing to Mrs Davis, Private B Appleton (an old Alexandra boy, who enlisted from Clyde) says: — I understand how you must feel about dear old Ernie. I led that I have lost the best pal I had with me from our own district as we stuck together all the time and I found Ernie to be a fine cheerful mate no matter what was doing. After we joined our own regiment on the peninsular things went along steadily until the beginning of August, when there was a big attack and we had a pretty warm time of it. The first night we started for the Turks positions about 9.30 and things were too busy to see who was next to you but just at dawn Ernie and I came together on the top of a steep ridge. We were both pleased to see each other but had to keep going until we got to a higher ridge in front. There was an awful racket all the way and how we got there makes me wonder. Things quitened somewhat as we got into position, and could get a better chance to defend ourselves. Here Ernie and I got together again. It was Saturday morning and how proud we felt to be among the boys on a ridge we had looked at so long from our old position. We were dead beat and our water bottles empty but too excited to think of anything. We got orders to dig in as fast as possible as we had not much cover and the Turks who were in good positions a bit further away which they had made in readiness kept sniping at us. We got some water and rations up and hung on till Sunday night when orders came to advance to a place on our right front. We got there without firing at all as it was dark and we could hear the Turks talking not far away. There men came up quite close as we were all lying with our rifles ready and not making a sound and were not seen. It was a painful suspense but the order to fire came, and what a volley we poured out. Not a Turk reached our lines, so we knew how our firing took effect. Some of us were ordered out to the right to extend the line so I did not see Ernie again, as he was not among the number that went out. Monday found us with our shallow trenches dug as we had not much time at night to dig as the Turks kept attacking. The result was that many of our boys were hit Monday morning while we were trying to dig deeper down. On Monday after dark some home regiments the 10th Manchester I think came up to relieve us and all our boys went back to the reserve for a spell, and we needed it. It was then that I missed many of my mates Ernie among them and how I did feel it. The Turks attacked very heavily on Monday night about 11 30 after the Tommies took over our places and managed to force them back to another trench that they had taken the first night. We all felt bad about it, but could do nothing as the Turks had brought up so many men. That is all I know of the affair and it is hard for me to write to you, but for Ernie's sake I feel that I must give you all the information I cam You will see that he always did his duty and was as good a comrade as a man could wish to have. I am sorry for not writing sooner but I was too ill tor a long time and only wrote a few lines to my Mother at times. I was sent away from the peninsula about August 16lh with fever and was at Malta for a time, and I am getting well again and expect to go out again before long. 1 hope this war is soon over. I do not wish to be hard but it is my duty to tell you that it is my firm belief that dear Ernie was killed that Sunday night I mentioned.  -Dunstan Times, 14/2/1916.


The Defence Authorities have notified Mrs Davis, of Clyde that (after exhaustive inquires) her son, Ernest Davis, reported missing on August 9th last, is now believed to have been killed. Poor Ernest, he, like many other brave lads, has made the great sacrifice, and given his life for his country, He was a general favourite locally, and as a mark of respect to his memory, the Town Hall flag was flown yesterday.  -Dunstan Times, 3/4/1916.

Ernest's Army record contains the words "reasonable to assume killed in action" as the result of a Court of Enquiry in Egypt after the evacuation from Gallipoli.


Clyde Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment