Friday 7 June 2024

Eliza Crocome, (1839-21/6/1857). "the left ear"


CORONER'S INQUEST.

A Coroner's Inquest was held at the Royal Hotel, Dunedin, on Tuesday last, to enquire into the death of Eliza Crocome, a half-caste, who died rather suddenly on Sunday last. 

Dr. Robert Williams, surgeon, gave the following evidence: — I was called in to attend Eliza Crocome on the 16th instant. She appeared to me to be suffering from an attack of common fever. She complained of great pain in the head, and the other usual symptoms of fever. She said she had had a slight earache. She had no discharge from the ears at that time. I prescribed the usual remedy, and saw her again on Wednesday the 17th. I gave her an aperient medicine. I saw her again on Thursday. She said an abscess had burst in her ear. She had been much relieved by it, and considered herself nearly well. She was sitting in Hare's house nursing a child, and appeared cheerful. She requested me to charge her with my attendance, and not to charge Mrs. Jones. She said she did not require any further attendance; she thought she would do very well. I gave her advice as to the treatment of the ear to prevent the discharge coagulating. I acquainted Mrs. Jones with the state I had left deceased in. I said it was not necessary to see her again. Mrs. Jones requested me to call in again and see her, until she was recovered. I was called away to Port Chalmers, and being detained there, I did not see her again. She was dead before I came back. I think it was the right ear. I am of opinion that the cause of death was the bursting of an abscess on the brain. I have known cases of abscesses formed on the brain without anything to lead to the supposition that they existed. Abscesses on the brain are often particularly obscure. I attended deceased about twelve months since, when she had much the same symptoms, and they all passed off and she was able to work. The abscess might have been forming then. Death invariably ensues from the bursting of such an abscess. I observed no external marks or bruises on the head, nor did she complain of any. Mrs. Jones stated something to the effect that she was an idle girl, and that she was lying down to the illness. As far as I can recollect, I remarked, "She has been too well fed, and you know these half-castes are always idle. She is fevered now, but the medicine will relieve her." She was in bed the first two days I visited her at Mr. Jones's house. On the third day she was at Mr. Hare's, where, I believe, she had walked. 

Margaret Hare, wife of James Hare, labourer, Dunedin, being sworn, stated — Eliza Crocome came to my house on Thursday last, the 18th instant, about 11 o'clock. She asked to be allowed to lie down on the sofa. I was not in the house when she came in. I followed in about a quarter of an hour. She was sent to my house for me to nurse. She slept on the sofa. She complained of her head. She was sick when she took food. She was dressed by me every day and then she lay down. She slept during the day, but she could not sleep at night. I sat up with her three nights. She made no complaint. She said she would like to see her father. She gave no reason for wanting to see her father. That was on Saturday morning. I saw her at Mr. Jones's house. She had no bruises on the face. She had three spots like mortification. The spots were black. They did not look like bruises. They were round spots, like sun-freckles. I gave her a dose of salts by the Doctor's orders. This was on Thursday. She complained of earache, and her ear ran. I am not certain, but I think it was the, left ear. She died on Sabbath night, about 11 o'clock. My daughter was attending her. My daughter called me, and when I got, up I saw her give a gasp or two, and die. There was a discharge of white matter from the mouth. There was an offensive smell from the discharge from her ear. I put some wool and oil in the deceased's ear by the Doctor's orders. I think it was the left ear.

The Coroner expressed his conviction that the cause of death had been the bursting of an abscess on the brain; but, if the jury wished for further evidence, he would order a post mortem examination. He, however, thought it unnecessary.

The Jury, after a short consultation, decided that a post mortem examination was not necessary; and returned a verdict "That the deceased Eliza Crocome died from natural causes."  -Otago Witness, 27/6/1857.

Eliza's mother, Arapera "Arabella" Ruaneka is also buried at Arthur st.  She was born around 1820 and married Dr Joseph Crocome at Waikouaiti in 1844. They had four children before Arapera's death in 1850.



Arthur Street Cemetery, Dunedin.





No comments:

Post a Comment