Tuesday 17 October 2023

Patrick Joseph Halligan, 1841-22/9/1868. "the unsparing hand of death"


Another much-esteemed resident has been removed from our midst by the unsparing hand of death. Yesterday morning Mr P. J. Halligan, of the well-known firm of Mulligan and Halligan, diapers, departed this life. He had been suffering from indisposition, and was under the treatment of Dr Dcrmotl for some days previous to his demise; and on Monday night he felt rather worse, and seemed to be very feverish and restless. Towards the morning, however, he appeared better, and fell into a deep sleep, from which he never woke. Mr Halligan was a man of genial disposition and kindly manners. He was much respected by all who knew him, and his death will leave a blank which it will be hard to fill. A widow and two children arc left to deplore his loss. An inquest will he hell on the body to-day at eleven o'clock, at the Pioneer Hotel, Gibson's Quay; and the funeral will take place on Thursday afternoon.  -West Coast Times, 23/9/1868.


CORONER'S INQUEST.

An inquest was held at the Pioneer Hotel, Gibson's Quay, at eleven a.ni; yesterday, before Dr. Berwick, District Cdrdner, on view of the hotty of Patrick Joseph Ualiigan, who had the previous morning been found dead in his bed.

The following evidence was taken: —

James Mulligan deposed — I have been in partnership with deceased for the last seven years. He had been complaining of indisposition for same time past. Three weeks ago he was very ill, and complained of disease of the heart. Last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday he was not very well. He looked flushed about the face, and had no appetite. He was attended by Dr Dermott, who saw him at six o'clock on Monday evening. Dr Dermott gave him some medicine which he took as directed. I believe the medicine was given to cause deceased to sleep, as he had had no rest for some nights previous. I last saw him at eleven o'clock on Monday night, when he was talking to the children. I advised him to go to bed, as the children were crying. He appeared perfectly sensible and took my advice, and retired immediately. The next time I saw him was on Tuesday morning. I generally went in to see him in his bedroom every morning about breakfast time. Mrs Halligan informed me that he had slept well during the night. When I went into the room I heard a slight rattle in his throat. I bent over him and put my hand on his cheek. I also felt his hands, which were cold. Mrs Halligan came in at the time, and asked me what was the matter. I took her out of the room, ran down to Mr Cooke, and asked him to keep her out of deceased's bedroom. I thought he was dead, but was not certain, as I was in a flurried state. I went for Dr Dermott who came up with me immediately. Had breakfast that morning about eight o'clock. Mr Halligan got up at a quarter or twenty minutes to seven. I have never known deceased to have fits, but he has frequently been seriously ill.

Thomas Cooke, landlord of the Pioneer Hotel, on being sworn, stated — About halfpast eight o'clock on Tuesday morning Mr Mulligan came in and asked to to see Mr Halligan, as he thought he was dead. I went into the house immediately, and found deceased lying on the bed. He was lying almost on his face. Under his armpits was warm, but his hands were stiff and cold. I thought he was dead. I stayed in the house until Dr Dermott came. I last saw deceased on Monday afternoon. He appeared to be then in his usual health.

Fitzhcrbcrt Dennett, legally qualified medical practitioner, deposed — I knew deceased for two years, and had attended him for eighteen months. I last attended him on Monday evening. I then gave him some medicine. I understood that he had eaten nothing for some days, so I recommended him to take a little stimulant and some strong beef tea. He said he would go to his business next day, but I told him he had better stop at home a d ay or two and recover thoroughly from his indisposition. On the following (Tuesday) morning, about nine o'clock, I was called hurriedly by Mr Mulligan, who said he feared Mr Halligan was dead. I immediately proceeded to his residence and found him dead. From the appearance of the body I should imagine that life had been extinct for two or three hours. The tongue was protruding. My opinion is that he died in a fit early in the morning. I made a post mortem examination of the body in conjunction with Dr. Rossetti. (Witness here described the condition in which he found the various organs). My opinion is that the cause of death was congestion of the brain. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.   -West Coast Times, 24/9/1868.


NOTICE. 

IN consequence of the death of Mr HALLIGAN, of the firm of Messrs Mulligan and Halligan, the undersigned have determined to wind up the Estate, so beg leave to call the attention of Storekeepers Hawkers, and Public that a Clearing Out Sale will commence on the 30th inst. The shop will be closed on Tuesday, the 29th, for preparing and re-marking the stock. (Signed) 

JAMES MULLIGAN AND CO.  -West Coast Times, 1/10/1868.

Hokitika Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment